Over 37 Package - Dead?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by PoisonDwarf, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been on the Over 37 package for a while (old git) and this month since our mess got Pay As You Dine (PAYD), I seem to have lost my Over 37 benefits and I am now paying accommodation charges again.

I asked my local HR Admin staff (civvies) but they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I was told that Over 37 had ended because of PAYD, although I'm sure there are plans to change Over 37 anyway, to reflect over 19 years of service or similar.

When I asked where the rules were or what it was based on, no one could give me answer. That's life I suppose, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys. However, I wonder if any SPS combat assault clerks (hey I'm joking!) could advise on where the new rules are to be found.

Cheers

PD

2. We are a PAYD unit and have people on the Over 37 package. You still don't pay for Accom but you DO pay for your food.

Basically everyone pays for what they eat now.

It is in JSP 752, Chap 7 Sect 8 and the paragraph you need is 07.0807

e. A waiver of SLA charges for the duration of the VOLSEP service.

They will however be required to pay the appropriate food charge in a non-PAYD unit or for what they consume in a PAYD facility (see JSP 754).

Hope that helps (from a Civvy HR type monkey) :D

3. Cheers for that. Er...sorry for the HR monkey thing, but our lot are lethal. The wierd thing is, I've been charged on £17.30 and a line in my pay statement says "SLA: Type = BG4S Grade = OR*" (the * represents my "OR" level"). I have a funny feeling it's a JPAism.

4. I seem to remember it being mentioned on my JPA course (zzzzz) they were calling it 18 plus or something stupid? Not that helps you in any way 8O

5. I seem to remember it being mentioned on my JPA course (zzzzz) they were calling it 18 plus or something stupid? Not that helps you in any way 8O

6. Fair enough, but I've just reached my 20 year point so I reckon they've still messed up somewhere. £17 bloody 40? Diabolical liberty! (tight jock bstard eh?)

7. The over 37 package is still a going concern but is peculiar to the Army - as Elsie says JSP 752 Ch 7 Sect 8 covers the lot:

CHAPTER 7

SECTION 8

THE ARMY OVER 37 PROVISION

GENERAL

07.0801. Aim. The aim of the Army Over 37 Provision is to support the domestic stability of ‘the family’ of those Army personnel who choose to serve unaccompanied in the later part of their careers as part of the Army’s Accompanied Service policy. It does so by assisting with the costs of settling their immediate family at a Selected Place of Residence (SPR) in the UK and enabling them to serve voluntarily unaccompanied (VOLSEP) at their duty station without financial penalty.

07.0802 Transitional Arrangement. With the advent of JPA those Army personnel who were in receipt of the Over 37 Provision benefits on the 31 March 2007 will continue to receive them from 1 April 2007 onwards, provided they continue to serve VOLSEP and their personal circumstances do not change. There will be no new entitlement to Disturbance Allowance (DA), Movement of Personal Effects (PE) at public expense or to Education Allowances for those personnel whilst they continue to serve VOLSEP. It should be noted that the continuation of this Provision is subject to review as part of the Strategic Remuneration Review (SRR) – ‘Support for the Mixed Economy in Housing’.

07.0803. Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs). Longer Separation Allowance (LSA) attracts a personal liability for Income Tax and NICs. These are deducted automatically from the soldier’s salary. GYH Travel is non-taxable. In accordance with ITEPA 2003 Section 271 to 287 payment of DA and Movement of PE within this Provision attract a liability to both Income Tax and NICs. The tax and NICs will be met by MOD and paid by SPVA under a PSA.

ELIGIBILITY

07.0804. Eligible Service Personnel. Regular Army personnel who are aged 37 or over, married or in a Civil Partnership (eg Personal Status Category (PStat Cat) 1 or 2) and homeowners or householders (see definitions in Chapter 1 Section 2) may choose to serve VOLSEP, live in Single Living Accommodation (SLA) at their duty station and take the benefits of the Army Over 37 Provision, subject to the limitations at paragraph 07.0805. The soldier’s must also:

a. Be serving at, or about to serve at a duty station more than 50 miles from the property which qualifies them as a homeowner/householder.

b. Not already have opted for the benefits of the Final Tour of Duty Package (FTOD) (see Section 4 of this Chapter).

07.0805. Timing of Option. Eligible Army personnel may only opt to take the benefits of the Army Over 37 provision at, or within the 6 months after one of the following events:

a. A change of PStat Cat to 1 or 2.

b. A permanent assignment.

c. On reaching the age of 37 during a tour of duty.

INELIGIBILITY

07.0806. Ineligible Service Personnel. The following Service personnel are ineligible for the Army Over 37 Provision:

a. All RN and RAF personnel. Alternative arrangements for a waiver of SLA charges are made for RN and RAF personnel when they opt to serve VOLSEP, consistent with their single-Service accompanied service policies.

b. All Army personnel under the age of 37, but see paragraph 07.0808

ENTITLEMENT

07.0807. General. Service personnel who are eligible for the Army Over 37 Provision are entitled to:

a. The applicable full DA rate (see Section 1 of this Chapter) for a move to a SPR that qualifies the soldier as a homeowner/ householder. The property must be more than 50 miles from their current or new duty station, as appropriate. Where the soldier is assigned within 50 miles of the current duty station there will be no entitlement to DA or Removal of PE. Where the soldier opts for the Provision within 6 months of a change of PStat Cat to 1 or 2, or a permanent assignment, DA will only be paid for an associated family move if it had not been claimed for a previous family move within the previous 6 months.

