Oxbridge Entry For Underprivileged

offog

LE
"Sam Dobin, the director of sixth form at Brampton Manor, said: “Every student here goes to university. We have a very traditional approach with no gimmicks or shortcuts.""
From the link in the original post.

This school is now a 6th Form College - only.

The story gave the impression that Brompton Manor is doing amazing things with local kids in its deprived catchment area when the reality seems to be that its pupils, creamed from a catchment area of more than 100 square miles, would be capable of achieving Oxbridge entry without attending this particular school. This school does, however, seem to have a means of introducing pupils (via the Oxbridge graduates) to the Old Boys' Network to secure an unfair advantage in the Oxbridge selection process.
You seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

My local sixth form has an area of over 300 square miles and also gets 99% a level success rate with 25 of the 28 courses getting 100%. It is normal in rural counties to travel over an hour to college and does course problems for any extra curricular activities as the bus service can be very bad to outlining villages (hense JC commitment to give free travel to under 25s was total bollocks). They are in the top 25% of the country.

I do accept that they are biging themselves up and a lot of similar schools/colleges could do the same. Someone probably twigged that using the school address and its place on the prosperity ladder would get their students an advantage.

Snip
I do accept that they are biging themselves up and a lot of similar schools/colleges could do the same. Someone probably twigged that using the school address and its place on the prosperity ladder would get their students an advantage.
Which is good to see, as I have posted before on similar threads when my daughter was going through the Oxbridge application process the school held special sessions for potential applicants. These were designed to "coach" the applicants by teaching them what was expected in the application process and interviews. The school invited the local state schools to send their potential applicants to benefit from these sessions, the response was interesting ranging from enthusiasm to dismissal of the help offered as it was from an elitest establishment some ignored the offer completely.

You seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.
You disputed one of my statements and I responded with a reference to its source.

I don't really have an issue with the school or its operations. It's the article that is utter balderdash, seeking to infer that the school's teachers are performing miracles whereas, in reality, the kids who would benefit from focussed teaching methods are being shoved under the mat and excluded by virtue of not having obtained the highest GCSE results at their previous, probably failing, school.

My eldest son took a pretty tough science degree at Cambridge.
He attended the local comp and 6th form college, and his biggest worry was that it would be full of hooray Henry types.
It actually couldn't have been further from the truth: you were pretty much judged on scientific ability and potential, plus a sense of humour. He made long lasting friends from all walks of life and although it was hard graft he had an absolute blast.

offog

LE
You disputed one of my statements and I responded with a reference to its source.

I don't really have an issue with the school or its operations. It's the article that is utter balderdash, seeking to infer that the school's teachers are performing miracles whereas, in reality, the kids who would benefit from focussed teaching methods are being shoved under the mat and excluded by virtue of not having obtained the highest GCSE results at their previous, probably failing, school.
No, I disputed your understanding of how A level courses are run. It is the same for all courses, if you don't have the grades you are unlikely to finish the course, doing the student a disservice by letting them do a course they have no hope of achieving. Unfortunately universities ignore this concept which is one of the reason so many do not complete or drop out or only get a 3. Not all students from the attached secondary school go to the sixth form because it is doing academic course which are not suitable for all. The same would apply to your comment about brushing low scoring students under the matt.

Although I have no love for ofsted, when they finally get round to taking on the universities and see the poor practises they have there will be lots of screaming and shouting.

D

Deleted 60082

And 5 Oxbridge graduates to help them get Oxbridge places? And where is the funding coming from to pay the salaries of these (apparently) non-teaching staff? Surely such august institutions aren't cooking the books to get a PC tick in the box.
Clare College, Cambridge, works with in Tower Hamlets and Rotherhithe (helped by the fact they own some of the land...). The College has partnered with a couple of schools and charities to encourage achievement and offers mentoring and large bursaries to help students who meet the academic criteria. And this is nothing new - they've been working in the area for a couple of hundred years, running various charities, Missions to Seamen etc.

Factoid of the day: Clare College held the mortgage on the Mayflower, eventually foreclosing on it and breaking up the ship. Timbers from her are reputedly found in barns across East Anglia.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 60082

He attended the local comp and 6th form college, and his biggest worry was that it would be full of hooray Henry types.
There were a few 'Tweedies' when I went; one memorable chap used to swan in for lunch in a long silk dressing gown and carrying a teddy-bear (and no, the bear was not Aloysius). Famously, he never attended lectures and only went to tutorials. And achieve a Double First in classics, if I recall correctly. But these characters added to the life and colour in College and across the town. They weren't malicious types, they weren't nasty and no different from the rowers, the, rugger-buggers and a lot more fun than the emos and the trustafarians.

