Overpayment spent

I know what the answers will be, I should have kept it, you shouldn't have spent it etc! I know that and for one reason or another I have. I was supposed to leave the Army last year and was paid my resettlement grant. Then a nice big carrot was dangled from MCM and I ended up reversing my decision and staying in. I was told to wait until I was asked for the 10k before giving it back. Over the last year and a bit it's slowly whittled away and now they want it back! What options do I have to repay other than taking out a personal loan?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Apply for Redundancy?

Mong. Speak to your Admin Staff - pretty sure there's a limit to how much they can take out per month. If you get out, any monies owing will be taken from the terminal lump sum (again, I think). If you search on this forum, it has been explained before.

Go on JPA, call up your pay statement and look for an outgoing with the letters NPD next to it. I think that means Non Public Debt and is one of the ways debts are shown on pay statements being taken out of your pay.

Are you selling any gear cheap like? Just asking.

D

Davetheclown

employers can overpay you, they are not allowed to recover it through your wages, MoD will break the law and do so anyway!.

employers can overpay you, they are not allowed to recover it through your wages, MoD will break the law and do so anyway!.
Bollocks

By law, your employer is only entitled to make certain deductions from your pay. They can deduct tax and national insurance (NI) and they can also make other deductions for which they have previously got your written consent or which are allowed in your contract of employment.

However, if there has been a genuine overpayment of your wages, your employer doesn't need your consent to recover this. They can make a deduction from your wages without your agreement. There are some exceptions to this rule and there are special rules about deductions made from shop-worker's pay.
Citizens Advice - Can my employer make me give back overpaid wages?

The first thing you need to accept is that this was not an overpayment………it was a grant to which you are now not entitled.

I would suggest stop smoking, drinking and start walking everywhere. They are going to take it back.

You can only declare yourself bankrupt if you can prove that you have no source of income.

I know what the answers will be, I should have kept it, you shouldn't have spent it etc! I know that and for one reason or another I have. I was supposed to leave the Army last year and was paid my resettlement grant. Then a nice big carrot was dangled from MCM and I ended up reversing my decision and staying in. I was told to wait until I was asked for the 10k before giving it back. Over the last year and a bit it's slowly whittled away and now they want it back! What options do I have to repay other than taking out a personal loan?

You open a company called the Arse Tickler's Faggot Fan Club. You take an advert in the back page of some gay mag, advertising the latest in arse-intruding dildos, sell it a bit with, er... I dunno, "does what no other dildo can do until now", latest and greatest in sexual technology. Guaranteed results or money back, all that bollocks. These dills cost twenty-five each; a snip for all the pleasure they are going to give the recipients. They send a cheque to the company name, nothing offensive, er, Bobbie's Bits or something, for twenty-five. You put these in the bank for two weeks and let them clear. Now this is the clever bit. Then you send back the cheques for twenty-five pounds from the real company name, Arse Tickler's Faggot Fan Club, saying sorry, we couldn't get the supply from America, they have sold out. Now you see how many of the people cash those cheques; not a single soul, because who wants his bank manager to know he tickles arses when he is not paying in cheques...

There's your 10Gs right there.....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

That's a ****'s trick. Those who go bankrupt should be put into debtors' prisons and work their debt off.
It's not always a ****'s trick, but it will severly **** up your life. You'd be a complete tool to go bankrupt over £10k, particularly when it's owed to one creditor and you're in full time employment.

D

Davetheclown

uh got it wrong, i had a overpayment and the MoD tried to take it out in one go, which they did giving me neg balance quick call to my free legal service. Thank you AA, and the AA sorted it out, they can take a payment out but not in one go. They are not allowed to cripple you and they have to pay you for time earnt BEFORE recuping the cost. What i got wrong was they cant make you work for free to recover cost, woops, you can be means tested and they can only take fixed percentage back of your wages.

Sorry if i got it wrong.