Oxfam Staff Sexual Exploitation

We got on the circulation list for the in house bullshit and was very noticable that it tended to feature staff at clean distribution centres, offices, conferences, receptions, BBQ's and on personal jollies rather than those who were actually at the sharp end in dismal shitholes.
Not charity related, but my last company who's HQ was based in Southern California did a quarterly newsletter emailed to all staff globally. Apart from the usual PR/Product/Trade show guff, it was full of how our US, Korean and Japanese, etc. colleagues were having another all expenses paid day out/BBQ/charity event at some expensive venue somewhere. It causes a bit of a stink in our EMEA operation, so instead of giving us the same, they just convinced the US to remove us from the mailing list and we never saw it again

Be interesting to see where this goes. We will start to see the inner workings of Oxfam and where the monies raised really goes. How many more skeletons they have been hiding.
We're already seeing it.

ISTR reading this morning that somebody is blaming this on the government (can't remember if it wasn't labour or oxfam)

Heard the labour shadow development minister demanding that individuals in oxfam should be chased down but not the organisation. Apparently only oxfam can deliver the aid. No doubt somebody in oxfam has had an 'oh f*ck we're losing our funding, call in the favours from the Labour Party.'

Maybe it's time we got a UK equivalent of USAID. Mainly a case of 'you're aid is coking from UKplc, toe the line.'

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I just hope Sub Lt Penny RNR at last gives Oxfam (and others) the rodding they have so long deserved and that the Charity Commissioners wake up and smell the coffee and indeed the stench of sewage after years of casual inaction.
( HMS King Alfred's Finest- I thought (wrongly perhaps) she's got her second stripe up?)

We're already seeing it.

ISTR reading this morning that somebody is blaming this on the government (can't remember if it wasn't labour or oxfam)

Heard the labour shadow development minister demanding that individuals in oxfam should be chased down but not the organisation. Apparently only oxfam can deliver the aid. No doubt somebody in oxfam has had an 'oh f*ck we're losing our funding, call in the favours from the Labour Party.'

Maybe it's time we got a UK equivalent of USAID. Mainly a case of 'you're aid is coking from UKplc, toe the line.'
Exactly. A lot of these big so called charities like to bite the hand that feeds them. I personally; am sick and tired of their political posturing.

Exactly. A lot of these big so called charities like to bite the hand that feeds them. I personally; am sick and tired of their political posturing.
It's all about the funding stream to keep the self kicking lollipop going.

There'll be a load of guardian reading high earners in oxfam and other NGOs bricking it. It's like Kids Company on a bigger scale.

Oxfam seem to forget that if they loose government funding others will very quickly be able to fill the void they leave.

Last edited:

HE117

LE
The idea that Charities and NGOs are neutral and benign is a myth..

You would be better to be blatant about it.. channel aid through the military and increase the size of med/sapper/log elements to cover..

..just a thought!

philc

LE

You would be better to be blatant about it.. channel aid through the military and increase the size of med/sapper/log elements to cover..

..just a thought!
A couple of proper medical staffed ships would be a bit useful. Bring it in house, more control, more effective.

..just a thought!
Yes.
and No.
Because guaranteed the rulers/dictator of disaster/drought-struck sh*thole will going screaming to the UN that this is just an imperialist/colonialist subterfuge to take control of the nation.

Also, with a bunch of chaps on stag with razor wire and pick helves, the chances of looting the kit at the dockside diminish.

And as most of the 'aid' sent from the west gets half-inched, or its distribution gets 'controlled' by the praetorian guard, thus keeping the victims in subjection, the dictators loose their strength.

We could debate who is exploiting who in that set up ad infinitum, but I just cannot believe that any woman can be repeatedly fucked for payment without incurring some sort of mental scarring or hang ups in later life
The romantic notion of the happy hooker dripping in diamonds and feeling great about herself is just that IMHO!
You may well be right and my wife and I have discussed this before. She has all the trappings of a wealthy woman. Nice car, a lovely house just a little down the road from our lovely house, a horse stabled in the local riding club and a little dog she takes with her when she goes running. She is very well dressed with good hair and obviously spends a fair bit on her 'beauty regime', as my wife puts it. What she doesn't appear to have is anyone to share it with. No husband, boyfriend, girlfriend and doesn't seem to have a close circle of social friends or family etc.

Maybe that's the price she pays. For all I know she may be crying herself to sleep every night when she is not out working.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
My point is I'm waiting for all the greyflakes on here to start criticising the British Armed Forces for using prostitutes around the world. Equally, I look forward to the request for "heads to roll" amongst our hierarchy, and a drive to make illegal prostitution amongst all of the UK's Armed Forces from those who are demanding that of the NGO/Charity sector. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Until then, I'm just hearing mass hypocrisy and chuntering by those who don't like the modern world.
Which is unlikely to happen given that the basis of most of the objections here are entirely reasonable and based on:

1. Some of those involved may have been under-age.
2. The aid workers involved were abusing a position of trust.

If any soldier is guilty of either of those breaches, I'm more than happy to have the law take its course with all possible severity and, when I had such responsibilities, to take all possible steps to prevent their contravention in the first place. Your straw man needs re-stuffing.

Back on thread, I wonder what the next generation of charity adverts will tell us can be purchased for just three pounds a month...

philc

LE
Quite amazing all things considered.

Seems one of the Oxfam trusties Caroline Thomson who made the big apology was involved in the Saville fiasco at the BBC, left under a cloud with £670,000.

Oh and she uses her maiden name rather than Lady Liddle.

This collection of individuals that seem to inhabit some upper layer of our society casting out their pearls of wisdom and direction are beyond belief.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bad CO Charities and Welfare 0
brummieboy1 The NAAFI Bar 35
birduk Gurkhas 4

Latest Threads