Over 50`s , How Knackered Are You ?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have had a few aches and pains since I turned 50 , then a stent 13 years ago which
then a new heart valve 4 years ago, , scarey , but run of the mill operation really

but for pain I now have the grandad of them all De Quervain's tenosynovitis ..... it's like carpal tunnel RSI but it's on the tendons of my left thumb all I can say is it is described as painful, but safe pain ...SAFE PAIN???!!!!! , it is f ucking murder tried splints , elastic bandage ibuprofen gel solpadol etc nowt , even sleep on my right side with my hand flat on a pillow beside me, be nice to get a whole night sleep now and again without waking up almost crying like a little girl every night ... been like it since about October last year, no fun on holiday and a pain to drive any distance , which was really handy for the drive to the Algarve and back in the camper , add that to two torn buttock muscles , and now a torn calf muscle if I am honest , this last years been a cvnt

did I mention I'd had covid, twice! although I had the first bout 2 years ago at the start of the pandemic before it got fashionable

Acupuncture.

I'm finally, technically retiring next year at 65. Though I don't consider myself to have worked at all over the last 30 years, I enjoyed what I did so it is not really work......is it?

SWMBO could have binned it off anytime over the last couple of years but, as she says she has no hobbies as such so she would get bored. She took the opportunity to downsize the job and still keep the brain active, the present employer is getting a bargain, they know it, and will sh*t themselves when she wraps next year.

My aches and pains: The main issue bothering is my lower back with a herniated disc. I hope to get that sort of fixed next year as I am pissed off with the constant pain down my right leg and numbness on the soles of both feet - there is a sound treatment for it now. I have some knacked ligaments from falling off motorcycles, mountains and other things, also some osteo arthritis both of which I am getting sorted with PRP therapy - I had it done on both rotator cuffs and the difference is amazing. High blood pressure, always had it, take the pills.

I still have things to do so I don't want to sit still, having a 19 year old expecting me to keep up with him does wonders. As I can't parachute anymore I intend to take up paragliding when we move next year, both potential retirement locations have mountains with places to step off them into the air. If you sit still you die
Was with my mate at the weekend, his daughter’s wedding.

Low back problems for several years, had the carpenters in about eight weeks ago.

Showed me a picture of the Meccano set in his lower spine – widening the discs and so on – looks bloody impressive, and more importantly, he feels like a new man.

As I am 55, I could technically retire early but my NHS pension kicks in at 60.
So while still working have made a huge change as documented elsewhere.
That will keep me going to 58 and a half.

Then I shall drive home shopping delivery trucks across the highlands for Asda.
Won't you do as all knacked professionals do and become a Consultant, or like T Dalrymple, write about the foul objects you've encountered and the means of redeeming them?

rmn

LE
As I am 55, I could technically retire early but my NHS pension kicks in at 60.
So while still working have made a huge change as documented elsewhere.
That will keep me going to 58 and a half.

Then I shall drive home shopping delivery trucks across the highlands for Asda.
My NHS pension kicked in at 55, giving 40/80 after 30 years service. However, I was one of the last to get this quality of pension as it all changed to a worse deal - allegedly due to "demand ". 5 years later I'm 8000 miles from home listening to a gale sweeping across a snow covered landscape - in June. This work habit...

My NHS pension kicked in at 55, giving 40/80 after 30 years service. However, I was one of the last to get this quality of pension as it all changed to a worse deal - allegedly due to "demand ". 5 years later I'm 8000 miles from home listening to a gale sweeping across a snow covered landscape - in June. This work habit...
Stinks :D

Was with my mate at the weekend, his daughter’s wedding.

Low back problems for several years, had the carpenters in about eight weeks ago.

Showed me a picture of the Meccano set in his lower spine – widening the discs and so on – looks bloody impressive, and more importantly, he feels like a new man.

I am after a minimally invasive endoscopic micro discectomy.

The problem with having scaffold put in your back is that most of the time they have to cut away healthy muscle and bone to do it. This is a massively invasive process causing huge amounts of trauma, not to mention the fact they remove muscle........a mate of mine is a Doc in the UK and he always used to compare NHS authorised style of lumbar surgeries like to trying to do precision surgery on a salami. Impossible.

Simplistically the way the micro endoscopic surgery works:

1. They knock you out and strap you to a bed.
2. Using a CT X-ray scanner the make a small incision of around 18mm and push a long needle in to the area where they are going to do the surgery - just to ID and locate the point of surgery.
3. They then push a thin tube into the patient over the top of the long needle, expanding the size of the entry hole. This is followed by tubes of ever increasing size up to around 18mm diameter.
4. The Doc then works down this tube using the endoscopic instruments fitted with a 4K camera. The 4K image is displayed in the operating room on a BFO telly screen. being 4K the Doc can see in great detail what he is working on.
5. With a discectomy they simply remove the herniated, or damaged, part of the disc protruding into the nerves running behind the vertebrae. When the offending protrusion has been removed the remaining soft disc material is cauterised. The small incision means that they generally only apply maximum two stitches, or a couple of sticky butterfly stitches.
6. Two days later you are discharged. Take it easy for 4 to 6 weeks to let the cauterisation heal and then resume normal activities.

