Overheard down the pub - The tales people tell...

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by EX_STAB, Jan 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Down the pub last night (as you do) and while I'm waiting to get served, kept catching snippets of a story that a bloke in his late 50s (at least) was telling to some other bloke.

Paras are the hardest in the army, as many die parachuting as get shot. blah blah bayonets blah blah...
    ... he asked the pilot where they were, "Just South of Birmingham" so he jumps out.... blah blah.... when he landed there were two MPs waiting for him

:frustrated:

He told it as though he believed it - perhaps he did.... :roll:

Have you overheard any other tales this implausible?

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Read this from the Obits forum

[/quote]Lt Stan Jeavons, Parachute Regiment

It was days before the Allies began the D-Day invasion of Normandy but Para Stan Jeavons had something else on his mind.

His young wife, Nancy, had just given birth to their first son and he feared he would be killed in action without ever cradling him in his arms.

So when a request for leave was turned down, the 26-year-old lieutenant decided on a drastic course of action.

While sat on a plane sending him to prepare for his D-Day mission, he risked a court martial by jumping from the aircraft over Birmingham to see his newborn baby.

The remarkable tale has remained a family secret for the past six decades and only emerged yesterday after Mr Jeavons - the first officer to parachute into occupied France during Operation Overlord - died at the age of 88.

His son Roger, now 62, said: "I always thought it was a most wonderful thing to do.

"If he had been killed in France at least I would have known that he had held me, kissed me and told me he loved me.

"This is one of the greatest treasures of my life."

Lt Jeavons was training in Scotland with the 13th Battalion of the Parachute Regiment in 1944 when he learned he had become a father.

He was due to take part in a dangerous mission acting as a diversion to the main Allied push when they landed in France and was devastated when denied a visit home.

Days later, as a Dakota carried his unit to the south coast, he casually checked whether they were near the West Midlands before opening the hatch and leaping out.

Hours later, when he arrived home in Coseley, near Dudley, two military policemen were waiting for him.

Family friend Fred Blades, 75, said: "Stan told the MPs they could do it the hard way - and he tapped on his Sten gun - or they could let him inside the house to hold his baby and then he'd go quietly.

"He got five minutes but that was all he needed.

"He was very much his own man. He didn't always go by the book."

With the clock ticking towards D-Day, Lt Jeavons avoided a court martial and was returned to his unit.

Shortly after midnight on June 6, he jumped over France with two Para brigades.

Speaking for the first time about the mission in 2005, he said: "It was terribly exciting to realise, deep down, that we were on our bloody own.

"We were so isolated I seriously thought the invasion had been cancelled."

The Paras immediately came under heavy fire and fought to the brink of exhaustion as Germans constantly targeted their position.

A few weeks into the campaign, Lt Jeavons's concerns were justified when he was nearly killed by a German shell.

"Suddenly - slap - one landed straight in the trench," he recalled.

"They managed to dig out my head but the shelling was so bad they had to leave me."

He slipped in to a coma after losing blood from leg wounds and awoke days later in a military hospital in Britain before he was invalided out of the service.

After the war he raised his family and worked at an engineering firm for 30 years.

His insubordination caught up with him when he was was snubbed for a Distinguished Service Medals awarded to other Paras on the nighttime jump.

But he kept a cherished letter from his commanding officer which read: 'This most brilliant officer was the first officer to land by parachute in France.'

Mr Jeavons was widowed ten years ago and leaves his son and two daughters, Valerie and Wendy.

3. Well don't I look a cnut!

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes.

P.S. Lt Stan Jeavons - now there was a geezer with balls of steel!

5. He is more than likely arrser too as there was a thread about this on here the other day!

6. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Ooooppppssss

7. Read this story the other week. For whatever reason it's only just been allowed into the public domain.

Great tale about someone thats probably a great man. The type of Officer you'd have no problem following.

8. I wouldn't follow him.

I fecking hate teh Midlands.