Overweight Knockback

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by carlcardiff, Oct 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Made my first steps towards joining the army today.
    Filled out the application for Royal Engineer (bricklayer)
    Just wondering if my weight will be a problem, I have no problem with the fitness requirements but am over weight by a couple of stone.
    Do they go purely on a Height / Weight basis. Or is it more along the lines of if you can do the fitness it doesnt matter how much you weigh.
    Ive got no problems putting in the hard work and losing it if needed, but just thought id ask before i go for my barb.

2. Best bet start working to loose it, I think they use BMI to judge but as long as you can meet the fitness requirements and can get your BMI down to the accepted ranges, I wouldnt think it should be a problem.

3. Start losing it mate. Best not to take the risk and you'll feel a lot better if you lose it before the gym queens start making you lose it.

4. Yeah i agree. Start my running program from tomorrow then.
    Always been pretty fit but to many boozy nights out in the last year have put abit of a gut on me.
    whats an acceptable bmi?
    I think mines about 27 or 28 at the moment.

5. Unfortunatly the BMI is a simple measurment of hight and weight so if you are very fit (muscle wieghs far more than fat -- most of the 6 nations rugby players would fail the BMI) there is no problem, but it is a recruiting tool and guide. If you are fit and carry no excess weight it still should not be too much of a problem - but you must be honest with yourself.

6. Oh im not very fit by any means. But at present i can just scrape the 1.5mile run time and no problem with push ups and sit ups.
    Im just the rugby player type build, always been big but always active and fit. I think it will take about 2 months of training to get the gut off

7. Unfortunately it does go on the BMI (which is still around 27) I believe but a recruiter will be given a chance to send you through to selection if he believes your body fat is below 20 %. This is hard to judge at the ACIO and I sent a couple down in my time who were passed by the sisters at ADSC and a few who were deferred. By the end of the day get your self below the BMI standards for the application process which the Recruiter will inform you of when you go to the ACIO. If your working on your running then you should lose a bit of excess anyway.

8. Yeah, my BMI isnt to far from 27.
    But im going to train for a couple of months first anyway.
    Rather go to the fitness tests with confidence. Abit annoyed that ive let myself get over weight. But i guess phase 1 will whip that out of me anyway.
    Cheers for the advise guys.

9. Sadly, they still use the farcicle BMI system. They allow a little lee-way based on your frame, I'm not sure if 27 falls within that lee-way though.

My BMI is nearly 28 (overweight!), but I am lean/athletic build and currently midway through RM training, so I must be doing something right.

Start training now if you don't already, and you'll probably suprise yourself anyway.

10. I was told that the upper limit for BMI is 30. Although BMI is rediculously inaccurate 30 is undoubtadly too fat. When I was in peak condition my BMI was 26 (which is quite overweight) and I had hardly any fat so there is clearly a problem with the system. If you are a weird build (stocky or lanky) you might register as outside healthy limits but a BMI of 30 classifies you as obese so you definately should be under that!

J.

11. My old Tiffy, was RM trained etc etc, he was tall, very fit, big fella, but not fat. According to his BMI he was obese. I think the fact that the Army use this BMI pish when people join now a days is a joke.

12. BMI of myself = 20 at 5"10

13. By the BMI system it does, but it doens't mean you are obese. Linford Christie was "obese".

14. BMI is very inaccurate. In this day and age, why cant they go for a body fat measurement
    My BMI is 28. I am a little over weight, maybe half a stone or so. But my arms legs and chest are all still solid from years of rugby.
    Im confident i could do the majority of the basic fitness tests. But just worried about the pull ups as ive always struggled with them.
    If 30 is the upper BMI limit then ill be fine. But i thought it would be the "healthy weight" section of the BMI

15. BMI is nonsense.
    Recruities should be judged by run time, and a few tests of upper body strength. They should be given some tasks requiring initiative to complete under pressure and assessed on teamwork and attitude to discipline.
    Either an individual is ready to begin basic training or isn't. BMI has no bearing on it.