Over 50% of Bristol Prison Inmates Ex-Forces

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by milsum, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was told at the weekend by someone who works with the RBL, that over 50% of the inmates in Bristol Prison are ex-forces, and many were still quite young.

Am I naive to be astounded at this figure? What is going wrong with re-settlement and after care that such a state of affairs can come about? What happens to the families?

I've always been an advocate for young people to join the forces in reducing the likelihood of ending up on the wrong side of the law -especially for a young lad with little else to recommend himself than fitness and a desire to see the world a bit. With this statistic in mind I'm not so sure any more.
  2. Prisons are full of ex Toms. I would be very interested to know how it breaks down corps wise - are most ex Inf/Para?
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I would seriously doubt that statistic unless there is some deliberate manipulation going on that sends ex-Toms to Bristol.
    Knowing the city a bit from my youth I would be amazed to find any non-black, non-drug related convicted inmates resident there - in fact I would expect a waiting list...

If any other social/racial/or whatever group appeared in the prison system in disproportionate numbers studies would be made. In the case of ex-Toms it would also imply that previously they were of good character, not on an inevitable route to nick like some from others.
  4. Why would most be ex infantry or Paras you fucking retard? Para Regt has got a much better record than many units. People like you fucking piss me off.
  5. The former Mrs Baldrick works in HMP Bristol 40% to 50% is not an uncommon figure including those on remand. As has been pointed out the majority are in on Drug/Alcohol related offences.

One thing to bear in mind on these sort of figures, is following various programmes being introduced at the nick a lot of guys are Claiming to be "veterans" As long as an individual has served just one day (regular or reserve) and has a regimental number that has been checked through the RBL and other veterans agencies the they are included in these figures.
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The only record I could find by the Para Regt is this one:

You are right, it is better than many other units.....
  7. I expect you could find out pretty easily with an FOI request. Have you seen http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/? it makes submitting requests quick and easy. The powers that be are said to hate it.
  8. I ask that question because it is Infantry and Paras who are very much at the sharp end in the Sandpit. There is a lot of evidence that that some are coming home with PTSD or emotional problems and not getting the help that they need. When people fall through the cracks in the system one of the places they often end up is prison.

My question is not a slur on any regiment or an implication that certain types of soldiers are pre disposed to criminal behaviour.

Calm down...
  9. The statistic is genuine. Not to be too facetious, but perhaps the Army should add a course on "How not to be nicked" to the resettlement options - for everyone's sake.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The army I joined provided on-the-job training in that from day one :D
  11. So, does that mean that half the inmates say they are ex-forces, or that half have been checked and confirmed as being ex-forces? Having read 'Stolen Valor' I am a little suspicious of figures like this.
  12. That is the figure held by the RBL.
  13. All inmates included in HMP states are first checked out through CCRIO via the various agencies. To qualify for help from the various service charities an inmate must supply his DOB, Number, dates served and arm or service.

As Mrs B discovered it's surprising the amount of cons who claim to have served on Mt Longdon with 3 Para or with 'Them' turn out to have done a couple of months in the TA when the results come back! Still entitles them to help from the RBL etc though
  14. Apologies, I did search... Am not interested in statistic, but symptoms of a system that leads to this point, irrespective of the good work done to help those already there.