Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outrageous Kit Combinations

ee533dc3445b113ff9e8c0cc52f9f9d6.jpg

[no-wha] Is this an actual gen uniform?

Who though this looked “military” needs their eyes testing! My high school geography teacher looked more fierce! [\no-wha]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is, and almost every regt / corps has their own colour woolly pully. An order of dress (rig to you navy blue heathens) only worn by officers and WO1s as I recall.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Skipperino

Swinger
A particularly bad one in the RN a few years ago was 'improved action working dress'... basically, a glorified blue norgie with shoulder straps, worn with the regular 4s/8s rig.

It was scrapped pretty quickly from what I understand.

A particularly bad one in the RN a few years ago was 'improved action working dress'... basically, a glorified blue norgie with shoulder straps, worn with the regular 4s/8s rig.

It was scrapped pretty quickly from what I understand.

I still wear one as opposed to the current issue fleece under the pcs shirt, (no one can see it, it’s probably more fire retardant and it’s much more comfy). They’re also issued to the new recruits on RNAC in Rosyth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skipperino

Swinger
I still wear one as opposed to the current issue fleece under the pcs shirt, (no one can see it, it’s probably more fire retardant and it’s much more comfy). They’re also issued to the new recruits on RNAC in Rosyth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any idea when they were officially (or otherwise) scrapped?

Any idea when they were officially (or otherwise) scrapped?
I was still aquiring the nice thick norgie ones 10 years ago but these days it's the not so nice thin ones RNAC get. So I would go for about 2006ish.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I was still aquiring the nice thick norgie ones 10 years ago but these days it's the not so nice thin ones RNAC get. So I would go for about 2006ish.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Officially norgies were stopped before I joined in 2005 sorry mate (phase 1’s were loaned them during training at Raleigh but they were only worn when a days instruction and rounds were complete and we were just billing boots- you weren’t allowed out of your divisional block wedding them, they were akin to a relaxed rig). Maybe it’s just because your stores is in an area slow on the uptake and then trying to get kit off the shelf?

I believe they weren’t popular at all. They apparently loose their shape (no idea how, mines lasted 15 years next month and the only thing wrong is I had to sew down one of the shoulder straps as the velcro melted in the chogi’s tumble dryers) there’s no name tapes or branch badges affixed either and this was the main shirt replacement, not an addition to like the current fleece is.

And I prefer the thin one

7b01321100ed995539b6340ce7cd1a2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langsam

Crow
IJLB Oswestry circa early 70's. C (Jocks & Para) Co had a company commander from one of the Jock regiments, Not sure if he was QOH or Gordons. When he was field officer of the week he would go through his whole retinue of dress from No 1 to No7 and back again including walking around with a shepherds crook. He was very smart and if you were on show parade or guard then he would inspect everyone including the Orderly Officer! I was told he was a mysoginist which at the tender age of 16 meant to me he was 'gay', but someone more edumacated than me told me what it meant. He was a very kind person, but god help you if you were wheeled in front him (especially for not going to Church parade)
Major Mack?

Major Mack?
Spot on. Major DIA (Donald) Mack late RSF/RHF.
Donald was one of the old guard (Pl Cmdr in Malaya 1954), loved the regiment and could take you back to the formation of the Regiment without making you feel bored he knew the history inside out. He was a stickler to correct orders of dress, and had all the variations.
I remember a skirmish in the Regimental Journal over the correct headress to be used when the Bn deployed for the First Gulf War. He advocated wearing the ToS, where as Major John Potter who was RHF but was serving with 1RS as a Company Commander was help bent of the tin bin at all times - John was progressive and got an MC for it. Sadly now gone but his medals are in the Ashcroft collection.
Needless to say it was a giggle to read, but got quite heated!
Donald was an incredibly kind person, and a great ambassador for the Regiment.

It's barrack dress (or whatever the number is for it these days), the Light Dragoons.

And I agree, it does look the least military military uniform I've seen. The ORs version is even worse, being without shoulder straps. Just looks like a dad jumper without them.

And who is the foreign ? chappie holding his hand ?

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
I want to know what's happening about the developing scandal of half mast folded sleeves!

Its a real thing, questions have been asked at the highest levels!

I want to know what's happening about the developing scandal of half mast folded sleeves!

Its a real thing, questions have been asked at the highest levels!
I thought ‘hero sleeves’ had been considered a fashion faux pas for some time now?

Diko

Old-Salt
In the early ‘60s we in the TA were issued with khaki battle dress and a greatcoat with staybright buttons. On the range or on exercise we bought green combat jackets to keep us warm on top of denims. It was Fred Karnos army alright.

Latest Threads