• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Oxfam Staff Sexual Exploitation

As posted above...
churches, sports organisations, teaching, scouting, political parties...
And the frightening thing is that, guaranteed, many of the abusers and nonces were probably involved in more than one of them.
Lets not forget the 33 US Baptist's who tried to remove 33 children from Haiti, to an Orphanage that didn't yet exist. Natural disaster's seem to attract a lot of chancer's

Haiti Charges Americans With Child Abduction - NYTimes.com

Almost finished this book
View attachment 322954
Confirms pretty much everything I have seen myself and more to boot - never giving to mainstream aid charities again
A respected and experienced Dutch journalist and author, eviscerating a sector that's held up as a paragon of virtue - and banging heads with the best of them. Agree with her or not: Linda Polman "gives some powerful examples of unconscionable assistance...a world where aid workers have become enablers of the atrocities they seek to relieve" (The Boston Globe).

The Overseas Development Institute's response to Linda Polman’s critique of humanitarianism (2010) makes for interesting reading:
https://www.odi.org/sites/odi.org.uk/files/odi-assets/publications-opinion-files/5914.pdf

Last edited:

Raven2008

On ROPS
On ROPs
Cannot remember who on this thread rightly said about peeps with plum in their mouth doing most of the begging / pulling heart strings to raise cash for said charities.

Problem is in my neck of the woods - whether it be AI, RC, Oxfam, etc etc ---I have noticed its predominantly 20-30 (at times 18-30) yr old lasses with plums (am sure there are some of us would like to put our plums :D:p in their mouths) come up to you with their begging bowl.

I have also had the displeasure of getting into deep conversation only to find in some of them, theres a heartless biatch behind the fake smile and clipboard who are very stuck up.

Bear this in mind I am not trying to stereotype here, but just an observation as some of these peeps have physically gone out to these countries (may have roughed it in a mud hut / tent / wigwam or :D 4 star digs)
but I do wonder if they do it as a superiority thing/ betetr themselves and souls while being Queen B at same time?

I was at a launch of an Air Ambulance new helo a few years back, by chance a developing world charity helped spnsor the event (no free grub bar tea and coffee - had to buy from hotel bar). I spoke to pretty blonde plum-in-mouth-lass from said charity. Conversation started well, she said that they were different from the likes of STCF, AI , RC as no political agendas and agreed with me that a lot of these charities had hidden/political agendas. She had been to some of the poorest developing countries especially those that had a ton of IEDs from previous conflicts , explained how a lot of the do gooder charities failed to identify or comprehend that a lot of the peeps they help may not have two arms or legs, perfect sight and hearing, etc etc but work on the assumption those in need can comprehend and carry out instructions for their own safety wne wellbeing of them and their families. She said her chairty looked at that for example she said it was pointless relying on warning signs of mines if there is blind folk, or shouting instructions if some of locals refugess are death and dumb.

Conversation was going well till I asked her what their website was, and she got snappy and asked did I want the AA website..which i said I knew what it was otherwise how could I be at said event?

I wonder somedsy if the likes of Amnesty will end up under the media spotlight for any wrongdoings / misapropriations (which I would not be surprised).

cheers

Last edited:
Mine warning signs for blind? Shouting warnings to deaf?

I worry when I hear stuff like this. It's come up several times in the mine action sector. Unfortunately it's usually done by agencies looking for niche issues they can 'sell' to donors. I wish they'd (the plummy lasses et al) would spend a bit more time looking at the casualty data before they fixed on this sort of stuff. There are very few blind people that become mine casualties as a result of wandering into minefields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cannot remember who on this thread rightly said about peeps with plum in their mouth doing most of the begging / pulling heart strings to raise cash for said charities.

Problem is in my neck of the woods - whether it be AI, RC, Oxfam, etc etc ---I have noticed its predominantly 20-30 (at times 18-30) yr old lasses with plums (am sure there are some of us would like to put our plums :D:p in their mouths) come up to you with their begging bowl.
Worth remembering of course that in most cases, despite all of the branding etc, those charity fundraisers are in fact employed by fundraising agencies that take a % of what they raise....

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
1 Corinthians 13 1-3.

Chuggers, aka clipboard c****. Try to ban them and all sorts of opposition crop up from the likes of the Institute of Fundraising; got to keep the revenues up. Newcastle has trapped the buggers in little yellow boxes - only painted boxes unfortunately. They're restricted to two days a week between 10 AM-4 PM, all on pain of a hundred quid fine.

One poor little maligned chugger that bleats in the 'papers said last year, "It’s through the worst bits that I’ve built a sort of inner strength and resilience that mean I now have a complete lack of fear of rejection. It makes me feel liberated." Fancy that. And the anti-harassment brigade aren't even interested in these pests.

Matey also thinks some fundraisers are "profoundly brilliant" and that "fundraising tends to heighten people’s empathy and consciousness". Unfortunately, Oxfam's jollies have only raised empathy for its victims, in the public conscience.

The same career-pest is unable to fathom why the public should be condescending, rude and aggressive. "I have been punched, strangled, chased and attacked over the years, just for approaching someone". Newcastle Metro, 13/9/17.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I had an argument with a batsh!t-crazy woman who I had the misfortune to work with for a short while. She was a real animal rights mentalist who would harass me and my coworkers to donate money to various animal charities.

