Over-training or just a bit old and weak?

Fellow gym queens and work avoiders...

in the last couple of weeks, phys has gone from a thing of enjoyment to something I am grinding out, and at times, actively avoiding.

Background - I suffered a significant MSKI about 18 months ago, but have been through two sets of rehab (I got a bit over excited after the first bout), and am now MFD and in-date fitness test (1.5mile run in 9:57 at last test). Progression has been gradual, and under eyes of Physio and PTI - we're not in a scenario of massive increase over two or three weeks after relative inactivity.

My currently weekly workout is as follows:

M - Yasso 800s: 8 x 800m intervals (in 3:15 - 3:25) with a 2:30 rest. With 4 mins pre-hab before, 15 mins warm up, 15 mins warm down (light job).
T - Rehab - plyo work, bounds, single leg presses (5 x 5 @90% BW), plus 1 hour pilates, plus 30 mins of upper body work (Bench Press, multiple types of chins, curls for the girls).
W - 10km run in/around 52 mins cross country
T - Rehab - plyo work, bounds, deadlift (5 x 4 @150% BW), plus 30 mins of upper body work (over head press, BW rows with TRX), and 15 mins core (pilates based, clams, abdo-prep etc)
F - rest
S - long run - 8-10 miles trail/fell running
S - rest.

it's a relatively high volume, but as I said, I've built up to this over the last 12 months. As a guide, this time last year, I couldn't single leg press 30kg, nor could I run 800m. So far, so boring.

However, the last couple of weeks has turned from fun and enjoyable to me having to grind it out. Runs aren't about finding 'flow' and enjoying it, it's about cursing my quads and proper mental mantras to stop me just wrapping. However, times/pace/resting heart rate/1RM are showing either small increments or stabilised - I'm not going 'backwards' in any objective measurement.

So - is this a normal phase, or something else? Do I need to grind through it and sunny uplands will (re)arrive where I enjoy doing all this? I'm going to mention it to the physio later this week, but would welcome any other opinions/feedback. Underpinning this is that I'm now in my mid-30s, and aware that life doesn't get any easier.

ps - before anyone asks, my phys goals are to be able to do what ever I want, whenever I want, and in particular be around for my kids (and putative grandkids) in 50+ years time (family history of heart disease etc). I also have my eye on a coastal trail series ultra - either the exmoor or jurassic coast one, or the classic quarter, all in 2019.

SoftPawn

Old-Salt
As someone 10 years on from you, this might or might not help:

You're right, it's not going to get easier; be prepared that measurements will gradually get worse. Sometimes routine workouts will just be grim, so I look for things that have different incentives. (This last winter I've been commuting by car to a desk job and with the icy conditions outside I've slacked off and now I'm going through the sh*tty stages of not-quite regaining what I could do last year).

So rather than clocking the clock, I'm doing things that are not unpleasant: rather than running I might go for a fast walk with a weighted rucksack along routes I haven't tried; I sometimes take the train to nearly work and cycle from there; in a quiet office I might do press ups while waiting for the kettle to boil and I haven't anything else to do, etc. There's a pub 2 miles from home, and another at 4, which are good for an evening fast walk with incentive to a pint at 'half way' before coming back. Vary the exercise; routine is your enemy because the novelty disappears and you're left with the grind.

Usually around early summer I've reached the stage that I can enjoy a 5-10 mile run in the sunshine. I'm not aiming for ultras, just trying to avoid becoming potato shaped which is tricky given the calories in alcohol (dammit, WHY??!!) and, to some extent, not to look like a complete fat old fart in front of the younger soldiers. Even though I do.

Any injuries picked up as a callow yoof will be amplified by age. Around 40 you start heading downhill at an increasing rate.

Suck it up and burn through until it becomes too much of a pain in the arse then gradually begin decreasing the load until you turn into one of those rheumy old codgers you see bimbling about on the seafront with a stick and a fedora.

I just try to listen to what my body is telling me (though it might take a bit of experience to know what it's saying) and don't be to OCD about your training, but be a bit OCD about stretching and rollering.

I often follow a training plan very loosely, because I like a bit of structure, but it would be a rare week I follow one to the letter.

And rest is just as important as your training; training creates the potential for fitness adaptation, but the actual adaptation takes place when you rest. If you don't rest enough, the adaptation may not happen.

I also think there's nowt wrong with taking 3 to 5 days off, if I'm feeling like I'm on the road to burn out.

Have a read of Primal Endurance by Mark Sissons; highly recommended. He gives a bit of 'flannel', but his core training principles are highly effective and they also greatly reduce the risk of injury or burnout.

However, times/pace/resting heart rate/1RM are showing either small increments or stabilised - I'm not going 'backwards' in any objective measurement.
Just for interest, Heart Rate Variability (HRV) seems to be the new buzz word for keeping an eye on recovery, though I've not looked into it myself.

I also don't agree with 1 rep max exercises. I think that's just asking for trouble. I do lift heavy and keep my overall volume down, and I do go to failure, but that to me means I go till I can't perform the exercise WITH GOOD FORM. No shaking or assisted reps. I think that's also asking for trouble.

