Over issued pay reclaimed all in one go

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by lochie99, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if there is a maximum amount that can be deducted from your wages at anyone time, I have heard it 2 days pay. Just managed to look at my pay statement on armynet and I have had nearly 300 quid taken for a 'NT overissue' in one go. Just what you want in Febuary when its a short month anyway.

If its not mine then I don't mind giving it back too much but not at the expense of leaving me short for something I have got very little control over. I also understand the 'Soldier' answer from the pay people that if you get payed to much in a lump sum don't spend it as we will have it back.

This is the second time this has happened, last time it was for over £1200 in a lump sum, if i had been charged or billed for something I may understand but that was for an admin error over about 6 months i didn't even know about, nor was I warned off about it.

Rant over, and breath.

2. Dont know if there is a maximum amount, but after 6 months on the wrong level of the now defunct lodging allowance back in the early nineties the helpful people at Glascow took it all back in one go (without warning of course) and I had a pay statement of minus £140! How I laughed on the way to see the pay office. Put together a "good faith" case and got it all back eventually but not after the to-ing and fro-ing of ad-hoc payments for about 3 months or so.

Best of luck with it...

3. In the same position myself this month! I was informed by my Pay Office that the maximum permissible was 4 x days gross pay in one month. Luckily, my long haired domestic COS has stashed said amount away to keep us straight. She wasn't too chuffed at the prospect of Menu A for a month!

4. (My understanding) It is 4x days pay, however, there is a set process for which they have to follow to reclaim that money. You should have noticed on your last pay staement a NT Overissue in the top right part and queried the pay clerk at your unit. However, in the first instance they should have contacted you to inform you that they would be taking the money off you and got you to sign some paperwork to ensure that you would be aware. Fecking clerks are useless!!! :pissedoff:

5. You raise two issues here. If you know you are being/have been overpaid (especially if informed by the pay staff) it is quite legitimate to claim it back in one go. If you are inadvertently overpaid and don't raise the issue then it is the job of the RAO to alleviate any financial hardship the recovery will cause. Bear in mind if you raise a query on any payment and are told it is correct, not by the unit clerk but Glasgow, (get this in writing) and the payment is subsequently reclaimed you have a good case for claiming under the rules of Estoppel not to pay the money back.

Under the RN/RM system any man that is to receive a reduced payment (can't recall exact figure but 20% sounds about right) should be inform of this around the 17th of the month.

Not a dig at all but in my experience people that are overpaid never get their pay statement/didn't realise but those that are underpaid can get from their room to the pay office in 3 nanoseconds!!

IMD

6. Cheers for the replies,
    I think this could be karma as i do recall taking the pi$$ out of my mate on wednesday as he got as annoyed and frustated as I am now when he was under paid by a very similar amount. I have just checked my last pay statement for January and there was no over issue amount at the top in the outstanding balance bit. Thank Fck PAYD hasnt come in yet where I am or it would be Menu A all month.

7. 4 days gross pay is the default amount that can be taken, if no repayment plan has been agreed. Doesnt sound alot in itself but if, for example, you earn 60 quid a day 4 days gross of £240 off a take home of around £1200 could have quite an impact. Re-claiming of any money by the system shouldn't leave you destitute for the month, thats the idea of the payment plans, or so i thought. A good point is highlighted here - now we are in the PAYD era for some, how does skinting a soldier for the month sit with our duty of care to that individual. The poor bugger still has to eat!

The pay office have advised me that a payment plan, and paperwork is supposed to be signed by the individual prior to the money being taken. The bloke who told me this, a civil servant btw so i'm not AGC bashing, has handled 2 NT Overissues on my pay account and hasnt once called me in to sign anything.

8. the problem is with the NTOverissue thing is that under employment law, employers don't need to inform you of when they are taking money out of your paycheck when you have been overpaid by mistake.

the admin office does get overissue breakdowns sent through for everyone that gets an overissue but they usually get pay filed or binned! (in my exoerience)

9. Have your pay office checked your pay statements? If for some reason there is an overissue, what normally happens is that on one month's pay statement it will show the reason for NT Overissue i.e LOA, but will also show a credit for the same amount on the same pay statement. The deductions shouldn't come out of your pay until the next but one month i.e Overissue shows on Jan pay statement, first deduction should then be in Mar, thus giving you time to sort your life out. The pay office should also receive a printout showing how much is going to be taken out each month and how many payments that will be. If your pay office was doing it's job correctly, they should have seen this anomally and got on to Glasgow pronto to find the answer. In the UNICOM era electronic pay statements were received at least 10 days before the end of the month, giving the pay staff a heads up as to what is going to appear on the hard copies received by yourself and the pay office. Sadly this facility is not available on JPA!!!!!

10. Have your pay office checked your pay statements? If for some reason there is an overissue, what normally happens is that on one month's pay statement it will show the reason for NT Overissue i.e LOA, but will also show a credit for the same amount on the same pay statement. The deductions shouldn't come out of your pay until the next but one month i.e Overissue shows on Jan pay statement, first deduction should then be in Mar, thus giving you time to sort your life out. The pay office should also receive a printout showing how much is going to be taken out each month and how many payments that will be. If your pay office was doing it's job correctly, they should have seen this anomally and got on to Glasgow pronto to find the answer. In the UNICOM era electronic pay statements were received at least 10 days before the end of the month, giving the pay staff a heads up as to what is going to appear on the hard copies received by yourself and the pay office. Sadly this facility is not available on JPA!!!!!

11. Simple answer - Check your pay statements. With the advent of Armynet pay statements, and internet terminals in education centres, there's really no excuse nowadays. Don't rub your hands with glee if you've been overpaid, thinking of ways to spend it - You'll no doubt be losing it again. The best action to take is to transfer these funds (if sufficient enough) to a high interest savings account, ready for that inevitable day when the money's taken off you again. At least you'll be gleaning a bit of interest from their money. Alternatively, leave the money in your bank. Try to remember - It's not yours

Whilst on the subject, does anyone know if there is a time frame after which the army cannot take back the money?

12. here's a question: is NTOverissue / max 4 days gross pay the way it is always handled? whether it's too much going in or not enough coming out?

what i mean is - does the same procedure apply whether you've been overpaid (e.g. receiving an allowance you're no longer entitled to) or if you've not had a deduction come out properly (e.g. correct rate of SFA charge not been deducted)

13. bumpety bump now the clerks are back home from working bank holiday monday *ahem* ;)

anybody know?

14. I am sure that in the new JSP 754, under the JPA system APC can claw back upto 50% of a sldrs net pay :(

15. roger that. does it work the same way whether its overpay or underdeduction?