Overheating while running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WhiteHorse, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I appear to be overheating while running, its happened twice now this week and I really do hit a block. Thing is it comes on really quick, I get unstable and dizzy and really hot whilst sweating all over the place. First time happened after only 2 miles and took about a minute to kick in, second time I only got just past the mile! This is not normal for me and I don't appear to be dehydrated as I'm going to the loo all the time and its a clear colour.

Any ideas?

2. Sure is hot!

Kind of glad I have an injury in this weather.

When you say you drink plenty of water, is that during the run?

In this weather it would be a good idea to be taking on fluids during your run, also I find taking some sort of energy source benifitial.

Oh and I hope you are wearing shorts!?

3. Maybe you need to get acclimatised to the hot weather?

see http://www.mindef.gov.sg/army/gsi/_education/heat/heatprevent.pdf

4. To be fair, I'm not getting far enough to drink water I only got 7 minutes into the run today!

I'm wearing shorts and loose fitting t shirt. I'm not sure if I should see the quack. I was running in the evening and I was going fine, I didnt feel hot until I got like a hot rush, bloody scary, I'm 40 so wonder if I'm getting too old for this..lol

5. Get a checkup with the doctor to be safe.

6. This will sound obvious but if you do suffer from the heat, run at night / cooler hours. There is no point suffering heat injury.

7. Getting a checkup is a good idea. Might be something as simple as starting off too hard and over doing it? I dunno, I've never encountered a problem like this, and most people simply just puke or get out of breath.

8. Hot weather takes a bit off getting used to especially, if like me, you have been designed for cold climates ie not very good at losing heat. This should improve as the body aclimatises, but in the meantime these may help:
    - slow down a bit, so that you are not generating as much heat
    - don't run in the middle of the day. Do it in the morning, or in the evening
    - keep out the direct sun, run in the shade where possible
    - obviously keep your fluids and salt levels up.

PB

9. Got caught out yesterday in high temperature and humidity. Drink water before you go and during the run, and also limit the pace and distance.
    I've purchased a cheap hydration pack from asda for about £12 which does the job. In my case it seems that a few degrees over a certain temperature or increase in humidity can be the difference of having a good run (like most people I run better in cooler weather) or looking like an unfit knacker. Unfortunately I have to run during my lunchbreak so I'm unable to avoid the hot weather so you have to apply a degree of common sense if it is too hot. Eventually you will acclimatise.

10. Yea, get a check up, there's no excuse not to. Re. dehydration. Taking fluid just before or during a run will not stop you from becoming dehydrated. You must take small amounts of fluid (not always sugary) throughout the day. Dehydration by as little as 2-3% is enough to have dire effects on performance. (So I've read).

11. Have you thought about checking out your blood sugar? I know I have some probs with having too little sugar especially when I haven't eaten, or having none after I've trained. The last time that happened, I felt very hot, not in control and a sensation on the right side of my body travelling up from my stomach area and then passed out. I carry Lucozade/Dextrose tablets with me now, or have a good dose of a glucose drink afterwards. Doc's are still checking this out but it sounds like Hypoglycaemia but since sticking to a more regular diet and the glucose, the symptoms are much less if any at all with the view that they'll may disappear on its own. Like the others said, go get a check-up.

12. It could be your blood pressure. Get it checked and rule all these other suggestions out to. Sounds dangerous to be running and feeling dizzy. Any sort of accident could happen.

13. That's right stabandswat, rule out good advice and without giving an explanation. There's always a 'I'm right - the world's wrong' type around every corner isn't there? :x Where we're you 6 weeks ago when the chap was asking for advice. He could be dead now thanks to not receiving your professional advice! :D

14. I had a similar problem whilst out in the hot & sandy place, even though drinking water (with salt) I was still suffering from the heat.
    After various tests it was found I was suffering from low potassium in my blood and advised to eat a banana a day, did'nt have any problems after that.

15. D&G. Firstly my apologies for my illiterate spelling and sentence construction, which deemed the post to be misconstued. I actually meant he should go to the Dr's and have all the above suggestions ruled out including my own suggestion. I don't profess to be a medical person of any description and I believe a girl guide could probably administer first aid in a more approriate manner than I. However, I had a slight issue with low blood pressure which made me dizzy and light headed whilst running and I was merely passing on a possibility that this could be a cause. I apologise if I came across as all seeing and all knowing.