Outstanding Service From Lancs Plod Firearms Dept - Amazed

This is pretty much a first for me, I was contacted by the Admin Manager of the Lancs plod in late Dec last year in order to confirm the latest of my "Open" permissions. During the discussion he asked me to send in my FAC for the purpose of an "Administrative tidy up" as apparently my previous file from N Wales was missing various bits of detail/papers.

My first thoughts were along the lines of ".......F*** me, going to get shafted again, stand by for incoming." but nonetheless I was a good boy and sent it off accompanied by a covering letter in which the changes which had been agreed were set out as well as including a caveat that none of the proposed changes would diminish or in in any way restrict or alter the terms etc.

Got it back all nice and shiny on Friday of last week, all good, in fact all very good as not only do I now have an "Open" permission for my Saiga 12 bore as well as a significant increase in the quantity of rounds I am permitted to purchase/hold.

Not being an arselicker but being someone who appreciates a good job done well I called him up to thank him - which was only fair.

It strikes me as being rather a sad and sorry state of affairs that horror stories regarding Firearms Depts are pretty much the norm, every SGC/FAC owner I have ever spoken to has a few of these to relate hence my surprise.

I recon that he'll be sacked by Friday.

ugly

LE
Sussex are reckoned by many to be poor, I have had six month waits whilst they argued over silly little items. That said I have seen certificates amended overnight effectively to allow people to go stalking. Frankly its not rocket science and for a while open certificates were a default setting at Lewes. What I did find uncomfortable was during the Op Solitaire stuff Lewes was holding up Hampshire as the gold standard, something everyone in the room knew was bad news!
As for Op Solitaire, yup grassing up oddballs works doesn't it? Ryan, grassed up, Hamilton, grassed up, yes to both, what happened? Well we all know how we got here today but no one has satisfactorily been able to state why the shooters were punished instead of those who allowed them access to firearms!

Offshore_Harry

Old-Salt
Sussex have many problem's at the moment & are in partnership with Surrey to reduce costings.
So departments are facing massive changes and it's all about saving money now.
Hence more collaboration between the 2 forces.

ugly

LE
Sussex have many problem's at the moment & are in partnership with Surrey to reduce costings.
So departments are facing massive changes and it's all about saving money now.
Hence more collaboration between the 2 forces.
They've been in partnership for a few years now, there was talk about the southern felweg (?) group amalgamating all of their resources. The next logical step is a southern police service.

ugly

LE
My personal experience with Lancs police has always been excellent!

Offshore_Harry

Old-Salt
They've been in partnership for a few years now, there was talk about the southern felweg (?) group amalgamating all of their resources. The next logical step is a southern police service.
Oh yes, Kent, Sussex & Surrey plod together.
The Air Ambulance Service now covers the 3 counties.

D

Deleted 60082

When my wife an I started a series of overseas postings in 2001, I transferred a nice brace of box-locks to a cousin (qv). I've let my licences/FAC lapse but I will be returning later this year and want to recover my guns (for game shooting), and add a .22 (for target practice) and a very fine 0.303 MLE No 1 Mk1* to my inventory (both out on 'loan' to other shooters) - for a bit of deer staling on a cousin's holding in Scotland. Does anyone know what Cumbria Constabulary like these days (especially after Derek Bird went postal in 2010)?

ugly

LE
It wouldn't surprise me if Cumbria were like Sussex and starting to share resources. If so you could end up with Prestons finest doing your paperwork

It wouldn't surprise me if Cumbria were like Sussex and starting to share resources. If so you could end up with Prestons finest doing your paperwork
The move toward national assets is flavour of the month.

On a logistics side, why not. Do GMP and Cheshire really need separate people procuring Polo Shirts and printer cartridges?

On the Policing side, obviously people like FIB need to within the Force Area, but back office.

Obviously it has to be done well. I was greatetly amused on the go live of Sharded Services across Greater Manchester when my salary was reduced by 80%.

Of course I wasn’t being picked on personally (despite suggestions from my No.2) and of course the help line / service desk fell over like a homeless person on Spice due to the volume of calls.

Jim_diGriz

Old-Salt
Cumbria have been absolutely fine with me, however they do have a huge backlog that they are slowly chewing through caused by a lack of sucession planning. Ian the Local FEO turned up with a temporary cert at renewal time as they knew that they would not get it turned around in time.

When my wife an I started a series of overseas postings in 2001, I transferred a nice brace of box-locks to a cousin (qv). I've let my licences/FAC lapse but I will be returning later this year and want to recover my guns (for game shooting), and add a .22 (for target practice) and a very fine 0.303 MLE No 1 Mk1* to my inventory (both out on 'loan' to other shooters) - for a bit of deer staling on a cousin's holding in Scotland. Does anyone know what Cumbria Constabulary like these days (especially after Derek Bird went postal in 2010)?
Firearms Licensing
As mentioned above, they have a large backlog:
The Firearms Licensing Unit are experiencing backlogs of work, particularly in respect of the grant and renewal of firearm and shotgun certificates.

Whilst we are working to reduce these we would ask for your patience and also request you only make calls to the Unit if essential. This website has been updated to provide additional information for all areas of Firearms Licensing to assist you.
SGC for the boxlocks shouldn't be a problem. FAC for the .303 again, so long as you have land on which to shoot over as you mention. .22RF for targets would mean club membership. Might be easier to say it's for rabbits on your cousins land in Scotland and they should condition it to allow zeroing etc on ranges.

A weighty tome, but has some good points: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Is that missing an 'e' or a 'k'?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As for Op Solitaire, yup grassing up oddballs works doesn't it? Ryan, grassed up, Hamilton, grassed up, yes to both, what happened? Well we all know how we got here today but no one has satisfactorily been able to state why the shooters were punished instead of those who allowed them access to firearms!
Well for all the bad reports TVP had within the shooting community they managed to turn one oke's first appln around in very short order.
Don't know if the fact he shot at ranges with serving Police Officers had anything to do with it, but at least they managed all the checks quickly enough, so kudos to them I suppose.

Oh wait a minute, wasn't there a couple of people amongst the target shooters who voiced unease ?
Ja well no fine.
Non-uniformed civilians in the community aren't as trained and aware as the Officers this person used to shoot with, same goes for the office staff.
Still, I'm sure Mr. Ryan's appln was as thoroughly checked as every other applicant.

Latest Threads