Over 50`s , How Knackered Are You ?

I'm still scratching my chin and wondering how anyone tears one buttock muscle, never mind two. Must have been holding a hammer the wrong way;)
top of a f ucking ladder leaning across the roof of a motorhome repairing a joint that leaked trying not to stand on the roof reaching out too far , both muscles went at exactly the same time , hurt like F*** left me using a walking stick whilst I was down in Portugal .... probably the worst holiday I have had as I said wrist , arse muscles and covid all at the same time (eta , it would have been two walking sticks but I couldn't hold the second one)......................................mustn't grumble though :cool:

About 6 month ago I got a nice spangly package through the post, Mrs RM says " Oh you have a parcel" Yes it was a trial pack of Tena pants, I had not ordered! I narrowed it down to three suspects who all vehemently deny such, so I have a Joiner, a carpenter and an ex booty mate and we all drink together? I am no Hercule Poirot but I think I may know the culprit! Funny though :D
It's the kind of thing my late booty mate would have done. XD

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm just over 60.

Arthritis in one knee due to a cartlidge op 30-odd years ago. Aches occasionally but I can still keep up walking the dog!
Blood pressure under control with a little help, started in my mid-50s. It just happens to some people ... says my doc. Currently in the 120s / low 80s.
Type 2 diabetic, under control with Metformin and diet. Should improve as I'm losing weight.

Other than that I'm largely ok.Will be looking to go part time at the end of the year, 2 days per week. Don't want to completely quit as my daughter will still be at university costing me £10k per year. I expect to quit completely at the end of 2024, possibly a little sooner depending on circumstances.

I could technically work forever as I'm doing a job where there is only a very limited number of people in the UK working in the same field. That said, it's a 400 mile round trip to Otterburn next week followed by RAF Marham and I've noticed that the travelling takes more out of me than it used to.

My oppo in work is 18 months younger than me and super fit. He's just had to go onto blood pressure tablets and blood thinners after having an episode when he came back from holiday.

Have watched several friends die at young ages in the past few years. Stomach cancer (age 57), lukaemia (age 53), brain tumour (age 59), Heart attacks (56 and 66 & both fit people with no previous history), pancreatic cancer (63). As of Jan '23 I'll have worked for 40 years continuously, never been out of work in that period.

top of a f ucking ladder leaning across the roof of a motorhome repairing a joint that leaked trying not to stand on the roof reaching out too far , both muscles went at exactly the same time , hurt like F*** left me using a walking stick whilst I was down in Portugal .... probably the worst holiday I have had as I said wrist , arse muscles and covid all at the same time (eta , it would have been two walking sticks but I couldn't hold the second one)......................................mustn't grumble though :cool:
Mate, you need to take more care, models your age need careful handling!

I guess it means we're not going to be meeting up in Portugal if you've sold the motorhome!

Mate, you need to take more care, models your age need careful handling!

I guess it means we're not going to be meeting up in Portugal if you've sold the motorhome!
Sadly , my moho days are over . It was a bit of a risk , me being the only driver and having a bit of a dicky ticker myself, her having a heart attack just after we got back sort of sealed the deal, plus we were asked on line if we wanted to sell the van , and the lady made an offer too good not to accept
pissed off at the moment with itchy feet syndrome , and wishing there was a van outside we could just jump in and piss off ....at least I have sorted out the midden that was my garden ............. plus , at the moment we can't get travel insurance for her at a reasonable cost

it is what it is unfortunately ...... still three weeks in Lanzo booked for February next year, apartment and a hire car at a decent rate , something to look forward to at least

Sadly , my moho days are over . It was a bit of a risk , me being the only driver and having a bit of a dicky ticker myself, her having a heart attack just after we got back sort of sealed the deal, plus we were asked on line if we wanted to sell the van , and the lady made an offer too good not to accept
pissed off at the moment with itchy feet syndrome , and wishing there was a van outside we could just jump in and piss off ....at least I have sorted out the midden that was my garden ............. plus , at the moment we can't get travel insurance for her at a reasonable cost

it is what it is unfortunately ...... still three weeks in Lanzo booked for February next year, apartment and a hire car at a decent rate , something to look forward to at least
Sorry to read about your woes, old pal. I'll just have to pop up and blight your existence instead ;)

Truxx

LE
Work is freedom - or some such.
Apart from that, I’ve often been told it’s important to maintain curiosity: it keeps the brain ticking over. I’m a great believer in the saying: If you don’t learn something new every day, you have wasted the day.
The problems arise when the lesson is;

"I am too old for this mullarkey"

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I carried on working until nearly eighty (because I wanted to) and still do a bit on the side. However, I then found about the U3A but it seemed to be run by a load of old(er) women. Now I'm thinking about joining a camera club because all I ever do is "take snaps" and it might to be nice to actually find out how to take photographs.
The main problem I find now is that there are just not enought hours in the day to do things apart from eating and drinking.

