Oxford Degree + Army = Arm?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by theoldlie, Sep 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

First post so please go easy on me. I'll be graduating next year and aim to go into RMAS for Jan 2012. I tire of all the corporate training contracts and internships my friends are chasing in the city, and instead want to do something 'real' and get my hands dirty. However, I still want to go into an arm that lets me put my academic skills to use. My careers advisor suggested Int Corps, the Sappers or even the Gunners. Could anybody advise me on the potential balance between soldiering and more intellectual duties for officers in these arms? I know the familiarisations are the best route for this but I am keen to learn as much as possible.

Thanks

2. Do the Corps mention need media studies graduates?

(Big clue to what you might be graduating with)

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well, if you're destined for a "gentleman's third", you could always opt for the chavalry.

4. What about the infantry?

5. Absolutely.

6. Not certain what is meant by that. I study English so no obvious route to follow through. I would not join the Cavalry for prestige, my only criteria is an arm that, at officer level, balances soldiering with a tradecraft that is valued well if and when I return to civilian life.

7. Infantry still sounds good. If you're an Oxbridge graduate then you have shown that you have intellectual capability. There's no logical path from an English degree to a service career (except perhaps the Army Education Corps if they still exist), so combine the intellectually proven ability with that of a vocation that shows ability to operate effectively under (sometimes extreme) pressure. You'll find plenty of potential employers if you can show you are capable of both.

8. Well stated!!

9. To quote Wavell:

First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm. The role of the average artilleryman, for instance, is largely routine; the setting of a fuse, the loading of a gun, even the laying of it are processes which, once learnt, are mechanical. The infantryman has to use initiative and intelligence in almost every step he moves, every action he takes on the battle-field. We ought therefore to put our men of best intelligence and endurance into the Infantry.

If you want to be truly intellectually challenged, as well as physically there is only one option open to you.

10. With the utmost appreciation and respect for your recommendation, I do not think he can follow your advice as all officers in the USMC must be American citizens. Nevertheless, your point is sound and I am confident that he can find a place in a British infantry regiment that will come close to the ideal. Getting my cover (hat) and coat..... ;-)

11. Well, he could join the Regiment the USMC drew it's ideals from.... ;)

12. Of course the Infantry only take top third at RMAS so unless you can cut it on all the other non intellectual bits then you may wish to consider being a lesser mortal!!

13. Indeed so-second best is never that bad. I would be remiss in not recommending the Bootnecks as well.

14. Oldie,

The only corps that you will really get any professional qualifications that relate directly to civvie street, medics, lawyers, teachers and vets aside, are Air Corps, Sappers and REME. However, if you are looking to develop and display on your CV effective leadership, man and resource management, mental agility, robustness, flexibility etc etc then most of the remaining capbadges will provide that. I take issue with the Wavell quote; he obviously had no inkling of the technical demands of artillery in all its various guises. His quote might hold good for soldiers but not officers where the skillsets are more mentally demanding than laying, loading and fuzesetting. Your academic skills will be utilised in any commissioned role - most officers are graduates these days so you are far from a special case. In fact you are already sounding a little precious! Do the research, do as many fam visits as you can and get through AOSB - then marry a capbadge at RMAS.

UQFEGD

PP

15. Thanks for the advice. I can see where you are coming from with the 'special' comment but I only wanted to suggest that I am more into the abstract side of things than the next guy. I certainly dont see myself as a special case. I'll do as you say and look into the infantry also.