Over to you....keyboard help

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by devexwarrior, Jan 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow Arrsers

The teenage daughter has managed to develop a problem with her laptop.

typing a g result in g6, h give h5 and using the backspace key turns the previous character into #. Several other keys have taken up a life of their own.

I've tried reloading such drivers as I can find (it is a real task getting to the pure manufacturer's drivers as there are lots of companies that try to screw dosh out of you, but I digress). I also tried a system restore without result.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks, DW
  2. Take off battery, open keyboard, unplug it,take off and unplug keyboard, restart computer without keyboard, turn off computer, replug keyboard.
    Turn on everything is now ok, it’s magic.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. msr

msr LE

How old is the laptop and which antivirus is installed?

Has anything been spilt on the keyboard recently?
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I know you've mentioned doing a system restore but restart while holding down the F8 key sometimes does the trick.
  5. Do what I said above. It will fix it. No duff.
  6. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Go to windows control panel and check that the correct keyboard layout is selected. Worth a try?
  7. Thanks, not sure how to remove the keyboard as it looks pretty 'built in' (it's an HP 3 yesars old) and she swears nothing has been spilt on it (parental suspicion kicks in here.....). I will try the various solutions offered and see how we get on.
  8. Already tried this one, but thanks anyway
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There is usually a strip that runs across the top of the keyboard, between the keyboard and the bottom of the screen. That will pop out with the use of a flats screwdriver. Look on youtube for a video if you must.

It's a piece of piss.
  10. Try mine......
  11. msr

msr LE

Back up the data and give it a reinstall. If still broken, use DBAN to erase the HDD and buy a new one ( with her contributing 50% to help prevent future 'spillages').

If you have time, google 'replace keyboard <make> <model>' and there should be a youtube video showing you how. Get replacement keyboard from ebay.
  12. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Could be a problem with keyboard adapter on the motherboard - try plugging in an external usb keyboard and see if the same thing happens. :)
  13. Pressing F7 not having an effect, sorry. Trying restart with F8 held down
  14. OR......take the keyboard out. Boot the laptop without it in, then put it.....oh **** it. If you can't be arrsed to listen and fix it, buy a new one.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. This may or may not work but it is worth a try.

Try holding the "Function" key down then try typing. If the result is clean text then the resolution is simple.

Your problem is somebody has activated the digital lock. To resolve your problem, simply press the Fn+Num Lock depending of the model, press the button or Fn + Shift +Num Lock.

Fn key is located between the Ctrl key and the Windows key on my laptop

Hope This Helps