Overloading

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by crashdummy, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Gents,

Just a small question today, regarding the theory of overloading the body to bring about improvement, whether it be cardiovascular or muscular.

At the Factory I saw a certain company being ragged about from A to B all day long, and would run even to cover short distances, at a fair pace. Would this bring about a change in fitness, or was it for the fuckabout factor? Just a matter of curiosity.

I've read that your heart needs time to realise it's being worked hard, in order to strengthen itself. These runs were a matter of minutes, no 40 minuters or anything, but I wonder if, accumulatively, they would achieve something?

2. opinions on fitness are like arseh*oles - evryones got one, and you can pick and chose the research you want to believe and work from.
    Short, fast work such as sprints or quick explosions of power put the heart and muscles under stress and work the "fast twitch" muscles, and use the phosphocreatine cycle to produce power. This is a good way of producing a high level of fitness for short periods, but puts a lot of pressure on joints and clearly you will tire quickly.
    There has been a fair amount of research recently that champions shorter, faster runs in preference to longer distance in order to burn fat and build powerful muscle, and of course running somewhere will always require more energy than walking the same distance. Keeping the heart rate raised will inevitably make the heart work harder, but there is a limit to how much energy the body has to use - dependant on how much food you have available, what your previous fitness history is and how efficient your own body is - we're all diffferent.

3. further to that, FITO appl;ies to fitness
    F - frequency - how often you train
    I - the intensity level at which you train
    T - time - how long you train on each occasion
    O - overload - working until you are exhausted or you can no longer physically continue

4. I dont think there is much more to add, creepy hit the nail on the head. Is there a particular reason you ask this question? are you currently aspiring to a level of fitness or is your question borne out of pure curiosity?

5. I dont think there is much more to add, creepy hit the nail on the head. Is there a particular reason you ask this question? are you currently aspiring to a level of fitness or is your question borne out of pure curiosity?

6. Overload 4 weeks. Deload week 5 (meaning do sweet fa) A cycle some powerlifters do

7. Obviously you have never done a Tabata then?

8. @ Mag_To_Grid: I don't know what a Tabata is, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if I've done one. 8O

@EF: I'm one of those guys who has always found fitness hard. I'm reasonably fit, but I've always aspired to more. So I guess a mixture of the two is the answer.

Thanks for the replies.

9. Just had a look at what a Tabata is, and can conclusively state I've never attempted one.

Either that, or you mean you've run around Dar Es Salaam? :p

10. I think instead of doing sweet FA like powerlifters, that 1 week of deload should be of the same intensity, but a much lower volume. So say you did 30 400m sprints over 5 sessions in a week, during deload, you would do 5-6 over 3 sessions, but at the same pace.

11. There are two types of adaption that occur to the heart.

One basically increases the volume/second (ie the power) and thickens the walls of the heart (think a denser muscle) and the other increases the overal volume that the heart can pump out (like a balloon getting larger over time).

They are two different mechanisms, but both can be incorporated into a single session, just not as effectively developed as one or the other. That is why HIIT is so successful.

Tabata works via increasing the volume in a short space of time and in doing so it forces the heart to increase it's stroke volume (you're sprinting, high power, less then full recovery, high power etc, so the volume is much much greater then doing the same 4 minutes at a lesser pace).

12. Hi guys,
    As Health acquires topmost priority in today's fast paced lifestyles, the right Fitness Equipment is always highly on demand. In India alone, the sale of Exercise Equipment and Gym Equipment has reached gigantic proportions. However, it is always advisable to buy your Fitness Equipment from well-known brands. Thanks
    NYK

selling gold

13. A pair of trainers

Done