Outrage as vicar drops not multicutural enough Remembrance

#1
It's in the Mail but...........

For decades, smartly dressed veterans and servicemen and women in Wood Green, north London, have proudly packed their parish church for the traditional Remembrance Sunday service.

But this year there will be no such solemn ceremony at St Michael's - because the vicar felt it was not multicultural enough.

Father Colin Coppen decided it was unfair on non-Anglicans to make them attend a church of England service.

Instead he has decreed that soldiers who fought and died for their country will only be remembered during Parish Mass.

If the borough wants to remember its fallen than it should do so outside the church, he says.

The decision was yesterday branded 'disgusting' by members of the Royal British Legion and parishioners, while non-Anglican groups said it was completely unnecessary.
Full Story link

It makes you wonder what the motive of the vicar is, seeing that

The Muslim Council of Britain said it had "absolutely" no objection to Muslims attending Remembrance Sunday services.

"The MCB has attended services and been represented at the annual ceremony at the Cenotaph," a spokeswoman said.

And they wonder why people are avoiding god's serpents, sorry servants in this country.
 
#3
daz said:
And they wonder why people are avoiding god's serpents, sorry servants in this country.
Oh purleeeeeeeese. It's a Daily Female story.
 
#4
I was under the impression that the Act of Rememberance was an inter denomination, non religeous service? It just so happens to be hosted by the Church. What right has Father Colin Coppen got to ban the service? Surely its not his decision. Do his superiors not have some input? It would be akin to a Pl Comd deciding not to carry out a lawful order.
 
#6
BoomShackerLacker said:
daz said:
And they wonder why people are avoiding god's serpents, sorry servants in this country.
Oh purleeeeeeeese. It's a Daily Female story.
boom, it is, and was noted, but, and here's the important bit, he’s not the first vicar to do so, the BBC carried a article a few weeks ago about a similar case in North Wales, I’ll try and find the link and add it to this thread.
 
#7
War veterans' Poppy Day boycott

Former soldiers will boycott a Remembrance Sunday church service because the vicar will not read out the names of World War I dead.
Members of the Royal British Legion in Chirk, Wrexham, are refusing to attend the St Mary's Church service over their dispute with Reverend Tony Rees.

Chirk Town Council will not officially attend the service either.

Mr Rees said he was "fed up to the back teeth," adding: "It's not the British Legion's job to run a church service".

He added: "The vicar is in charge of the church service"

It's absolutely trivial to say 'I'm not coming to church because you're not doing it my way.'

"I'm fed up to the back teeth of it."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/5399292.stm

So, what was it again about God’s representatives working with the local community’s?
 
#10
daz said:
War veterans' Poppy Day boycott

Former soldiers will boycott a Remembrance Sunday church service because the vicar will not read out the names of World War I dead.
Members of the Royal British Legion in Chirk, Wrexham, are refusing to attend the St Mary's Church service over their dispute with Reverend Tony Rees.

Chirk Town Council will not officially attend the service either.

Mr Rees said he was "fed up to the back teeth," adding: "It's not the British Legion's job to run a church service".

He added: "The vicar is in charge of the church service"

It's absolutely trivial to say 'I'm not coming to church because you're not doing it my way.'

"I'm fed up to the back teeth of it."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/5399292.stm

So, what was it again about God’s representatives working with the local community’s?
The vicar is absolutely right. He's running the church service and should resist the service being hijacked or blackmailed. He has to consider the whole congregation and what the real role of the church is in the community. It's poor show indeed that they've boycotted the church, in the very least.

It concerns me that the Veterans' noble good intent to pay respects to the Fallen doesn't unwittingly let them fall into these 'disputes', and as a result be perceived as heavy handed in their dealings. Both the town council and BL need to ensure they are committed to the church through the year and not dictate to it when it wishes to use its facilities for their purposes, on this one occasion.

Poor show gentlemen.
 
#11
Juvenal said:
Hang on...Father Coppen, and Parish Mass, in an Anglican church? Aren't those RC terms?
The higher more catholic, with a small 'c', Anglican churches use Father as a term also.
 
#12
Fair enough, but still doesn't explain Parish Mass - unless they're so high on something that they think they're floating back to Rome...
 