b. The Child Element of DA, where applicable, in accordance with the regulations at Section 1 of this Chapter.

c. Movement of PE (see Section 2 of this Chapter), from the Residence at Work Address (RWA), and/or from store, to a SPR that qualifies the claimant as a homeowner/ householder. The property must be more than 50 miles from their current or new duty station, as appropriate. Where the soldier is assigned within 50 miles of the current duty station there will be no entitlement to movement of PE at public expense. Where the soldier opts for the Provision within 6 months of a change of PStat Cat to 1 or 2, or a permanent assignment, movement of PE at public expense will only be paid for an associated family move if it had not been paid for a previous family move within the last 6 months.

d. GYH Travel if the family residence is in the same theatre as the soldier’s permanent duty station, or LSA Level 1 if it is in a different theatre, for the period of VOLSEP service in accordance with the specific regulations at Chapter 5 Sections 2 and 1 respectively.

e. A waiver of SLA charges for the duration of the VOLSEP service.

They will however be required to pay the appropriate food charge in a non-PAYD unit or for what they consume in a PAYD facility (see JSP 754).

CONDITIONS

07.0808. Reaching Age 37 Within 6 Months of a Permanent Assignment. A soldier aged 36 years and 6 months or more on the date on which they are required to report for duty at a new permanent duty station, who is otherwise eligible for the Provision, will normally be permitted to opt for it from their assignment reporting date, provided it is economically reasonable. In these circumstances a case must be submitted to the Joint Personnel Administration Centre Pay and Allowances Casework Cell (JPAC PACC) for prior authority. Such cases are to be supported by full estimated costs for both options.

07.0809. Eligibility for Other Allowances. Army personnel who opt to claim the benefits of this Provision but who are in receipt of Continuity of Education Allowances (CEA) (see Chapter 9) will have their eligibility reviewed by their unit HR admin staff and the likely outcome is that the eligibility will cease. Further entitlement to School Children’s Visits (SCV) for the same child(ren) is also likely to cease. There will be no entitlement to initial claims for CEA or refunds of SCV costs for any other child(ren) of the family whilst the benefits of this Provision are being received.

RATES

07.0810. Rates. There are no specific rates calculated for the Army Over 37 Provision. The content of the Provision are the costs associated with moving to a SPR. These are the costs funded within DA (see Section 1 of this Chapter) and Movement of PE at public expense (see Section 2 of this Chapter). The separation allowance rates are as detailed in Chapter 5 Sections 1 and 2.

METHOD OF CLAIM

07.0811. Method of Claim. The individual elements of the Army Over 37 Provision are claimed in accordance with the instructions detailed in the specific Sections within this JSP.

8. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Never did understand the Army's methodology of licensing beanstealers.

9. It's because we're all on 2 or 3 year tours and continually move our families around, unlike the RAF and RN. The Over 37 package is supposed to be a concession where a soldier can spend his last tour unaccompanied and allow the family to get a foothold in their preferred area without being financially disadvantaged.

10. There is also the factor of career length in the army-the O37 kicks in at about the time most people are getting the finger in the chest from 'er indoors about having our own home, kids getting near to exams etc etc. I have been on the package for 6 years now and it is a good scheme. Not saying it is an incentive to stay but it reduces the incentives to leave and lets you crack on with the job and not become a bitter and twisted wrecth just hanging on for the pension

11. With the upper age for recruitment now at 33, the over 37 package needs an urgent rethink! Otherwise older enlisters would be eligible after just over 4 years!! I believe there is talk of changing it to a time served package - over 18 or 19 years or something like that. (which would be a fairer system)

12. Is the increase definatly in line with accom charges, remember that food charges have now gone up (010408) and are 1 flat rate for all regardless of circumstance. £3.50 per day roughly.

13. Unfortunately your eligibility to the over 37's package rests with the person in the admin office who reads the Four clearly listed criteria. You only have to fufill one of these criteria.

Many people become eligible at the age of 36 years and 6 months, as it clearly states that you can claim 'within 6 months' of your 37'th birthday. But then some admin offices say no. Unless you have lived the average squaddie lifestyle of residing in quarters, there isn't really much in it for you.

Buy hey, if you can get even 1p out of the fcukers and create loads of work for someone in the process, then claim :D

14. I have just read Pay Wog's post and it made by eyes bleed! I am due posting next year at the age of 42. Mrs Berlin will be remaining in our own house in the UK and I am off to Germany - will I be eligible to claim the Over 37 package and who do I set the wheels in motion with - my old unit or my new one?

Berlin

Edited once

15. I hope your taking the p*ss, I just left after 25 years on the basis that my next job was 240 miles away from my family home and even though the move came with a promotion I would be significantly out of pocket. Brilliant move as it turns out and something I would have done years ago if I had known, but I actually wasn't ready to end my career; it was forced upon me by short sightedness, something like this may well have kept me in (in fact it most certainly would have) so why is it unique to the Army in these days of "jointery" ?

I have done 3 year rotational tours all over the country: Portsmouth, Weymouth, Yeovil, Prestwick, Culdrose and Peterborough for my entire RN career and am certainly not the exception to the rule so your theory doesn't wash!