Own up - Who was issued these bad boys

Yep I had the case and the sausage bag issued when I first joined up, I tried handing them back into the QM's after basic and got told to do one.

Bottom one was called a balsak (ballbag) in SADF. Still got mine stuffed with my webbing and browns. Probably under a couple of boxes of books in the store room.

Issued with one in '62. Still had old kit bag,pic from '61 returning to Blighty on Oxfordshire. We had sea kit bags issued for voyage as well.(White ones)
various1388.jpg

Last edited:
Had both issued. I remember rocking up in Aldergrove with the suitcase and feeling I stick out like a dogs bollox. Luckily, A copper pointed me in the direction of the mover's desk, as I wasn't expected and no one had been sent to pick me up. 655 Sqn had to send a cab to pick me up.

Didn't get the suitcase. Had the sausage bag. Even better was the Sea Kit Bag that I was issued when I went on ops with 29 Cdo RA. Like a sausage bag that you could actually fit stuff in. Travelled the globe with me......still in the attic filled with my tour souvenirs.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The kit bag was why everything had to be folded into 9 inch squares at one point.

I remember a lad in basic painstakingly copying his cav cap badge onto the side of his suitcase.
Very detailed and admired by all.
Only problem was, it was upside down.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember a lad in basic painstakingly copying his cav cap badge onto the side of his suitcase.
Very detailed and admired by all.
Only problem was, it was upside down.
Still got case. Bears my surname and last 3 on the lid, by the handle, De rigeur.

Unlike a colleague, who painstakingly brought his case to him, handle nearest, to use soldier pen to apply his name and last three. Put it on the ground, it read 118 ENITNEROLF. Poor Florry. Heart of gold but sadly lacking in sharp pencils.

Last edited:
Still got the case and its successor, the green holdall (that didn´t hold much). I have a lot of baggage - story of my life.

The kit bag was why everything had to be folded into 9 inch squares at one point.
Anyone else heard this ?

Only time I actually deployed using my sausage bag, 9 inch squares / ironing / folding were not really uppermost in most peoples thoughts.

The rest of the time it was used for junk storage.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Before the Paddies got a bit shooty, there used to be a trend for decorating the suitcases with tours, cap badges etc. Some of them were works of art, anybody got any pics?

Latest Threads