Oxfam Shops.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by brummieboy1, Aug 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went shopping in town this morning, walking down Market Street, I passed the Oxfam shop. In the window is a big sign, saying they will be closed for good middle of Sept.

Got me to thinking, what is that funny smell in Oxfam shops.

2. Old ladies wee in the clothes and shoes on the rack - and in the clothes and shoes of the old ladies behind the counter.

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The smell of all the money that is made and is not passed on to the deserving cause but used for "admin" purposes.

4. and dead cats that they keep in the "Toy Section".

5. Hopefully not the "Special Toy Section"

6. My friend used to say Woolworths smelt of 'Granny's and farts'.

I think Oxfam is more denatured chanel, mouldy pot pourri and a quixotic mix of laundry powder of varying effectiveness.

7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And the smell of rotting and decomposing flesh emanating from the zombies who staff the place.

8. That may be the real reason for it's downfall. Most Oxfams are, after all, still open.

9. Some of the shops dont have the facility to wash clothes on site so they normally use a machine similar to a wall paper steamer to steam the clothes which also removes creases. I have not been in a charity shop for a few years but support what they try to do.

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Oxfam woman on Radio 2 last week claimed that 1/3 of all money raised went on Wages and Admin

I know someone who started work for Banardo's on 40K

Nice if you can get it of Course it helps to have a degree... In Modern American History :wink:

11. Im just saying that they are a charity and every penny is supposed to be valuable and some of thease shops dont have the space to fit in washing machines or have the budget for it. If your sensible you would wash it before you wore it anyway

12. Mr D. I thought you'd kicked your Vodka, Red Bull and Bleach habit? :wink:

13. They've got space for dead cats and zombies though. Hmm? Hmm?

14. :geek: I deeply resent this unjust slur on my tailor ! :frustrated:

15. On the other hand, British Heart Foundation shops. Brilliant, especially for books. My local one even has a Miltary History section with about 6-7 feet of books on offer for peanuts.