Overhand pull ups/ chin ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by oldcolt, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can currently crack out four of these in a row with good form or, 12 in 5 sets with a 60 second pause between sets but; having just seen two SF guys at the gym competing to out-do each other on this exercise and making me feel thoroughly inferior in the process (both cracked out 10 fast-good ones on the first set and had both done around 40 by the time they had finished a few minutes later), I am looking for some tips on how to do more (my goal is ten in two minutes wearing boot and denims by January 2010).

Any tips or do I stick with my 5 set reps, 3 times per week and reduce the rest period between sets by 5 seconds per week which is my current cuning plan?

2. It's like press-ups, the best way to improve is to keep doing them to build the relevant muscle groups. Standing around in a train station? Find a suitable bar and knock out a few. Walking the dog? Find a tree. Adjust your gym routine to really work your upper body.

Or try climbing a rope. Four decent pull-ups should get you a couple of metres off the ground, and if your choice is fall off or continue climbing, you might find you suddenly get better at them.

3. Fuck me senseless. Are you on magic mushrooms?

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

What did you think he was talking about :D

Oldcolt - any indoor climbing walls near you? Much more fun and useful than hanging around in a gym. Also better prep for ropework as it will strengthen your fingers too.

5. Climbing walls: None that I am aware of but that sounds like a plan. I've got some grip springs to strengthen my hands/ fingers but ropework is a worry as our nearest PTI and ropes on which to train are a 3 hour return journey drive away!!! :x

6. Get an oppo to help you with negatives.

Do as many as you can to failure, then get your mate to grab your waist and lift you up so that your chin is back over the bar then slowly as you can lower yourself back down. Do that for say, another 3-4 reps at the end of every set. Make that your set and repeat 5 times...

If you don't have ropes, throw a towel over a beam and grab either end and pull yourself up to the beam. Works on your grip.

7. Ok. I'm bound to get incoming for this one, but...

Why not just get outside and do some rock climbing, or get out of the gym and get down to an indoor climbing wall? It does the same thing, but better, and is good for the rest of your muscle groups, and - actually - is fun.

I can't understand why anyone would use a bar or beam instead.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Could have sworn someone suggested that a couple of posts ago... :wink:

Problem with outside is weather, daylight and a buddy....

9. ...and me being a billy no mates........ :cry:

10. Oh, and beams are more common than cliff-faces. I'm pretty sorted now that I live on the doorstep of Dartmoor, however, East Anglia isn't renowned for it's rock features.

That said.. Climbing walls are fookin hoofing if you can get to one.

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My Mrs (who is the keen climber) wanted me to put holds on the outside wall of the house........I did not think the outer shell would take it, or I would have gone for it.

12. WOW!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! 8) But my Missus would go nuts! :lol: :cry:

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

This is the only business case you will ever have that is guaranteed to drive her up the wall :lol:

Sorry, I'll get my coat and be off now........

14. How can climbing be better for chinning then actually performing chins?

15. do reverse chin downs, stand on a chair holding the beam at the closed position then lower yourself gently doing the same sets as you mentioned. Your recovery should improve when you do the chin ups as your muscle group will be ready as you lower,

Practice, Practice