Over 50`s , How Knackered Are You ?

Heading rapidly towards 70 and various bits need replacing or at least 3 line servicing. My lower back is a bit knackered from a parachuting accident many years ago. As long as I take the usual precautions when lifting things there's no problem. But every now and then my back gives me grief for a about a week. Long sightedness has long since taken it's toll. Skin dries out too readily especially in winter and then itches like f**k.
Last but not least the lady dermatologist* determined that I have keratosis solaris. That's a result of sunburn decades ago, it's easy to treat but also itches like f**k. Of itself keratosis is not a problem, but it could turn into skin cancer, not so good.

* When I first saw her I felt like asking her, "does your mummy know that you're here?
Sh1t I must be getting old.

Heading rapidly towards 70 and various bits need replacing or at least 3 line servicing. My lower back is a bit knackered from a parachuting accident many years ago. As long as I take the usual precautions when lifting things there's no problem. But every now and then my back gives me grief for a about a week. Long sightedness has long since taken it's toll. Skin dries out too readily especially in winter and then itches like f**k.
Last but not least the lady dermatologist* determined that I have keratosis solaris. That's a result of sunburn decades ago, it's easy to treat but also itches like f**k. Of itself keratosis is not a problem, but it could turn into skin cancer, not so good.

* When I first saw her I felt like asking her, "does your mummy know that you're here?
Sh1t I must be getting old.
A Groucho Quote:- You're heading for a breakdown, why don't you pull yourself to pieces!

I'm in the middle of a course of treatment (Trade name - Zyclara, chemical name - Imiquimod) for that (on the back of my hands). A bit worrying when the young female pharmacist looked at the prescription, then at me and said 'muy peligroso' or 'very dangerous'! It is an ointment that goes on at bedtime then you must wash off 8 hours later. Seems to be working for me. You could ask about it.

I'm in the middle of a course of treatment (Trade name - Zyclara, chemical name - Imiquimod) for that (on the back of my hands). A bit worrying when the young female pharmacist looked at the prescription, then at me and said 'muy peligroso' or 'very dangerous'! It is an ointment that goes on at bedtime then you must wash off 8 hours later. Seems to be working for me. You could ask about it.
The stuff I use was made in Spain and appears to have worked. Must book an appointment tomorrow for the dermatologist to have a gander.

I`m over 50 and started listing all the health issues I have , quite a depressing list and I`m not over weight and look after myself , fact hunts may be worse off than me or better ? On the plus side I can still get the attention of the ladies as young as 25 and can physically out work builders in their 20`s .

Here goes..

• Hearing in one ear ...ear defenders weren't allowed on the range in my day.
  • Eyes - short sighted so glasses needed
  • Lower back - painful most of the time so I often walk like a spacker.
  • Bad guts , regularly get the shits and serious stomach cramps - cant drink beer any more without suffering badly , rum or vodka these days.
  • High blood pressure unless I use meds.
  • Mouldy toe nails
  • 5-6 teeth missing
  • Knees ache like fcuk by the afternoon.
  • Bald patch
  • All the above doesn't help with depression.

Can you beat that list or is it time for the mess revolver?
Someone once remarked that if all the people in a crowded room made a pile of their troubles with a view to redistribution, each of them would pretty quickly take their own back.

Up date on post 24. fast approaching 68, stomach acid causing massive discomfort at nights, my nurse daughter says this is normal, so lads, you have this bloody inconvenience to look forward to......................
I had that problem for years, some nights the only way I could get some sleep was to sit upright in an armchair after having taken pain-killers. After about 10 years of being prescribed a variety of medications, three or four endoscopies and treated for H. pylori*, the quacks finally decided my problem was caused by gastritis. I have been on a daily maintenance dose of Lansaprazole ever since with the occasional booster dose. I still get the occasional attack even though I watch what I eat (being a T2 helps) especially avoiding bananas which seemed to be a common factor in what I had eaten prior to several severe attacks, and try not to get stressed as that also seems to be a major trigger.

* I was given the triple therapy and told by the SMO at the time, that my suffering would not re-occur. A week later I was back again having suffered another attack which needed a blue light taxi trip to hospital.

Last edited:
Blimey. I'm not yet 50 and have a part fused ankle due to arthritis, arthritis in my right hip and knee due to overloading them because of the knackered ankle and also have a major issue with chronic pelvic pain with no hint of what the cause might be in spite of ct scans, mri scans sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies

The future looks bright

Oh to be 50 again.... running marathons (albeit slowly), dabbling in tri-athlon, sport parachuting every now and then, enough money to indulge myself, vacations to places which absorbed my interest in history and culture.