"Where's their registered head office?" Asks I, knowing full well where it was.
"Err, umm, well, it's in London."
"Which part?"
"Central London."
"Why the fcuk does it have a central London address?"
"I don't know what you mean," she lies.
"I mean, why does it have its HQ in one of the most prestigious (expensive) postcodes in this country? It could have its HQ in any town, it doesn't matter, the dogs and cats don't care."
"Oh, but it has to be in London, if you want people to take it seriously."
"You stupid woman, all that money that goes into funding their London building comes out of donations, so they're not really serious about looking after little foxy-woxy or fluffycat are they? They could help thousands more animals if they're willing to set up shop in Kingston, or Surrey."
"Yes, but, er, no but, er..."

On a separate, but familiar point, I had three or four direct debits running at one time for various charities but ended up cancelling them all when they'd phone me every three months asking for either a one-off donation of £50 or so, or increase the direct debit to twenty quid a month. Never satisfied, the fckurs, so they can have the square root of nuffink.

New announcement from Oxfam on the scandal, looks like they have worked an angle to turn to their advantage:

Oxfam: ‘Your Donation Will Help Us Protect Impoverished Girls From Our Employees’

International nongovernmental organization Oxfam announced a new pledge campaign Thursday requesting help in their effort to protect impoverished girls from sexual predation at the hands of Oxfam employees.
“Your donation can make a difference in the lives of girls in countries suffering from the effects of war, natural disasters, economic exploitation, or the unwanted sexual advances of our aid workers,” Oxfam executive director Winnie Byanyima said in a statement encouraging potential donors to sponsor a girl directly to ensure her continuing safety. “Our work in some of the world’s poorest, most harassed regions would not be possible without the generosity of people like you. Your donation can bring hope to girls suffering at the hands of our most debauched staff members.” Byanyima added that more than anything else, Oxfam was seeking committed, enthusiastic volunteers to help them combat further injustices.

https://www.theonion.com/oxfam-your-donation-will-help-us-protect-impoverished-1823242340

This thread attracted a lot of members who seem to have worked for NGOs. This is a strange question, but does anyone know where the icrc get the sinks/hand wash stations in the photo below. Are they locally made or are they something a company are producing. I have googled to no avail.

Screenshot_20180418-192424.png

This thread attracted a lot of members who seem to have worked for NGOs. This is a strange question, but does anyone know where the icrc get the sinks/hand wash stations in the photo below. Are they locally made or are they something a company are producing. I have googled to no avail.

View attachment 331484
Is that the after work, child brothel?

View attachment 331484
They look like part of a modular kit, ie part of a deployable field hospital/lab that would be flown in from outside of a disaster area. So probably made in the West somewhere.

Mine warning signs for blind? Shouting warnings to deaf?

I worry when I hear stuff like this. It's come up several times in the mine action sector. Unfortunately it's usually done by agencies looking for niche issues they can 'sell' to donors. I wish they'd (the plummy lasses et al) would spend a bit more time looking at the casualty data before they fixed on this sort of stuff. There are very few blind people that become mine casualties as a result of wandering into minefields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surely you just have to issue them with longer leads for their guide dogs?

I have also had the displeasure of getting into deep conversation only to find in some of them, theres a heartless biatch behind the fake smile and clipboard who are very stuck up.

Bear this in mind I am not trying to stereotype here, but just an observation as some of these peeps have physically gone out to these countries (may have roughed it in a mud hut / tent / wigwam or :D 4 star digs)
but I do wonder if they do it as a superiority thing/ betetr themselves and souls while being Queen B at same time?

I was at a launch of an Air Ambulance new helo a few years back, by chance a developing world charity helped spnsor the event (no free grub bar tea and coffee - had to buy from hotel bar). I spoke to pretty blonde plum-in-mouth-lass from said charity. Conversation started well, she said that they were different from the likes of STCF, AI , RC as no political agendas and agreed with me that a lot of these charities had hidden/political agendas. She had been to some of the poorest developing countries especially those that had a ton of IEDs from previous conflicts , explained how a lot of the do gooder charities failed to identify or comprehend that a lot of the peeps they help may not have two arms or legs, perfect sight and hearing, etc etc but work on the assumption those in need can comprehend and carry out instructions for their own safety wne wellbeing of them and their families. She said her chairty looked at that for example she said it was pointless relying on warning signs of mines if there is blind folk, or shouting instructions if some of locals refugess are death and dumb.

Conversation was going well till I asked her what their website was, and she got snappy and asked did I want the AA website..which i said I knew what it was otherwise how could I be at said event?

I wonder somedsy if the likes of Amnesty will end up under the media spotlight for any wrongdoings / misapropriations (which I would not be surprised).

cheers
Professional chuggers are only one down the food chain from timeshare sales people .
They're on commission , they have targets and will do what it takes .
They don't care about the particular charity who's tin they rattle .

Professional chuggers are only one down the food chain from timeshare sales people .
They're on commission , they have targets and will do what it takes .
They don't care about the particular charity who's tin they rattle .
My soon_to_be daughter in law did this while a student to earn money. Every day a different town, a different cause. Always the same agency and the same minimum wage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bad CO Charities and Welfare 0
brummieboy1 The NAAFI Bar 35
birduk Gurkhas 4