Overseas Call Centers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Judge_John, Jul 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They are an utter Joke!!.

I called LloydsTSB last night to order a new Cheque Book. I nearly had to get a English-Urdu, Urdu-English phrase book out!.

It took 15 minutes to order the blasted Cheque Book!.

Im seriously thinking of changing banks, so I can speak to somebody who can understand a good command of English!!

Im sure people have had worse experiences than me..
  2. I kept being asked to repeat my question (again Lloyds/tsb) to the charming young asian man, i said dont you speak english, and he hung up!!! Not very good service id say. Anyway Lloyds/TSB are ***
  3. Trying to find my SWIFT, IBAN, BIC codes and routing number to give to our Budget and finance department for their new digital age claim forms.

Was told by the ever so helpful call centre on the Sub-Continent that what I needed to do was tell BudFin my logon passwords to my Internet accounts so they could find out for themselves.
  4. I did spend rather a long time on the phone to a shopping channel talking to a asian gentleman. Good job it wasn't a free-phone number as I had to get him to repeat himself every time he said something. He ended up getting really frustrated with ME! Honestly I was like Marjorie from Fat Fighters; "No, say again", "Didn't get you", "Can you repeat that?".

He ended up letting out a massive sigh at me! He he he!
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I have some experience in the setting up of offshored operations and am co-writing a book on the subject (one of those cheapo management books you can find at the airport). Anyway, here's an article I co-wrote on the subject for the Wall St Journal from the corporate point of view:

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Theres one bank just switched its call centres back to Blighty for this reason, but I cant remember who it is?

My favourite was a 118 Directory Enquiries call.

"Classified advertising on the London Evening Standard please"

"Which town is that in please?"

"Scunthorpe pet. Try Scunthorpe"
  7. [quoteMy favourite was a 118 Directory Enquiries call.

"Classified advertising on the London Evening Standard please"

"Which town is that in please?"

"Scunthorpe pet. Try Scunthorpe"[/quote]

A funny example I came across was actually face to face with a Polish Shop assistant in an Off Licence in Ireland:

"Do you sell Gin"

"Dose she work here, maybe she works in the evenings"!!!!!!!!

I had to walk out as I could not stop laughing...
  8. Back to banks

First Direct - 18 years with them and never a single cause for complaint.

Mind you, the call centre is in Leeds. Might be difficult for some.
  9. I'm not sure it is just the overseas call centres. I once phoned Rail Enquiries (or whatever it's called) .... used to be 0845 48 49 50 and spoke to the advisor, who had an English accent. I asked if there was a train leaving my nearest station at around 11.00 am. She gave me the details for the train departing at 11.59!!! :? So I questioned whether there was a 10.59 departure. Oh yes. :roll:
  10. Outsourcing industry "in joke"

"Hello this is the Indesit service centre, how may I help you today"

"Oh hello - my washer has broken down"

"Oh dear - I'm so sorry - perhaps they will feel better tomorrow - is there anything else I can help with?"
  11. Looking for a new Bank?

I recommend Natwest - UK callcentres and a direct line to your local branch.

Like what banking used to be before they decided to make billions out of our gullibility.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

All Highstreet banks are theiving scum. I've worked for several of them and they're all stealing money from you one way or another. Some are just better at hiding it than others.
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I've just been through the edifying process of transferring a BT Broadband account between different addresses. Interestingly, the 'sales' call centre was clearly UK based and was a reasonably slick operation - not surprisingly I suppose as their purpose was to attempt to empty my wallet - whereas the technical assistance call centre was on the sub-continent. This was somewhat more of a lottery. I needed to make 8 'technical' calls, of which 6 went reasonably well whilst two featured individuals (male) who, try as I might, I could not understand at all. Of the 6 effective calls, the best three were with female operators who spoke good clear English (and two of whom were up for some jolly banter) whereas of the three blokes I spoke with, two had some difficulty in making themselves understood.

Obviously not a scientific sample, or anything like it, but interesting.

BTW, as for Nat West dooing banking in the old way - cobblers! Yes, you can call your own branch, but there's fcuk all they can do other than give you the numbers for the national or regional call centres which deal with whatever you're calling about. The lovely Mrs cpunk banks with Coutts, who do offer a 'traditional' service, but she pays through the nose for it.
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Coutts, Natwest by another name of course..
  15. I buy a lot of logistics support every year. I will not trade with any supplier who has their service or support center abroad. It's got me into a bit of bother with some organisations, but what the heck (even got accused of being racist once !).