Then I had a mid-life crisis... married a woman 20 years my junior (the proverbial hot, leggy, blonde), Harley-Davison m/c, fast cars, rock and roll bars, took an inordinate interest in my physical appearance, hours punishing myself in the gym in a vain attempt to look youthful, vacations to more hedonistic parts of the world... I became a sad cliche.

When I turned 60, having binned the blonde (or was it vice-versa) a couple of years before that, I returned to 'normal' became 'me' again, immersed myself in my former hobbies, became more relaxed.
Sadly, during my last week at work (law enforcement) I tussled with a couple of gang bangers which resulted in me needing a knee replacement, two fake disks in my neck and three in my lower back.
The injuries necessitated me changing my life style, pursuing less arduous physical activities, walking and swimming became my 'thing' started writing a couple of books, museums, live theater, dinner with friends.
I also realized that women more my age were much more interesting... it was a good decade.

Now, in my early 70s and having recently successfully negotiated prostate surgery, I prefer my animals to most people, enjoy rural life trying to maintain my acreage in some semblance of order, still travel a bit - more to visit old friends than indulge myself, still enjoy the beach, a bit of kayaking, walk 3 to 5 miles every day with my dogs, correspond regularly with old Army pals.
Life, apart from the early morning aches and pains, my increasing deafness - legacy of a blast bomb in late '70s NI, and my addiction to cheap cigars, is good.
Strangely women my own age all now seem to prefer younger men, women in their late 50s/early 60s rather like me... though I won't be having a late life crisis.

Life is what you make it!

Last edited:
Blimey. I'm not yet 50 and have a part fused ankle due to arthritis, arthritis in my right hip and knee due to overloading them because of the knackered ankle and also have a major issue with chronic pelvic pain with no hint of what the cause might be in spite of ct scans, mri scans sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies

The future looks bright
The futures bleak and painful, deal with it, its called old age, welcome to the club.

Two weeks on, two weeks off, then final two weeks of application? I have to go back in 6 months. Quite expensive stuff too!
Being a bit curious (nosey bastard) how come a sun dodger gets a sun related skin problem?

I`m over 50 and started listing all the health issues I have , quite a depressing list and I`m not over weight and look after myself , fact hunts may be worse off than me or better ? On the plus side I can still get the attention of the ladies as young as 25 and can physically out work builders in their 20`s .

Here goes..

• Hearing in one ear ...ear defenders weren't allowed on the range in my day.
  • Eyes - short sighted so glasses needed
  • Lower back - painful most of the time so I often walk like a spacker.
  • Bad guts , regularly get the shits and serious stomach cramps - cant drink beer any more without suffering badly , rum or vodka these days.
  • High blood pressure unless I use meds.
  • Mouldy toe nails
  • 5-6 teeth missing
  • Knees ache like fcuk by the afternoon.
  • Bald patch
  • All the above doesn't help with depression.

Can you beat that list or is it time for the mess revolver?[/QUOTE

"I still get attention from ladies as young as 25" hahahhahh give over!

You're 50
Mouldy toe nails
Balding
Walk like a spacker
Blind
6 teeth missing
And shitting ya self every 5 mins

Are you sure these ladies of 25 aren't your carers lol

Brown sugar and cider vinegar helps me with my aches and pains.

Someone mentioned pelvic pain. I complained to my doctor and the first thing he did was send me for a Vitamin D test. I am now on quite high doses of some Vit. D precursor molecule and do not have the pelvic pain.

Obviously, the doctor knows my medical history and maybe this made him think of this test but such a test may be of use for the poster who mentioned pelvic pain if no other diagnosis is apparent.

Ha - good one! This Sundodger actually arrived in San Francisco, on a boat, from patrol with sunburn! Even the Sceptics asked how that had happened!

Well, we surfaced for a while and the skipper allowed those that wanted to, to go up to the radar well in the fin. There was room for 6 or 8 folk up there and we shuffled round as someone else wanted to come up. Me, i just kept going back upthere! Love the rays I do!

Also, being from the West coast of Scotland AND a Sundodger, I have always taken holidays to sunny places and now live in Southern Spain. Did I mention I like the sun?

Going to have to think about putting on some high factor sun tan stuff this year - maybe factor 4?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bravo_Zulu ARRSE: Site Issues 4
kezza005 Health and Fitness 10
crescent Health and Fitness 14