Overclocking to the extreme

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by jaybee2786, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AMD Phenom II Overclocked to 6.5GHz With Liquid Helium -220C.
    Team Finland and Pete Hardman and Sami Makinen from AMD, use a combination of liquid nitrogen and liquid helium to reach CPU tempertures of -232 degrees Celsius in order to attain CPU clock speeds of 6.5GHz and smashing the world record for 3DMarks with 45,474 3DMarks in a test!

2. Bowing down as we speak!! Where do I get me one of those?
  3. Its just a shame you die of Hyperthermia while using it lol
  4. Wonderful. Now where did I leave that liquid helium......

In the real world No.2 son is currently experimenting with overclocking his new self built (but non self funded :x )gaming PC. Got one of these sitting atop the CPU now and with a 20%-ish overclock the temperature never rises above 32C, so I do wonder how bonkers you have to get to justify a water cooling rig.
  5. Blogg what cpu is jnr blogg running?
  6. Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Pro Q6600 2.40 GHz.

Currently overclocked to around 2.9 GHz but he wants to work his way up to 3.1Ghz. 3.3 Ghz is supposedly available but a lot depends on the memory and motherboard and it works well enough now and is stable.

The GPU helps a lot: 1 GB Radeon 4870, which is a beast. Runs Crysis on full resolution at 28fps
  7. Get him to benchmark it with 3DMark06 :D
  8. 13963 but that was a few days ago with the processor clock running at around 2550.
  9. Blogg i haven't tweaked my pc in a while here's last years benchmark, its nothing special just a bit of fun.

Attached Files:

10. Got my Q6600 running @ 3.6 gig for some runs but mostly sits at the 3.2 area using the same zalman cooler. Mem speed is holding me back at the moment
  11. Hmm, overclocking...

Problem with doing it, is that your gear wears out far faster.

Overclocking the processor about.. 200-300Mhz, fair enough, but doing it to nearly a Ghz, or more, is bloody stupid. Leaves you with a damn expensive paperweight, otherwise.

Still - some slight overclocking is good, but to the extent the original one was done to.. Sweet mother of mammaries.
  12. It all depends on the stepping code of the processor. The B0 stepping are usully underclocked from being a much higher CPU speed due to the market forces. XTREMESYSTEMS.

have a look around some of the forums here.