Overseas Opportunities

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by SamD93, May 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hello folks,

    Having just finished my studies for this academic year I am now at a bit of a loose end until October. I am trying to get away for a few weeks/ months through training with the TA preferably on an overseas exercise like BATUK, but I have no idea how to go about applying for something like this as my unit is quite unhelpful in this respect.

    As I am only a Sapper I'm not expecting anything too gucci, but does anyone know how to go about getting training opportunities like this and can OTXs be viewed on DII?

    Many thanks,

  2. depends if your Unit or any TA unit is going on oversea's training
  3. There are always TA units on overseas training, however my unit does this very little. I will elaborate on my first post, I meant going out as an individual, as this applies to me and other students who have long periods of unemployment during the summer months.
  4. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Sensible answer:

    You will need your unit to support you in this. Your SPSI will be able to find out which units are doing something over that period, and whether they need/have space for you. They will also be able to check on MTD availability, CO's training directives etc. You can't do this on your own, so don't try.

    Gloating answer.

    Work harder and transfer to a better unit. We are currently juggling the options for USA, Belize, Holland (main camp) with other stuff appearing on the programme very regularly.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. There are individual opportunities for exchanges, for instance with USNG, which are coordinated through units, usually these are at SNCO and officer level only though.

    There are regularly opportunities for extended training, usually on short FTRS contracts, for example on the BATUS training team. These can usually be found on the MSWeb section of Armynet although trawls may come through unit CoC. You would need the appropriate skills or rank and they are not likely to cater for 'summer holiday' availability.

    There are an increasing number of OTXs available to the TA this year and subsequent years as part of TA betterment. This should mean more access to OTXs for all, and not just for the gloaty man above. Having said that, it is up to your CoC to bid for these OTXs and some units will not have an appropriate role for the OTXs available.

    Finally, if you are looking for something to fill that long uni summer, why not commission into the TA on the consolidated TACC+ 8 week course. Sandhurst always felt like another country to me...
  6. go and ask your PSI about Askari thunder/whatever it's changing to. We had/are about to have a section of sappers (TA) attached to the training infantry battalion, with a view to supplying the same for the next one.

    Failing that, and if it's just days pay you're after there are usually any number of cadet camps looking for support over July and August.

    Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. Many thanks for the replies. Does anyone know when Ex Askari Thunder is due to commence?

  8. Isn't Ex Lion Sun a free for all ?
  9. Yeah you are probably right mate. The question is how did you go about getting on Ex Askari Spear in the first place?