Over 50`s , How Knackered Are You ?

Not just gout, @Gout Man? After my last attack about 6 months ago (a small spoonful of baked beans did it) I took the diet seriously, and haven't had a recurrence.

Only kidney stones. Or a 'stone' so far.

Heart problems now cured by catheter ablation and left ventricle dilation reduced by 4mm in 18 months.

Blood pressure now normal too.

Want to watch out what we attempt though!

Mate turned fifty last year. Started a keep fit regime and it worked, good diet, moderate exercise. Went from a 36 inch waist to a 32. Looks 10 years younger.

Then....decided two weeks ago to go skiing with his new lass.

As he put on FaceAche...

First time skiing in 20 years.:)

Now,

Torn crucial ligament , damaged cartilage . 3 weeks on crutches and a nice operation or two to look fwd to.

Shame he is also moving to a new job in Belgium in April as well.

Everybody gets old and not necessarily knackered. Keep busy walking and working on a sensible diet and a healthy lifestyle, you're probably fitter and healthier than some people half your age. No varicose veins so far, not overweight and no serious health problems at all. Weirdest thing is a recent drift towards practically no meat or dairy intake. Cutting caffeine and booze and keeping active got me round a 100 miles circular walk, with a fair few punishing climbs, at 56. I could do it again now. Young 'uns were sat down, lounging about and going to the pub. Definitely benefits the overloaded NHS, so the old school obviously isn't as bad the ageists like to make out.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Not just gout, @Gout Man? After my last attack about 6 months ago (a small spoonful of baked beans did it) I took the diet seriously, and haven't had a recurrence.
Baked beans? Heck I had a bloody tin full yesterday on toast topped with a couple of poached eggs.
Funnily enough there is a bit of improvement to the knee this morning. I noticed it during the night but thought I was still half asleep. Perhaps the cortisone is finally starting to work having had it done Thursday morning.

Up date on post 24. fast approaching 68, stomach acid causing massive discomfort at nights, my nurse daughter says this is normal, so lads, you have this bloody inconvenience to look forward to. Remedy, a glass of milk before turning in. one crucial thing, you must keep the old brain cell ticking over, either read or write, or do as do, contribute to all and everything on Arrse,

I know what you're thinking, this blokes a plonker, maybe so, but it stimulated the thinking processes and stops you turning into a vegetable. Get out and about, I know the old knees take a hammering, but a brisk walk, even if it is only 20 minutes keeps the old strawberry pumping along, and up here in the black country, I have a plethora of rural canal walks to choose from, and you can help nature by feeding the ducks and swans. Old is a state of mind, if you let yourself think that its all over, your body will react accordingly, and before you know it, its check out time.

An uncle of mine who died at 101, was still screaming about in a sports car into his ninety's, and quite lucid right up to his demise, my old dad now 91, still quite active and vocal, both done army time, both hard working sparkies, another symptom of getting older, is that you tend to ramble on and on and ......................

Up date on post 24. fast approaching 68, stomach acid causing massive discomfort at nights, my nurse daughter says this is normal, so lads, you have this bloody inconvenience to look forward to. Remedy, a glass of milk before turning in. one crucial thing, you must keep the old brain cell ticking over, either read or write, or do as do, contribute to all and everything on Arrse,

I know what you're thinking, this blokes a plonker, maybe so, but it stimulated the thinking processes and stops you turning into a vegetable. Get out and about, I know the old knees take a hammering, but a brisk walk, even if it is only 20 minutes keeps the old strawberry pumping along, and up here in the black country, I have a plethora of rural canal walks to choose from, and you can help nature by feeding the ducks and swans. Old is a state of mind, if you let yourself think that its all over, your body will react accordingly, and before you know it, its check out time.

An uncle of mine who died at 101, was still screaming about in a sports car into his ninety's, and quite lucid right up to his demise, my old dad now 91, still quite active and vocal, both done army time, both hard working sparkies, another symptom of getting older, is that you tend to ramble on and on and ......................
I have a small hiatus hernia. It used to cause a lot of acidburn discomfort at night.
My Doctor prescribed Lansoprazole and I have not had a problem since.
Give that a go.

Baked beans? Heck I had a bloody tin full yesterday on toast topped with a couple of poached eggs.
Funnily enough there is a bit of improvement to the knee this morning. I noticed it during the night but thought I was still half asleep. Perhaps the cortisone is finally starting to work having had it done Thursday morning.
I had a cortisone injection for a serious case of gout in the knee a few months back. It worked wonders; I was dancing like I was in singing in the rain 3 hours after having it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bravo_Zulu ARRSE: Site Issues 4
kezza005 Health and Fitness 10
crescent Health and Fitness 14