Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Perevodchik, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why do I only hear this horrible word from members of the Intelligence Corps? Is it because a former D INT used it in almost every bloody sentence, or is sounding like a pretentious idiot now a Corps requirement?

2. Albeit that this is an interesting topic it is outwith my purview so I will decline to comment :wink:
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its a PW thing!
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

You'll hear it in Scotland, too.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Home of the PW!
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Yes, got it now.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Although I found it to be a west coast thing and even wierder when their attached Romanian Engineers started writing method statements in jockanese using such phrases!
  8. The word should be outlawed immediately.
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Do you mean it should be outwith the Law?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If they have ever had a Scot as D INT this could well have started a tradition ?

Particularly my experience is that Aberdonians will never use "outside our responsibility" but always "outwith"

..though I would never completely rule out the possibilities of jargonisation or pretention!
  11. Apropo that fine word outwith, it was being bandied about way back in the early 70s by such fine lexicographers as the late Sammy Hart and Brigadier Rory Walker, and I was able to insert the term in many of my virgin reports in the Corps.
  12. I thought it was a Fifer thing?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Could have been from Alyth but I believe its also a Perthshire thing !
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have found that in organisations where the sweaties cant band together they tend to use English terms rather than PW ones even if there are a few of them about. Its more a case of their environment accepting the usage!
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I found its use strong amongst the Weegies in First Engineering!