#13
BoomShackerLacker said:
Juvenal said:
Hang on...Father Coppen, and Parish Mass, in an Anglican church? Aren't those RC terms?
The higher more catholic, with a small 'c', Anglican churches use Father as a term also.
Correct:

http://www.woodgreenparish.com/

But you have to look very very hard to find any mention of C of E
(I only found it by looking at the Primary School denomination)

A bit of their ethos says it all:

We are a vibrant worshipping community of peoples from all over the world who have come to live and work in and around Wood Green, Haringay, Tottenham, Palmers Green, Enfield, Edmonton and many other areas of North London.
We come together to be renewed by word and sacrament in the mass - so that we can go out into the world to serve the Lord in others and build his kingdom.

Our setting is the Victorian splendour of St Michael's Church - although our liturgy is modern and reformed. Its enhanced by the use of multi-media, providing an all round experience of light, joy, colour and song.

Vicars or Rectors (for it is a Parsh Church) like this wonder why they only have a small core support???
 
#14
Gremlin said:
We are a vibrant worshipping community of peoples from all over the world who have come to live and work in and around Wood Green, Haringay, Tottenham, Palmers Green, Enfield, Edmonton and many other areas of North London.
We come together to be renewed by word and sacrament in the mass - so that we can go out into the world to serve the Lord in others and build his kingdom.

Our setting is the Victorian splendour of St Michael's Church - although our liturgy is modern and reformed. Its enhanced by the use of multi-media, providing an all round experience of light, joy, colour and song.

Vicars or Rectors (for it is a Parsh Church) like this wonder why they only have a small core support???
Nicely written description of the church's vision. This thread appears to be a witch-hunt "Look 'ere Vicar, do it our way, or we're off!". The church is not a retail store in which you buy its services. If it feels it has to move the style of service on and break with traditions then it's the Minister's prerogative as it has to serve the community through the rest of the year. The church has to change and move on.

Yours dismayed.
 
#15
Instead he has decreed that soldiers who fought and died for their country will only be remembered during Parish Mass......

The Muslim Council of Britain said it had "absolutely" no objection to Muslims attending Remembrance Sunday services.
The Moslems claim that they have no problems.

Good.

I sure wish the newspaper checks if they do attend the Parish Mass (since the Serivce is cancelled) and how many attends the same.

Its all fine to act the great one, after the fact!

It quite ridiculous to have cancelled the Service in any case.

In India, non Christians attend the Chapel in the Missionary and Christian schools. No one objects.
 
#16
My apologies if some one else has already posted this, bu I am so a blood annoyed I wanted to post this in a hurry

Daily Mail


Outrage as vicar drops 'not multicutural enough' Remembrance Sunday service
By ANDREW LEVY Last updated at 22:00pm on 27th October 2006
For decades, smartly dressed veterans and servicemen and women in Wood Green, north London, have proudly packed their parish church for the traditional Remembrance Sunday service.

But this year there will be no such solemn ceremony at St Michael's - because the vicar felt it was not multicultural enough.

Father Colin Coppen decided it was unfair on non-Anglicans to make them attend a church of England service.

Instead he has decreed that soldiers who fought and died for their country will only be remembered during Parish Mass.

If the borough wants to remember its fallen than it should do so outside the church, he says.

The decision was yesterday branded 'disgusting' by members of the Royal British Legion and parishioners, while non-Anglican groups said it was completely unnecessary.

Wood Green RBL chairman Bob King, 68, said:"It's disgusting. That man would not be a vicar if it wasn't for the sacrifices of people who gave their lives for us.

"Hitler and the Germans would be marching across Britain in their jackboots.

"A lot of people like to go to the service - various organisations, as well as individuals.

"In the 1940s and long after the war, we were still a Church of England country and it is still a Church of England church.

"It's all right to have all these faiths but, after all, we are all praying to the same God and they should hold the normal service."
 
#17
Posted earlier

Still makes me mad though.
 
#18
Disgusting and saddening!
 
#19
in_the_cheapseats said:
Posted earlier

Still makes me mad though.
Damn, sorry about that, I have been banging it onto every forum that I am a member off, is the Queen still head of the Church of England? I might just pop her an email
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top