Over 50`s , How Knackered Are You ?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuine question for the over 50s...how's the sex life after you hit 50 or 60? I am sure I will find out for myself in about 15yrs but wanted to know. When I was a bit younger and in my 20s, just the thought of people after 50 having sex just made me go eewwww!
It's down to the individual and what their motivations are. If old farts genuinely believe physical congress is still important then good luck to them, just keep it to yourselves!

I would have thought it was more natural, bearing in mind that sexual intercourse was designed to propagate the species, once those fertile years had passed, to take up other hobbies such as line dancing, buying an American motorcycle to poot back and forth to your allotment, and be a repository for endless grandbrats while your offspring go on "date nights".

It's down to the individual and what their motivations are. If old farts genuinely believe physical congress is still important then good luck to them, just keep it to yourselves!

I would have thought it was more natural, bearing in mind that sexual intercourse was designed to propagate the species, once those fertile years had passed, to take up other hobbies such as line dancing, buying an American motorcycle to poot back and forth to your allotment, and be a repository for endless grandbrats while your offspring go on "date nights".
Until 18 months ago I would have fully agreed with you.

The fact is, if you don't keep an open mind and chuck all preconceptions to the wind, you are likely to miss out on all kind of things in your life - since life always has the potential to surprise us -for good and for bad.
Sexual intercourse does indeed have the biological function that you mention but as an old fart, I'm finding that it is also a vehicle for expressing/experiencing something infinitely profound, ecstatic and mysterious. Saying sex is something merely for procreation is akin to saying all we need to eat is porridge and vitamin tablets.

As for keeping these things to ourselves - I've learnt a lot from this and other threads and I try and contribute with things I've learnt from my experience.

Last edited:

I like @StBob072. I find her posts, informative, and often amusing.

The following is said without rancour.

The view expressed, is not unusual with post menopausal women.

What it does not recognise is, that whilst parts of the female anatomy desend into hibernation, those comparable parts of the male anatomy are still effective - until the lid is nailed-down on the "old farts" ;) .

As with anything that takes two, having a partner that matches your will and ability is probably the key.

I like @StBob072. I find her posts, informative, and often amusing.

The following is said without rancour.

The view expressed, is not unusual with post menopausal women.

What it does not recognise is, that whilst parts of the female anatomy desend into hibernation, those comparable parts of the male anatomy are still effective - until the lid is nailed-down on the "old farts" ;) .
Not all of us post-menopausal women are quite so ready to retire our parts! ;-)

As with anything that takes two, having a partner that matches your will and ability is probably the key.
It may therefore be understandable - if not usually acceptable - for those with "keys" to wonder if they would fit "locks", elsewhere?! ;) .

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
OMG lalala- definitely turned into mumsnet, sex now but you just know it’ll turn into relationships, commitment soft furnishings and curtains next! Shut up you lot!

Last edited:
It may therefore be understandable - if not usually acceptable - for those with "keys" to wonder if they would fit "locks", elsewhere?! ;) .
Not acceptable at all, in my view. It shows a lack of respect for your partner. If you want to go finding locks elsewhere, then at least be fair to your partner and give him/her the chance to do likewise!

OMG lalala- definitely turned into mumsnet, sex now but you just know it’ll turn into commitment and curtains next! Shut up you lot!
Well the young, brave and stupid do mature...sometimes...so, it's only natural. ;)

Maybe we can have a MUMsARRSENET? Errr....that doesn't sound right, does it?

You mean an open relationship?
If both parties are in agreement, why not?
I personally wouldn't go for that, relationship minefield if you ask me!

I meant more along the lines of telling your partner that you wish to look elsewhere and giving them the opportunity to either end the relationship and find someone who won't be so shallow, or turn a blind eye.

Turning 60 at the start of next year. Still not hit the menopause proper. Not on any medication apart from magnesium if I get leg cramps post racing. Low blood pressure. Visit to my sports doctor this week who told me to reduce my running and avoid rocky trails as cartilage wearing thin on right knee. Gave me his blessing for more marathon training but not so many in a year.

On the down side I've got a bump on top of my right foot which he thinks is ostheo arthritis but if it doesn't hurt then just to leave it be. Also carrying a couple of kilos extra which have all settled round the middle but life is too busy for me to worry about it and at 54kg it's not a drama. Got a couple of slipped disks but keeping active avoids problems.

Busier than ever with new full on job and lots of volunteer opportunities, all sports related.

I'm making the most of life as it could all come crashing down tomorrow.

...Visit to my sports doctor this week who told me to reduce my running and avoid rocky trails as cartilage wearing thin on right knee.
Currently in orthopaedic admission unit waiting on knee athroscopy for same!
IMG-20180926-WA0002_crop_536x443.jpeg

Going under the knife in about an hour.