My lad was encouraged to apply to Oxbridge next year. He did his research and opted for Durham instead. Those from an underprivileged background are not treated as equals by the majority of students and staff at Oxbridge.
Really? In this day and age? I haven't been to any British schools/ Unis so have no idea.

Really? In this day and age? I haven't been to any British schools/ Unis so have no idea.
You'll also be alien to the concept of fagging - which, in this context, has nothing to do with cigarettes.

D

Deleted 60082

My lad was encouraged to apply to Oxbridge next year. He did his research and opted for Durham instead. Those from an underprivileged background are not treated as equals by the majority of students and staff at Oxbridge.
I’m afraid I can’t agree with you. Over half of the students are from state schools these days and there is positive discrimination towards those from the state sector.

Amazing what schools can achieve when they pick the brainy pupils for their sixth form. That said, who's to say some chap can't make the grades for selection with a bit of effort regardless of background?
Course good grades are entirely the product of white upper class privilege, and this can only be rectified by giving those with straight F grades a place at Oxford . A degree should be available for free, you elitist lot!

I’m afraid I can’t agree with you. Over half of the students are from state schools these days and there is positive discrimination towards those from the state sector.
Just telling you what he discovered prior to applying. He's a switched on cookie for 17 and not prone to exaggeration.

This is simply untrue. Some students may treat people from different backgrounds differently but that's just life and not an Oxbridge-specific problem. I'd argue it's worse at Durham because the public schoolboys tend to be focussed in specific colleges (Hatfield particularly) while at Oxbridge academic merit conquers all.
Please see my last.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just telling you what he discovered prior to applying. He's a switched on cookie for 17 and not prone to exaggeration.
Discovered how? The multiple posters who have responded to your original post are talking from first (or in one case second) hand experience.

D

Deleted 60082

I’m really sorry to hear that and not the experience of my son’s friends going there or indeed, when I did my post grad there 14 years ago.

I can also vouch for the comments at Durham; my son has experienced a lot of public school boy braying at Exeter. But he went to boarding school so can take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a few 'Tweedies' when I went; one memorable chap used to swan in for lunch in a long silk dressing gown and carrying a teddy-bear (and no, the bear was not Aloysius). Famously, he never attended lectures and only went to tutorials. And achieve a Double First in classics, if I recall correctly. But these characters added to the life and colour in College and across the town. They weren't malicious types, they weren't nasty and no different from the rowers, the, rugger-buggers and a lot more fun than the emos and the trustafarians.
I'm sure for his peers he would have been a bit of an interesting character and added volumes to both the character and mystique of College.
In my lads case, it was the opportunity to lurk, dwell and experiment in world class laboratory facilities-each to their own I guess!

Amazing what schools can achieve when they pick the brainy pupils for their sixth form. That said, who's to say some chap can't make the grades for selection with a bit of effort regardless of background?
Course good grades are entirely the product of white upper class privilege, and this can only be rectified by giving those with straight F grades a place at Oxford . A degree should be available for free, you elitist lot!
You are Naledi Pandor and I claim my 'leventeen grazillion Zim dollars.

Clare College, Cambridge, works with in Tower Hamlets and Rotherhithe (helped by the fact they own some of the land...). The College has partnered with a couple of schools and charities to encourage achievement and offers mentoring and large bursaries to help students who meet the academic criteria. And this is nothing new - they've been working in the area for a couple of hundred years, running various charities, Missions to Seamen etc.

Factoid of the day: Clare College held the mortgage on the Mayflower, eventually foreclosing on it and breaking up the ship. Timbers from her are reputedly found in barns across East Anglia.
I work for Clare College, and can confirm this. Great strides are taken to reach out to schools and pupils in the Rotherhithe and Tower Hamlets area to introduce them to the University/College, and set the ambition for University from age 10 upwards. This includes hosting some families to visit the college and see what college life is like with their own eyes.
For those who make the grade but are unable to raise the funds to attend university there are also bursaries available to assist with the costs.

endure

GCM
Anyone who supports the Missions is alright by me

Latest Threads