outlook banned ? we should be told.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by sirbhp, Jun 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Talking to a mate of mine this afternoon he tells me that a few weeks ago his email wouldn't receive incoming mail although he could send outgoing. His ISP is BT .
    He called the helpline and they fixed it by changing a password .

This week the same thing happened except this time BT said that they do not support outlook and my oppo should migrate to yahoo. He did not wish to go to yahoo but they insisted that he must do so if he wanted incoming emails.

I have had the same thing with talk talk and have to use their AOL mail thingy which is not good. I cannot get incoming mail on and other email software free or not .

Is this a cunning plan by the ISP's and whats more is it legal IF it's them killing outlook. ?

2. I'm sure OFCOM or the OFT would have something to say about it. It's akin to ransom demands

3. I use (Microsoft) Windows Live Mail. Does this not replace / update Outlook?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sounds like they're rigging their servers to block Outlook and force people to take their ad-laden web-based mail clients.

The easiest way is to go on using them as an ISP but stop using their mailservers. Just buy your own domain name and go to an independent company for hosting. Twenty quid a year and you get freedom from the ISP's monitoring and advertising based on the contents of your mails.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Or another way to do it is to use Yahoo as requested (my emails are through BT) and then set up Outlook to receive all your mail. That way I get the features of Outlook without the annoying adverts of Yahoo. Doesn't stop spam mail though!

6. No, it might replace Outlook Express as a free gizzit from Microsoft, but it's nothing like an email client, archiver cum calender, organiser jobby. That said Outlook is shit compared to the likes of Thunderbird.

Check with your ISP it probably offers other ways outlook can get at your mail than POP.

7. I'm on BT and have no problems with my Outlook acct.

8. daz

daz LE

No, it replaced outlook express

9. Ah I see. That'd be why I like it then. I use gmail through Live Mail on my desktop. I'll check my sisters, she uses Outlook (still) through BT.

10. Yes it is bluddy annoying. Yahoo, AOL, Google, all of them intrusive, nosey, cheeky web based crappy email services I don't want to use. TalkTalk foist their extremely crap Email system on us (based on AOL), which as far I could see, didn't work for months and is utter shite. If it turns out TalkTalk block Outlook should I choose to use it, that'll wind me up even more.

11. Sometimes the settings need nuking and doing again from scratch. It sounds like this is the case here. It doesn't happen often but when it does it can be a pain when it's not recognsied.

12. HHH

HHH LE

13. FFS.

Buy a domain name, instead of being mongo!_loid57208@bt.com you can be drooler@mongoloidist.co.uk or whatever else you choose. Costs a fiver for a couple of years. Rent a bit of hosting with mailservers, costs under £20 a year. Set it up and no ads, use whatever client you like, no data-mining of your email content to target ads at you.

Of course if you're tight-fisted then crack on with the web mail that your Masters (copyright JJH) command you to use.

14. daz

daz LE

• Like Like x 1
  15. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

will try it out and see .