Overlooked UKs most decorated serving soldier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Dec 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite a story - I bet the post ALWAYS got through from his corner shop/ post office

Staff Corporal Flynn: most decorated serving soldier

A soldier in the same regiment as Prince William and Prince Harry has become the most decorated member of the Army after winning two of the highest awards for bravery in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Staff Corporal Michael Flynn, 46, of the Blues and Royals, part of the Household Cavalry, left the Army five years ago after thirteen years’ service to run a shop and a post office in a village in Lincolnshire.

He was persuaded to go back into the Army at the age of 41, and in five years he has demonstrated such extraordinary courage in the two most dangerous overseas operations that he has just added the Military Cross to the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, second only to the Victoria Cross, which he won for two incidents in Iraq in 2003. He won the MC in Helmand province, southern Afghanistan, at the height of the clashes with the Taleban in August.

His name appeared in the operational awards list in The London Gazette last week, but his double bravery had gone unnoticed. The Ministry of Defence confirmed that the second award made him the most decorated soldier in the Army.

Speaking to The Times while on leave at his home in Marsh Chapel in Lincolnshire, Staff Corporal Flynn, who is married with two sons and a daughter, acknowledged that since going back into the Army he had managed to get himself into a number of scrapes. He was already a veteran of the 1982 Falklands conflict and of Northern Ireland when he lost several comrades in an IRA ambush.

His main “scrapes” are described in the citations for his two awards which reveal a man who, under the heaviest of enemy fire and facing the most overwhelming odds, never gives up when there are injured comrades at stake.

Staff Corporal Flynn said that he will soon take up a new post helping to recruit more soldiers for the Blues and Royals.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2512481,00.html

2. Let's hope that the Times isn't the only paper to spot this.

Not on here, it hadn't!

By the by, has the Times understated his length of service? If using the Times's maths, he left in 2001 after 13 years, which would mean he joined up six years after fighting in the Falklands...

3. Got into a number of scrapes!! bit of an understatement if you ask me!!

It's patently obvious that the Times fecked up the dates, I'd hardly think that Mr Flynn was walting up service in the falklands if he hadnt been there

4. whats a staff cpl when its at home?
    know cpl of the horse is ether sgt major or RSM basically you do what they say at the speed of light never hear of a staff cpl though ?

5. Staff Corporal = Staff Sergeant: Three chevrons, point up and worn on the lower sleeve, with metal crown above

6. Staff Cpl is like a S/Sgt or SSM.

Cpl of Horse = Sgt.

So now you know.

T C

edit for spell... damn you redcap!!

7. Staff Cpl is basicaly the same as SSgt.

Ranks are (I think)

Tpr, LCpl, LCoH (full screw), CoH (Sgt), Staff Cpl (SSgt/CSgt) Sqn Corporal Major (WO2) then Regimental Corporal Major (the WO1 big badge-man/RSM).

PD

8. Did you get that? I think three times three different ways should be enough...

T C

9. Staff Corporal = Staff Sergeant: Three chevrons, point up and worn on the lower sleeve, with metal crown above

10. Just to confuse matters i have a question:

when i was at ATDU we had 2 SNCO's from the household cav, a RCM (WO1) and a Staff Cpl.

When the Staff Cpl answered his phone he said "Cpl Major soinso speaking"

Is this something to do with the appointment he holds?

11. Obviously the title 'Sergeant' isn't good enough.....

12. Is that not a title used when on duty?? :?

13. Thought it was four chevrons

14. lifes really to short
    so staff sargents like a colour sgt but for a non teeth arm (always got a wind up for sig and reme staff sargents( best said in a innocent and curious tone )

15. He looks really normal for someone who is so nailers....

Ratcatcher