Overstretch pushes British troops to the brink

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jan 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/4214029/Overstretch-pushes-British-troops-to-the-brink.html
  2. I am not surprised to hear this. Depressed and resigned to it, but not surprised. The intensity of operations the guys and girls are facing whilst on these Ops is also a great concern that should be flagged up. The combination of repeated ops and intensity will have a huge impact downstream (PTSD and retention being just 2 issues)

What I am surprised about is that these facts have only been made public because of a Parliamentary Question. This type of information should be continuously monitored and published - it does seem that this a surprise to the press and indeed the politicians.
  4. And if the people who pick up the pieces like Combat Stress are also already severely over stretched, how on earth will they cope in the future?

It's shurely simple - commit less or fund more?!
  5. Sadly, 'Stalin' Brown will not be a jot disturbed by these scandalous figures.

Additionally, 'Bottler' Brown will not care about low retention figures. Fewer Service personnel means less to be spent on pay et cetera, resulting in more money for the oaf to give away to his 'clients' in the Labour heartlands.

Decimated Armed Forces with low morale, inadequate and poor equipment, a lack of clear direction from the government, lack-lustre leadership at the very top (Walker and Jackson) all help this disgraced gang of third rate oiks feel safe from a revolution!

Their wholly politicised police keeping the people in check, with the Armed Forces so reduced in effectiveness as to be unable to intervene.
  6. msr

msr LE

Or hand the army over to EuroCorps?
  7. MSR are you and I the only ones who see Euro Corps/Army/ Whatever coming ?
  8. No, one or two more on here have the same hallucination.
  9. I am sure that every night logged on JPA as a night out of bed away from your Permanent Duty Station is put down on your Separated Service Reporting.

Of course you have to be move and tracked first which is sometimes a pain in the arse, but as they say every little helps and it does go to the Harmony Guidelines.

Whether they actually use them or not is a different matter altogether
  10. UK in the Euro Army wont happen, our relationship with the US and how we embed capability together would not allow for this to happen.
  11. For years now, Nato nations have been committed to reach a minimum defence spending target of 2% of GDP. Yet 20 of them, including Canada, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain, have fallen far short. Among the six that have reached the target, the shares of four (including Britain and France) are in decline. Inevitably, that means the US carries ever more of the load and becomes ever more sceptical about taking Europe seriously.
  12. From here on the brink it is a lovely view.
  13. So an 80 to 50 percent chance that breaching guidelines doesn't increase the risk of PTSD. The reports conclusion is the exact opposite of what this article claims it to be!
  14. With respect, parapauk, I think you may have misunderstood the quote. The research concluded that longer tours/shorter tour intervals increased the statistical risk that a given individual would develop PTSD symptoms.
  15. You're likely right that that's what they ment to say, but it is badly phrased.