Oxford blues not afraid of Paras killer fighters

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Stonker, Dec 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't find this story anywhere else on ARRSe - so 'pologies if its out there already.

Just interested to know:
    * When/where is is to take place?
    * How will I find out the results?
    * Is anyone planning to put the 'best bits' on YouTube or similar?

It sounds like it will be proper entertainment :D

2. 8-1 to Gungy 3 :wink:
    Well done lad's :lol: :lol: :lol:
    The loser has been posted to the ACC :oops:

3. Considering 3 PARA have won the Army Boxing Championships for a good few years now (unless on operational tour) we've a good chance of winning.

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Already have done. As Gungy says, 8-1 to 3 Para, but apparently some good competition from Oxford. Of course "good competition" means "first loser" :D

5. It's a shame that Oxford entered the ladies volly ball team by mistake :D :D

6. Hope a great geal of money was raised

7. True! 8O ,it should have their Mortar's :wink:

8. [​IMG]

9. Bloody hell :oops: who are YOU quoting then?

10. It's in the Telegraph (link at the top which you obviously never read :roll: ) so it must be true.
    In light of the outcome would it be fair to give any weight to it's accuracy?

11. To be as honest as I can :wink: no :lol:

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

There we go FSJ, I realise you are tired and made some typos at the end of your statement so I fixed it for you :wink:

13. Torygraph reported it on 3 Dec, it's 7 Dec today - I'm guessing that means the fights took place over the w/e.

In which case, it would be nice to have soemthing a bit more substantial than gungy's very brief SITREP "8-1 to the Paras"

If anyone out there has a link to a more detailed report (or better yet a video or 9) I for one would like to see it/them.

And - whatever the final result - Nul Points to the PR Machines of the Uni and the regiment, for not making this better known. You'd have thought in these days of 'reality' TV, with a bit of advance warning, this might have attracted some local TV sports coverage at the very least . . .

14. Just copied this from another site.

Thursday night at the main Gym at Wellington Barracks, London saw the clash of 3 PARA's B Team and Oxford University ABC, whilst the 1st Battalion the Grenadier Guards were deployed in Helmand.

Nine bouts, saw some good strong opposition but the night saw 8 - 1 in favour of 3 PARA.
    A great evening and lots of cash raised for Airborne Forces Charities with a signed picture of Bryan Budd VC taking the fight to the Taliban making just under £2K.

Shaw/Jackson and Pyke all in attendance

15. Unless the text above is the report in its entirety, is there any chance of posting a link? I tried googling for the words above, but still didn't find anything online.