Oxfam Staff Sexual Exploitation

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My biggest bugbear is that the people who give the most to these charities are the people who don't have much money to spare in the first place.

I think if more people understood finances and were able to see Oxfam, et'als, balance sheets, they'd soon stop donating.
Charity commission website shows how much they've got in the bank or invested, most have more than me so if they would donate to me I'd be ever so 'umble.

Oxfam deputy chief executive resigns

Someone very near4 the top is falling on their sword for this one.

I'd rather nobody resigned & they stayed in-situ to answer for the actions of the organisation.
This shouldn't go away just because one of the top salary earners has jacked in her job.
The pay-off is probably substantial, along with the confidentiality clauses. And.it should be the CE and Chair that resign - not the 2IC.

My point is I'm waiting for all the greyflakes on here to start criticising the British Armed Forces for using prostitutes around the world. Equally, I look forward to the request for "heads to roll" amongst our hierarchy, and a drive to make illegal prostitution amongst all of the UK's Armed Forces from those who are demanding that of the NGO/Charity sector. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Until then, I'm just hearing mass hypocrisy and chuntering by those who don't like the modern world.
You are right, the patronising of local sex workers in places like Kenya by relatively wealthy British troops, flown there at the taxpayers’ expense, is of questionable morality (and questionable wisdom obviously).

But the thread isn’t about the behaviour of the British Army and it’s a bit daft to say that nobody here can pass judgement on what seems like widespread appalling behaviour of NGO workers in disaster areas because British soldiers have transgressed in the past.
Your whinges about hypocrisy have been noted.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You are right, the patronising of local sex workers in places like Kenya by relatively wealthy British troops, flown there at the taxpayers’ expense, is of questionable morality (and questionable wisdom obviously).

But the thread isn’t about the behaviour of the British Army and it’s a bit daft to say that nobody here can pass judgement on what seems like widespread appalling behaviour of NGO workers in disaster areas because British soldiers have transgressed in the past.
Eh?? Do you know how much it cost in Kenya??

£3 for a girl. £4 if you wanted her delivered to your tent. Cheap my arrse.

I wish I was kidding.

(Not that I know, mind. 1 in 4 and all that. I spent all my money in Belize in Raoul's)

*On high horse* /@alfred_the_great I don't disagree on the 'hypocrisy' angle nor would I argue about your "sauce for the goose and sauce for the gander". Yet Oxfam apparently wasn't just forced to deny covering up the use of prostitutes by its aid workers in Haiti and Chad.

There seem to be safeguarding issues that Oxfam failed to act upon. In the press today: A confidential report by the charity, seen by the Times, said there had been “a culture of impunity” among some staff in Haiti. It also concluded that children may have been among those sexually exploited by aid workers. The Independent.

Oxfam International staff have been apologising for "totally unacceptable and appalling behaviour" on Twatter.

Andrew MacLeod, the former chief of operations of the UN’s Emergency Coordination Centre has claimed that “predatory paedophiles” were now targeting charities in order to “access children” in the developing world.
"Culture of impunity": allegedly, staff were allowed to resign before investigations were concluded, and the charities watchdog "was not told the full story at the time of the investigation."

Oxfam has said that "allegations that underage girls may have been involved were unproven" - but they haven't been disproved. On the radio, "Oxfam could have picked this up earlier, but we didn't".

Sorry mate, but this probably goes beyond British Armed Forces using prostitutes around the world; these are charity safeguarding issues and we could be looking at aid-worker-sex-tourism and sex crimes, allegedly. \*off high horse*

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

I remember a priest getting caught cottaging, he was sent to Africa for retraining, expect he has been busy with little brown boys ever since.

I look forward to a thread started on here to castigate the behaviour of the British Army whilst whoring then...

I have no problem with calling out the behaviour of the Oxfam workers (or others); what they did was reprehensible and utterly wrong. There are significant cultural problems - led mainly by white middle class blokes* - within the international NGO community. Equally, there are some really dedicated personnel working out in the field as well.

