Outlook on life. Stone me!

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by swordman, Sep 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lets talk about the "Fun" of mine lifting under fire....

More tea Vicar?

Its that moment that you discover an S mine hidden amongst the Teller mines, that brings home to you ....What great fun mine lifting is.

Another Cucumber sandwich Vicar?

As you gaze fondly at this "Y" shaped trigger mechanism ... you do tend to forget the CRUMP of shells and the flat CRACK of mortars around you.

Perhaps an upside down cake Vicar?

The apprehension of trying NOT to place your feet and hands outside the swept area. Even more fun.

Do you do Sunday school Vicar?

I have experienced that fun first hand, with an S mine as it jumped up to head level and exploded, with row upon row of steel balls.

I have still got one buried in my skull, another made a hole in the top of my left leg ….and cut a groove in some of my very delicate! and treasured! private equipment. Luckily for me! the steel balls had gone through my mate first….Saved me life. Not his!

Would you like a watercress sandwich Vicar?

Filled me boots with blood, so that they squelched as I walked.

A glass of parsnip wine Vicar?

GREAT BIG GRIN
    Swordman

2. Edited as Mr Deputy gave his head a good wobble! Swordsman - great stuff. Any more?

3. I am surprised and saddened, to read the reports that the army had murdered, and tortured, prisoners under their care.

What has happened to the army that they indulge in such behavior?

During my service I never witnessed any brutality such as this. Indeed. Anyone that treated prisoners badly would soon fall foul of British Arny Discipline.

Not even the totally evil SS! Every prisoner was treated by the rules of the Geneva convention.

To that end. I never witnessed ill treatment of prisoners.

I have seen them getting the rough end, when they stepped out of line with their arrogance. BUT no one ever systematically mistreated.
    So whats gone wrong?

4. Would a soldier's mentality be somehow different in those days ? I do vaguely how The Falklands War and how strange it seemed that two sides both wore a uniform and had an unspoken respect for each other unlike say how a Brit soldier felt for an IRA terrorist . Nowadays enemies dress as civilians and hide behind women and children . Or that's the perception :?

5. This tread is starting to lose me.
    Swordman I assume the Teller was a 'Bouncing Betty' a type invented by the Italians.
    You are a very lucky man to be alive, but then you know that.
    One of the TV progs we get out here, made for a US audience I'm afraid, had a Brit explosives expert, Stanley ?, demonstrate the effects of a Bouncing Betty.
    They only used Fig 11 targets but the bomb going off at 'Waist' height sliced though the surrounding 'Ranks'.
    During my days in BAOR early 70's we had an OLD Para who had jumped at Arnhem, left the service in 45 when released from POW camp and then rejoined some years later.
    If you got to know him he would tell of the German he shot. Running around a corned he literally ran into a German Soldier and as his 9 Mil was pressed into the Germans stomach he pulled the trigger.
    john

6. sounds as if the original poster was very nearly a future date for paul mc cartney .

I know he majors on lady types but he must have packed a little fudge in just to spice it up a little ??

7. I cannot quite make up my mind about the last post? Are you saying that I am not believed? Or that I am exaggerating? Far from it.... the post is "Understated" Woud some kind soul explain what is meant by that posting?
    Cheers...
    Swordman

8. Ignore him Swordman. There's one born every minute.

Good writing by the way. I like your style.

9. I think the implication was that, as you very nearly ended up with only the one leg, you'd have been right up Sir Paul's alley...
    He's usually into the girls but, maybe, he and the legless-one had 'experimented' with bottomy and he might, therefore, not be averse to, ahem, 'being right up your alley'. As it were.

Actually, that was the most straightforward part of the entire thread so far as I can see.

Did I miss something?

10. Advice to Haggler:

1. Consult the various Stickies to learn about ARRSE etiquette.
    2. Read every one of swordman's posts to learn about who you are maligning.
    3. Take appropriate action.

Anyone can make a mistake. Few have the balls to put it right.

11. To be fair, it's not perfectly crafted, but there's not a huge amount wrong with H's underlying contention! 8O

12. My maternal grandfather died when I was eight and the fact that I never really had time to get to know him is one of my most significant regrets in life. He was an RASC Sgt in North Africa and Italy.

His wife, my grandmother, who passed away last week as it happens, years ago asked my mother to pass his medals on to me. They came in the original box, still unopened, and along with the ribbons and campaign medals were three oak leaves. One was for repeatedly entering a minefield, under fire, to extract casualties from a minestrike.

My grandmother had been crippled for at least a couple of decades with rhematoid arthritis and it was, one way or another, the drug regime which finally killed her. In her later years, whilst still on top of her game mentally in general terms, she did start to lose her short term memory: the upshot was lots of repetition of the same stories from her youth, particularly the war years, which became interconnected and confused over the course of a conversation. One story in particular involved a shot down German aircrew waiting by the side of the road to be arrested, as she cycled to work one morning and evolved into the fact that one of them had, after the war, sent my mother a present. Last week, clearing her effects, my mother found a letter from a PW who had been in hospital in the next bed to my grandfather in Africa, both suffering from dystenry: he refered to the dress which he had sent their little girl (my mother) in thanks for the support and friendship which he had received from her father.

Funny thing: I can't think of the last time I sat and contemplated WW2 minefields. It seems, one way or another, to have become the subject of the week.

13. I personally found posting a few :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: and an PM containing a sincere apology to Swordman does help the situation . Mind you I never insinuated he was gay

14. ME??? Oh! I belong to the crusty old Buzzards brigade. A traditional old Veteran made up of good Dorset Country stock.
    I still cannot make out what was being said in that posting??? Not that it matters much...... At my age I have had every kind of posting...... good and bad...
    But I had better reiterate what I have posted many times; I write these little bits of what went on years ago, for one reason only.
    That those that never came home "will be remembered!" I used to produce a NVA monthly magazine and was always asking for the Vets memoirs Saying this;
    "When you go you will take it all with you"

As so many folk are now realising this....Why did I not ask when he was alive?
    Cheers Swordman

15. Thank you - that's mostly the regret I have, and have expressed so badly in that last rambling post about grandparents.