outlook advice

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Porridge_gun, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

After yesterdays laptop thread, today I need to import, migrate, shift, swap whatever you want to call it my outlook account from my desktop to the Windows 8 version on the new laptop.

Help!!

How the **** do I do it?

2. Is it POP3, Exchange or IMAP?

3. Quick and dirty answer.
    If its the normal PC/LT type setup the save the data as a .pst file then import it into the new setup. If you ask the help file it should link to the location.
    for MSO up to and including 2010.

4. assuming you cant just sycn everything from the online account as PE4 says save to memory stick on the old system then popinto the new system and drop the file into your new system (there should be a .pst file in your my docs folder) replace the existing file with your save from your old machine then tell outlook to open it.

also the idea of useing hotmail account wiht skydrive & office on the web to keep your date safe isnt a bad idea if you thinking you will loose /break the laptop and still need instant access from another machine (parts of it even work on the win8 phones if you have one)

5. Does it make a difference, from with in Outlook?

6. yeah for one you need hte outlook connector for the other it doesnt work well with it (pop/imap) and for exchange you need more advanced setup which may or may not require the admin to add your system to the list of safe systems (depends on the security setup of the exchange server)

edit
    i cant remember which way round it is, but i stopped useing outlook when i stopped useing an exchange mail system....

7. The connector is for Hotmail. That's http mail.

8. Well if it's Exchange, everything lives on the server and you just connect the machine to it. If it's IMAP then your messages are on the server and you only need transfer your contacts and calendar.

9. Export it to a .PST file and import the PST file into your new setup. Pretty simple actually, did it many times myself.

p.s: I've only ever use (ed) Outlook for work stuff. Been on Gmail since '05 for all personal mail.

10. Are you touching the new thing?

11. 've just bought a lap- top with Windows 8, after 24hrs, all I can say is it's an absolute pile of shite........ some things are easy, but other things are completely unfit for ******* purpose...... *****!!!!!!!!

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

probably the best thing for new win8 users is a start button prog like start8 or I use classic start menu.

the issue I've found is the start screen apps don't often talk to the desktop progs which is an arse but I don't really bother with the start screen at all allthough I have filled the screen with freebies and the maps app is usefull if basic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

PG export your old outlook to a wab file then import it to win8

14. Its a lot better then Windows 7, you just need to to what grumble says and get start8 or classic start menu, then everything will be ok.