I'm just bored of the old folk (in the main) on here being more than willing to condemn others without having the decency to accept they may well have been equally complicit in actions of "questionable morality"...

*you know, the ones the snowflakes aren't fond of. Does that feel uncomfortable, to be on the same side of the ones you mock frequently?

Eh?? Do you know how much it cost in Kenya??

£3 for a girl. £4 if you wanted her delivered to your tent. Cheap my arrse.

I wish I was kidding.

(Not that I know, mind. 1 in 4 and all that. I spent all my money in Belize in Raoul's)
Are you a Yorkshireman? You’d think at those prices Oxfam could afford to airfreight Kenyan prostitutes into disaster zones. Avoid all of this negativity.

I look forward to a thread started on here to castiga....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...Does that feel uncomfortable, to be on the same side of the ones you mock frequently?
No because I’m comfortable with my hypocrisy.
If you want such a thread, start one. And stop bleating on here about snowflakes and greyflakes and all sorts of other wobbly-lipped arsecake. Bloody matelots.

Last edited:
What are the Oxfam Haiti 'orgies with prostitutes' allegations?

Haiti’s age of consent is 18 and prostitution is illegal there. Paying for sex is banned under Oxfam’s code of conduct and is against UN guidelines for aid workers.
The charity said it did not call police because the state of the country made it “extremely unlikely that any action would be taken”.
Mr Van Hauwermeiren was permitted to resign because he co-operated with the investigation and the use of underage girls was unproven, it added.

The Legal Status of Prostitution by Country

HaitiIllegalbut it remained a widespread practice, particularly among women and girls. Police generally ignored prostitution

Oxfam staff in Chad held 'sex parties with prostitutes' | Daily Mail Online

I'm not advocating that its wrong to use prostitutes, but people should get off high horses for objecting to somewhere that is different from their point of view/laws in their country .

Also these were a few men (or women) that were caught and dealt with in 2011, why is a Charity that does so much good being targeted as a whole to lose funding, when they deal with so much more !!

...I still wouldn't stick anything in their jar

A surprising amount of charities depend on 'Grey Power' - retired people happy to work unpaid. My parents helped the RNLI for years emptying collection boxes in pubs. Drove round a few each day, emptied the collection boxes, counted the money and banked it.

If the bad publicity stops the retired working for some charities, they'll suddenly be all generals and no foot soldiers.

Wordsmith
Very true.
In the case of RNLI however, I think we are safe as paedophiles are not attracted to doing a job that requires guts and altruism.
RNLI is safe.

I suppose this is what happens when your charity starts taking the p!ss and supporting the opposition's narrative and objectives. Unlucky.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
,Oh how this takes me back to boarding school days, as we gathered to open the latest National Geographic in Geog classroom to look for pictures of big bouncy native women (voice trembles)

Ended up binning half of it - straight into the wheelie bin outside
Then from there some dealer buys it for £500.00 per tonne.The real rubbish is shredded and goes to furniture stuffing, cleaning rags, packaging etc the rest of the good stuff is sold in African markets.
Ghana is the best buyer.The locals refer to it as obroni wawu – which means “dead white man’s clothes”.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Then from there some dealer buys it for £500.00 per tonne.The real rubbish is shredded and goes to furniture stuffing, cleaning rags, packaging etc the rest of the good stuff is sold in African markets.
Ghana is the best buyer.The locals refer to it as obroni wawu – which means “dead white man’s clothes”.
Oh, no, I mean, it went into a council wheelie bin. Utterly trashed and disposed of. When I queried then they simply said it's not worth selling for the shelf space it takes.

Poor donator never knows if their kindly given items go to the shelf or the landfill.

Another interesting point is that Oxfam have taken an income kicking since these clothes per kg shops started. They are their biggest competitors now.

I remember a priest getting caught cottaging, he was sent to Africa for retraining, expect he has been busy with little brown boys ever since.
he should have took the "boney m" approach.....

& went "brown girl in the ring"