My NHS pension kicked in at 55, giving 40/80 after 30 years service. However, I was one of the last to get this quality of pension as it all changed to a worse deal - allegedly due to "demand ". 5 years later I'm 8000 miles from home listening to a gale sweeping across a snow covered landscape - in June. This work habit...
Did you move to Soltau?

Still in (joined 1988 and still rolling) and am in the following state.

Dodgy right knee (lateral ligament shot)
T7 vertebrae shattered (long story)
hearing in the left ear going
no back teeth at all
eye sight no good at close range (reading)
frequent headaches, some very bad
two shattered ankles (can still tab but in bits afterwards)
5 broken ribs
broken jaw
broken nose
right hand shattered

All the above from in service injuries, but as said, still going (no idea how, but nice and easy job now so not to worry), looking forward to when I am really old and all this lot start playing up.

Still in (joined 1988 and still rolling) and am in the following state.

Dodgy right knee (lateral ligament shot)
T7 vertebrae shattered (long story)
hearing in the left ear going
no back teeth at all
eye sight no good at close range (reading)
frequent headaches, some very bad
two shattered ankles (can still tab but in bits afterwards)
5 broken ribs
broken jaw
broken nose
right hand shattered

All the above from in service injuries, but as said, still going (no idea how, but nice and easy job now so not to worry), looking forward to when I am really old and all this lot start playing up.
Ibuprofen and tubigrip..out the door queue on the right.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm 50 next month.
Haven't really had to see the GP for anything tbh.
Got a knackered right knee from playing rugby and I make funny noises putting my socks on , but other than that I've no complaints at all.
Eyesight is OK , just started wearing +1 magnification glasses for reading though.

Biggest whinge is the beer gut tbh..

I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Today is my 67th birthday. I'm home alone, bedded down and looking at a right lower leg that looks as though the brigade of Foot Guards has been marking time on it. Having, over the past seven years hyper tension, diabetes, a couple of arthroscopies, a radical prostatectomy swiftly followed by the fitting of an artificial urinary sphincter and circumcision (stop laughing in the back there) and providing the memsahib with the perfect reason for withdrawing conjugal rights ("Ugh. You look revolting. The sound you can hear is my libido making for a reverse slope position".) I thought things couldn't get much worse. Cue the cynical laughter.
A recent jaunt along Hadrian's Wall turned a sore knee into an inability, on a bad day, to walk more than 200metres without wincing. My Doc, known as Dr Mengele to some, told me that I was becoming bow legged on one side (But how, I'm not a rider, let alone ex Cav!) and as a result, the gap between upper and lower knee was compressed and the cartilage both trapped and escaping. The solution? An "upper tibial osteotomy". The lower leg is opened up, ligaments and muscle separated from the bone and a wedge cut out of the tibia. The tibia is then bent so the two ends meet and the whole thing bolted together with a plate before the whole shooting match is stitched back together.
Today is day five post op. Looking down, from knee to ankle is a varicolored bruise that not even LSD could provoke, punctuated by blisters of escaped bone marrow. I'm on sticks and using them makes me squeal like a stuck pig. Mrs Rickshaw has had to go and assist her frail and increasingly doolally ma and Rickshaw Minor is oblivious down in Australia where he is fighting Parkinson's. Rickshaw Mini Minor is equally oblivious as he is swotting for his pre LE commission interviews and boards as well as catering for two young children who are on the autistic spectrum.

Now, why have poured all this onto the page? Two reasons: getting old is shiite and shiite happens. Secondly, there is always somebody worse off than you so if I have generated a little schadenfreude for some and a snigger of "Rickshaw bloody deserves it" in others, then my job is done. Oh, finally, painkillers mean no booze. Happy Birthday me.

Latest Threads