• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Over 50`s , How Knackered Are You ?

Last edited:
If you’re under 50 you really won’t get this thread. I have since found that on having reached the magic marker of a half century (this year) one major thing has occurred - I still can't effing believe it happened.

It’s like I was still pissing around in college, or watching TV, or staring out of the window one day in my early-20s, got up to make a cuppa, came back and suddenly I am 50. It’s not fair and it feels wrong. I was imagining I’d have changed somehow, grown into something more comprehending by the time I got to this late stage of the game. But I haven’t.

This and the way young women no longer check me out. Ouch.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
If you’re under 50 you really won’t get this thread. I have since found that on having reached the magic marker of a half century (this year) one major thing has occurred - I still can't effing believe it happened.

It’s like I was still pissing around in college, or watching TV, or staring out of the window one day in my early-20s, got up to make a cuppa, came back and suddenly I am 50. It’s not fair and it feels wrong. I was imagining I’d have changed somehow, grown into something more comprehending by the time I got to this late stage of the game. But I haven’t.

One thing I've found as I get older is I'm no longer afraid of getting old!

Ive still got way too much to achieve and look forward to.

I suppose if you take the view that youre "over the hill" when more than half your life is gone, then it could make you anxious. However i believe that life is more of a straight line that you keep going along as far as you can. Keep right on to the end of the road, as Harry Lauder said.

Last edited:

Thats how being 50 hit me , I`ve learnt a little but still not enough , I`m calmer , not as wild I used to be , what I am pleased about is younger ladies still to find me attractive .

53 and apart from a slight problem with my right knee (remnants of an injury 10 years ago), I'm fit as a fiddle. Low BP, low heart rate, not at risk of diabetes. I had an echocardiogram 6 months ago as a guinea pig for the trainee physiologists so I know my heart is tickety-boo. I develop vitamin D deficiency every winter, the supplements are the only thing close to regular medication that I take.

Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself...
What role, for clarity, did the guinea pig play in your recent procedure?

What role, for clarity, did the guinea pig play in your recent procedure?
It ran around on a wheel, powering the scanner.

53 and apart from a slight problem with my right knee (remnants of an injury 10 years ago), I'm fit as a fiddle. Low BP, low heart rate, not at risk of diabetes. I had an echocardiogram 6 months ago as a guinea pig for the trainee physiologists so I know my heart is tickety-boo. I develop vitamin D deficiency every winter, the supplements are the only thing close to regular medication that I take.

Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself...
I'm booked in for an echocardiogram on the 10th of Oct. Can't remember why.. Part of the preliminaries prior to my op I guess?
I find it difficult to understand just what they're telling me these days as it comes thick and fast and I'm getting input from two different departments within the trust - Urology/Oncology and Cardiovascular.

I posted this before, but worth repeating.
I am sitting in the waiting room waiting, as that's what you do in a waiting room, when out comes the doc and calls my name.

I look up and see this amazing vision of a woman, I mean fit as f*ck, short skirt big charlies, the complete package.
She wouldn't stick her finger up my arse though as we have a big hospital minutes down the road and all invasive procedures are done there apparently.

Upon a little research it turns out she was one of TV,s Gladiators and now has her own gig on telly and is quite famous.

Really good GP though and I was gutted when she left.
Dr Zoe aka Amazon off Gladiators?

Amazon (Zoe Williams) | Sky 1 Revival | Gladiators |

I'm booked in for an echocardiogram on the 10th of Oct. Can't remember why.. Part of the preliminaries prior to my op I guess?
I find it difficult to understand just what they're telling me these days as it comes thick and fast and I'm getting input from two different departments within the trust - Urology/Oncology and Cardiovascular.
They'll be checking your heart muscles are strong enough to get you through your op and any potential chemo.
The echocardiogram is just an ultrasound, they do have to press quite hard on your chest, particularly if you're a bit "fleshy" in that area.

Don't be afraid to stop the doctor's waffling and ask them to explain things in clear, plain terms, get them to write things out if you want, and definitely ask to be copied into all correspondence. If you haven't been allocated a Macmillan nurse yet, get in touch with them yourself, as well as helping you understand what's going on, they'll be able to provide you with practical help and advice regarding things outside of the medical side, such as finances, housing, transport, etc.

Good luck with your treatments.

Last edited:
The echocardiogram is just an ultrasound, they do have to press quite hard on your chest, particularly if you're a bit "fleshy" in that area..
It was explained to me that you should imagine trying to take a photo through a crowded room, you push and jiggle until you get a clear view!

A bit uncomfortable, but nothing too hard.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The best bit of advice I had, was when going in for a consultation with the doc prior to an op, take a mate with you, because they are not emotionally involved, they pick it all up, and can confirm with you over a coffee later. This really worked for me.

Huh! Just think how I feel. When I got my driving licence back in 1969 it said "expires 2019". How I laughed at how futuristic that would be as we'd all have jet boots or instant transportation devices by then.
Now it's due renewal in 3 months and I've still not been issued my jet boots.

Huh! Just think how I feel. When I got my driving licence back in 1969 it said "expires 2019". How I laughed at how futuristic that would be as we'd all have jet boots or instant transportation devices by then.
Now it's due renewal in 3 months and I've still not been issued my jet boots.
I was born that year, so the only thing i can compare is watching Baack to the Future 2 when it came out and looking forward to flying cars and hoverboards in 2015...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
ECG is nothing to worry about, it can be a tad uncomfortable when they decide to press hard with the scanner, if you're lucky, you might get to see the screens while they are doing it, very interesting.

You are right as usual. But that wasn't really what I meant (as usual!). I don't feel any need to wee in the night any more, but find myself wanting to wee throughout the day when I don't really need to - apparently this is common to a lot of people and it's mainly psychological.
Are you still losing weight? There's something called a 'Whoosh effect' (have a google), and from my own experience it's true.