Overseas Short Tour of Duty

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ajboyall, Mar 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

My name is Alex and I am posting here to ask if anyone knows of any Army or related site with listings of current overseas avalibilities for short tours of duty, for my mum. She is in the RLC, a L/Cpl, and is also a medic class 1, so is looking for open medic deployments around the world, i.e N. Ireland, Kosovo, Bosnia, the Middle East, Africa, etc. If anyone has any information, please reply below.

Thanks,

Alex

2. Tell her to speak to her OC during her next CR/MYA interview. Tell her to ensure she completes a preference of posting form to back up the comments on her CR in the "where the hell does this soldier want to serve" box! :D

3. To answer your question - there isn't a 'one-stop' website for deployments, although I think it would be a great idea!

The advice above is sound - your mum will either have to 'ask' to go on tour and have that request noted in a MYPR or CR; or she could simply volunteer for any of the inumerable tours 'trawls' that come around. I reckon at least 5 a day cross my desk looking for TA types to fill gaps and otherwise provide the capability that the Regular component can't (for a number of reasons!)

Pass our best onto your mum - we don't employ our TA/Reserves effectively, but it's always good to see more large hearted people willing to serve (and hold down civvy jobs etc etc). :D

Edited to add: The current 'must fill' theatre is clearly Iraq, but we are also expanding in the Congo (widely reported OSR). If she wants to wait a while, she could try Afghanistan in 2006?

4. msr

msr LE

Tell her to speak to her Adjt and request a list of postings from CVHQ

msr

5. yeah, just the same as above, ask her unit...

6. Actually, why isn't there an online , frequently updated trawl database?

It wouldn't take a lot of doing, all the components. Armynet etc are already there.

7. Hi,

Thanks for all your advice, I'll pass it on. :D

Alex