"Overweight"

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Rugby_Mad, Apr 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey was just wondering about how seriosuly they take BMI at the ADSC, because when i first started my selection my recruiter took my height and weight and said i was slightly over weight, something silly like 4lbs or something (still a fatty I know).

But the thing is I can still do a 1.5 Miles in around 11 and half minutes and knock out around 40 pressups and 5 or 6 pull ups.

So I suppose my real question is will I be written off immiedatley because of a shite BMI or will they wait to see my physical capabilites first?

Thanks in advance :)

2. The BMI is an unfortunate affair, I've seen short, stocky rugby players fail due to being 5" tall but 13 stone with a 32 inch waist.

At ADSC I would asess (ie; NOT gospel), they will take into account your fitness levels as regards to the BMI in relation to your run time, the pass levl on the static lift, etc, and treat accordingly. That is not to say that you should not improve your run time, as that is an OK pass at best- you should be aiming for at least the 9 minute mark.

If your ACIO/ AFCO has cleared you to attend ADSC, then I would asess that you are not exactly over the top of the weight limit for your height, but more a borderline pass. (Excuse me if that seems a little harsh).

OK, in answer to your question I very much doubt that so long as you can pass the physical tests that you will be deffered due to your BMI scoring.

Bear in mind that I am not ADSC staff, but am simply offering my own opinion, albeit more than slightly steaming... :oops:

3. "short, stocky rugby players fail due to being 5" tall but 13 stone with a 32 inch waist."

ahhhh unfortunatley that is a sentence that somes me up perfectly lol nevermind thanks for your reply anyway :)

4. Any of advice out there?

starting to shit it a bit now :( lol

5. are you just a fat flobber, or are you a proper rugby player with shoulders that stand out and a physique, you have a BMI before your medical and i remember a guy on my ADSC who did get deferred for being overweight and he didnt look fat at all we was all very shocked, If your worried and you say its only a matter of a few LB over weight you could loose that in a sauna in 2-3 hours, take shit loads of water if you bother doing this.

Cal

6. are you just a fat flobber, or are you a proper rugby player with shoulders that stand out and a physique, you have a BMI before your medical and i remember a guy on my ADSC who did get deferred for being overweight and he didnt look fat at all we was all very shocked, If your worried and you say its only a matter of a few LB over weight you could loose that in a sauna in 2-3 hours, take shit loads of water if you bother doing this.

Cal

7. msr

msr LE

1.5 Miles in around 11 and half minutes

You need to work on your fitness...

msr

8. are you just a fat flobber, or are you a proper rugby player with shoulders that stand out and a physique, you have a BMI before your medical and i remember a guy on my ADSC who did get deferred for being overweight and he didnt look fat at all we was all very shocked, If your worried and you say its only a matter of a few LB over weight you could loose that in a sauna in 2-3 hours, take shit loads of water if you bother doing this.

Cal

9. 5 inches tall is pretty short.

10. but dont they take into
    account how much muscle
    you have?
    rather than just say your fat
    and too heavy

11. The BMI index is a measure of whether you are at a correct weight for your height. The optimal BMI index is 18.5 to 25. Any higher or lower and your considered underweight/overweight. Here is a measurement chart to work out your BMI index.

[​IMG]

Being a little under or over is no big issue as you can correct this usually without problems. Being massively over or under is indicative of both a current problem and possible future issues.

The trouble with the BMI index is its not reliable at all for people who do a lot of exercise. Like people who are trying to join the british army! Something I don't think the army takes into account for. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat and therefore it can knock the BMI index out (By quite a large amount).

12. thanks for the relys guys and yeh msr, I'm running it every day, hopefully I wont be a 13 stone waste of space soon lol

and cheers solider a, but unfortuantley I am offically overweight, is it better if just let my recruiter know and put off my ADSC for a few weeks and try and shift the weight?

13. Sorry for the triple post bloody thing was so slow didnt know if it had worked, I would reccomend putting it off for a few weeks mate saves alot of hassle in the long run. Trust me on this :(

14. ahhh no worries mate, thanks for your advice, I'll let him know and then hit the atkins diet and keep up the fitness lol

15. So according to that chart I am not only overweight but borderline obese

Might as well leave then, obviously the 9.20 on the PFT and 60 pressups isn't good enough