I've just started doing full body workouts rather than splits (keeping my overall weekly volume the same as when I did splits). I think there's evidence that splits are good for bodybuilders who're on the 'gear', but full body workouts are more effective for those of us who don't use performance enhancing drugs.

And funnily enough, during the past two weeks of doing this, I have made some gains (I was plateauing), but I'm unsure if it's the full body workout or just the change of routine that's done it?

All good points / suggestions , from above , especially '' listen to your body ''....

Rest - is very important also .

Don't be impatient - it takes time to reach your goals - Men start to go downhill from 24 ( alledgedly ) meaning that for the last 10 years or so , you have been doing the wrong things to / for , your body !

That being so - don't be in such a hurry to climb more Mountains - I'd maintain a reduced amount of exercising , until your body lets you know - hey,lets do this or that , and surprisingly ,it should work.

Consider Swimming / Walking - mixed in with a reduced work load / work out ?

Try some Mental tests also - not only PMA - plenty of test books / videos around , to work on whilst doing the mundane ( to you at the moment ) it's a small change but may help you get over your ''boredom'' ??

Just reading that had me blowing out my arrse.

Have you thought about working on your social life and being less obsessed with phys?

Trust me getting older sucks and your phys goes to shit, you need to tailor your activities to suit not chase your callow youth

You do a lot of running in my opinion and if you've been doing the same training to get to that point then maybe you've got bored with it or overtrained slightly.

Try something completely different. Focus on fight rather than flight?

You do a lot of running in my opinion and if you've been doing the same training to get to that point then maybe you've got bored with it or overtrained slightly.

Try something completely different. Focus on fight rather than flight?
it's well under the 40+ miles/week I was doing a couple of years ago!

Just reading that had me blowing out my arrse.

Have you thought about working on your social life and being less obsessed with phys?

Trust me getting older sucks and your phys goes to shit, you need to tailor your activities to suit not chase your callow youth
I work away from home, and have no desire to become the fat old alkie that many of my peers are turning into!

Fellow gym queens and work avoiders...

in the last couple of weeks, phys has gone from a thing of enjoyment to something I am grinding out, and at times, actively avoiding.

Background - I suffered a significant MSKI about 18 months ago, but have been through two sets of rehab (I got a bit over excited after the first bout), and am now MFD and in-date fitness test (1.5mile run in 9:57 at last test). Progression has been gradual, and under eyes of Physio and PTI - we're not in a scenario of massive increase over two or three weeks after relative inactivity.

My currently weekly workout is as follows:

M - Yasso 800s: 8 x 800m intervals (in 3:15 - 3:25) with a 2:30 rest. With 4 mins pre-hab before, 15 mins warm up, 15 mins warm down (light job).
T - Rehab - plyo work, bounds, single leg presses (5 x 5 @90% BW), plus 1 hour pilates, plus 30 mins of upper body work (Bench Press, multiple types of chins, curls for the girls).
W - 10km run in/around 52 mins cross country
T - Rehab - plyo work, bounds, deadlift (5 x 4 @150% BW), plus 30 mins of upper body work (over head press, BW rows with TRX), and 15 mins core (pilates based, clams, abdo-prep etc)
F - rest
S - long run - 8-10 miles trail/fell running
S - rest.

it's a relatively high volume, but as I said, I've built up to this over the last 12 months. As a guide, this time last year, I couldn't single leg press 30kg, nor could I run 800m. So far, so boring.

However, the last couple of weeks has turned from fun and enjoyable to me having to grind it out. Runs aren't about finding 'flow' and enjoying it, it's about cursing my quads and proper mental mantras to stop me just wrapping. However, times/pace/resting heart rate/1RM are showing either small increments or stabilised - I'm not going 'backwards' in any objective measurement.

So - is this a normal phase, or something else? Do I need to grind through it and sunny uplands will (re)arrive where I enjoy doing all this? I'm going to mention it to the physio later this week, but would welcome any other opinions/feedback. Underpinning this is that I'm now in my mid-30s, and aware that life doesn't get any easier.

ps - before anyone asks, my phys goals are to be able to do what ever I want, whenever I want, and in particular be around for my kids (and putative grandkids) in 50+ years time (family history of heart disease etc). I also have my eye on a coastal trail series ultra - either the exmoor or jurassic coast one, or the classic quarter, all in 2019.
Pah, that's just me warm up.....

I work away from home, and have no desire to become the fat old alkie that many of my peers are turning into!
When you long term injure yourself you’ll soon arrive at fat old Alkie:mrgreen:

Work smarter not harder. More rest days, come at your training from a different direction, cross train but mainly listen to your body

Do you cycle much?

It's non impact and believe me that Lycra looks better and better as you head further into middle age
I've ben resisting the MAMIL look, mainly because I mock them heartily as they pass me on m'runs!

With a family history of heart disease you could run to the moon and back every Tuesday and still have an “event” as I found to my cost (I ran on Mondays though).

You’re still very young but consider monitoring your cholesterol.

Latest Threads