Overhand pull up advice

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by martin7606, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any advice on other forms of phys that will assist in quickly building up the ammount of reps i am able to acheive in overhand pull ups would be greatly apreciated. I have always found them significantly more difficult than underarm pull ups. Cheers for any info.
  2. What worked for me was starting on assisted pull-ups, then reducing the weight periodically so that I was doing them unassisted after maybe 3-4 weeks.
    When you do reps, max out on the first set and then do half that number, then half that number again, rounding up odd numbers. So if you can do a set of nine, follow with a set of five, then a set of three. By your fourth set you'll be f**ked, so do a set of underarm pull-ups (maxed) to finish.
    Bottom line, do lots of them and you will get better. But not every day, your muscles have to have time to recover or you won't improve. Good luck.
  3. Also, try negative pull ups.

Begin the move as normal, but jump to the top position and concentrate on lowering yourself down slowly.

Knock out a coupla sets of those after your regular pull up attempts, and finish with some sets of chins as already advised.

Let us know how you get on.
  4. It is harder because it uses different and less used muscles in most people. The best advice is just to do just more pull ups. Concentrate on just doing as many as you can proper form from your army fully extended.

I normally do 3 sets until failure each time as part of the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

In the program you alternate between pull ups and chin ups each time you do the routine.
  5. The big problem is the weak muscles in the forearm - underarm takes them out of the equation. But the danger of only doing overarm in the attempt to get better is that you don't work your back and biceps fully - you end up having your forarms fail first.

I used to work to absolute failure on underarm, then do other back work, then biceps, and finish off with reverse curls and forearm work with the arm on the bench and just the wrist, sometimes knuckles up, sometimes down, to failure. Forearm work is absolute agony, up there with calf raises. The muscle fibres are dense and talk a lot of work to fail, but the pain kicks in first. Mind you, I don't think I've ever done more than about 18 overarm, and I know people my weight who look fat and weak who can do 30.

You might want to have someone watch you pull up overarm from the side - are you under your hands all the time with the gap between your forarm and bicep closing immediately and fast, or do you pull the bar to your nipples and come slightly towards parallel to the floor with your chin just above the bar and your arm still at a fairly open angle - say 75 degrees? The second way puts more on your back and less on your forarms and biceps. Some people can chin the bar and for a large part of the movement they (from the side) are virtually bent over rowing.