Germany, surprise, surprise, are the leading lights for this surgery but, it is generally available in most mainland european countries. The Doc I am looking at has done the procedure around 15,000 times, the procedure itself taking between half an hour and one hour for complicated ones. Cost is around €12,000 - €15,000, all in.

Seeing as I have to pay for medical in the US anyway I always approach these things with the point of view of: What would they do for the Queen of England, President of the USA, or top sporting personality. There is usually some procedure that is available which is far better than the usual quackery we get offered and it usually does not cost a great deal more, and more importantly it is life changing for the better.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

Am sure that when I qualified in the 80s that the NHS retirement age was 55, then when I started to get closer to that age and I checked, it was suddenly 60.

Mind you, I don't feel anything like retirement yet.

And the snow is melting! :)

Am sure that when I qualified in the 80s that the NHS retirement age was 55, then when I started to get closer to that age and I checked, it was suddenly 60.

And the snow is melting! :) This is the sunset tonight just to make you a wee bit homesick

Attachments

• ResizerImage6000X4000 sunset 23-6-22.jpg
    ResizerImage6000X4000 sunset 23-6-22.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

rmn

LE

And the snow is melting! :)
Snow might be melting a bit but it will take ages to clear. Interesting social media conversations about the lack of snow ploughs.

Whoops, slight drift to another thread. That's the trouble with ageing, now what was I going to say....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Snow might be melting a bit but it will take ages to clear. Interesting social media conversations about the lack of snow ploughs.

Whoops, slight drift to another thread. That's the trouble with ageing, now what was I going to say....

At least it's proper snow, as I remember it from my youth!

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt
Age don’t come itself someone said eh… need glasses now, right eye really poor, tinnitus in left lug thanks to me ole scouse mate firing his jimpy inches from me head…left shoulder always sore, left knee feels like on the way oot, brain fog(or I’m losing it!), digging a hole the other day for a large post bent down quite tight and a squirt o’ pish popped oot! Misshaped nose thanks to a run in with the polis in Aldershot When I was a silly 19 year old…ehm got a fucked immune system and waiting for an organ transplant. Other than that it’s all good…maybe the feet too actually…had my 80’s music on the other nite when fixing up old landrover and couldn’t quite get the little axl rose slidey foot dance thing to sweet child o mine. Thats it…life is good.

ResizerImage6000X4000 sunset 23-6-22.jpg

That looks like the hideous Scottish landseascape that I've been futilely attempting to reach on my boat since I first bought a boat (on retiring). [Spits, washes mouth out with rum, spits again. Sucks vaper].

Glad to see you're not on Tenna pants for men yet.
About 6 month ago I got a nice spangly package through the post, Mrs RM says " Oh you have a parcel" Yes it was a trial pack of Tena pants, I had not ordered! I narrowed it down to three suspects who all vehemently deny such, so I have a Joiner, a carpenter and an ex booty mate and we all drink together? I am no Hercule Poirot but I think I may know the culprit! Funny though :D

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
Retired last year at 59 and I have had good health all my life. The only major service injury was a lower back one which comes on about once a year mainly due to relaxing my posture. I severely re-injured it once in a car crash and then whilst doing a stint with the Navy.

Upon retiring I was able to play squash whenever I wanted until I rolled my ankle earlier in the year. Then I injured my lower back on a motorcycle trip, then my shoulder and three weeks ago I busted up my ribs in a motorcycle crash which resulted in a five night stay in hospital. Currently I have a lot of rehab going on and it is the most amount of injuries I have ever had.

Apart from that I know I am getting older and slowing down so just adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
E
Nearly eight years into retirement, and four to go until my national pension and I'm glad I did it. Males on my father's side of the family don't make it past 71, so I'm making the best of it now.

Moved house to a bungalow, to 'future proof' (mostly for the wife's sake), in 2019, "we'll take the year off from holidays to tidy, paint, sort the garden out, then next year hit the road in the motorhome again...".

Hindsight is a marvellous thing!!

I'm still scratching my chin and wondering how anyone tears one buttock muscle, never mind two. Must have been holding a hammer the wrong way;)

Last edited:
56 and have the following:

Hiatus Hernia
Hypothyroidism
Arthritis in ankles, knees and upper spine
High BP
Had kidney stones and hope to hell they don't come back
broken my right leg 3 times, left wrist twice, nose, most of my fingers, dislocated my right shoulder 4 times (Rugby is great isn't it)

Still managing my 10k steps a day and playing bowls most days as that is all I can seem to manage these days.

Latest Threads