Outer knee pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dirk_digler, Aug 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi chaps,
    With AOSB fast approaching I have been training my tits off, in peparation for the bleep test and assault course.
    However, I have picked up an injury - Iliotibial band syndrome - (or so my friend tells me) which is the tissue/tendon that runs from the outside of your hip to the outside of your knee being inflamed and rubbing.

I can do the phys with no pain, then 1-2 hours later I literally cannot weight bare on my left knee. Especialy difficult decending stairs, infact almost impossible. Funnily enough walking up stairs is fine.

Anyway, my GP said I would need an MRI scan and need to see a consultant as he thinks it could be a minicus tear or foreign body in the joint.

But my friend who is a professional rugby player and qualified physio said because I am so unflexible in my hamstrings/ hip felxors/ groin and lower back etc he thinks it is a TFL inflamation.

Sorry for the essay, but any advice would be mch appreciated
  2. Listen to your doctor AND your mate. Get the problem sorted and then include Yoga as part of your phys routine. Some forms are not as namby pamby cissy/ hippy as you might think (I used to think like that and then tried Ashtanga Vinyassa Yoga and had my prejudices swiftly altered! :oops: ).

I have had an enforced 4 week break from my yoga and have picked up more injuries in the intervening period than I have in the last two years of hard training. Give it a go and get well soon! :D
  3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am not a doc or med qualified but having had a few knee problems over the years (rugby player, skier, serving officer) here's my advice for what it is worth.

First get the MRI ASAP - it wiil confirm whether there is serious damage/foreign body etc. Also, if there is a serious issue, it will confirm treatment/op required and stop you doing any more damage.

You might want to consider easing back on the training, or doing something less in terms of impact. Tried rowing or bike ?

Flexibility always helps so if you are not warming up and down and stretching, I recommend you start - but take the stretching easy as you can injure yourself. I suggest you get your mate, the physio, to put a stretching routine together for you.

If you are going to continue training, then post-ex, ice pack on knee, 10-15 minutes on, 10-15 mins off, then repeat twice. Time consuming but it will probably help. Anti-inflammatory drugs might help but speak to your doctor !

Good luck.
  4. Might as well stop exercising now so as to avoid exacerbating your injury. Take the opportunity to reflect on your training regime & see if you weren't incorporating enough rest days in to your schedule to allow your connective tissues to repair.

There's now a "history" of joint / knee problems on your medical records as you went to your GP. I'm not familiar with the AOSB process but once the army medical staff get wind of it won't you be in line for a lengthy deferral (It was 2 years for OSD in one of my knees)?

Anyway obviously no one here can diagnose you, but most people are probably going to tell you what you don't want to hear; stop training, inform army delaying your application stating reasons, get fixed up, train more intelligently next time.

*But obviously worse case scenario there. If you're lucky it might just be tendonitis, something a few weeks rest / non-impact training can't sort out.
  5. cheers for the reply mate. I intend on getting the MRI to make sure theres nothing sh.it with the joint. Doc said I could be waiting 6weeks for that, about the same time as my AOSB. Ideally I need to find someone who has had this injury and see how they sorted it.

Intend on ragging myself solid at selection which wouldn't cause a problem, but I wouldnt last a week at Sandhurst with this problem.

Edit: Doc advised me trying for selection then postponing Sandhurst intake as I will be waiting ages for consultation/MRI.

Also-the GP sent off my med records last week so would the medical chaps at Sandhurst get the updated records now that I have seen him this week???
  6. If you're finding it hard going down stairs and no up stairs then it sounds more like Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) problems, as stated above, get an appointment with a physio who will then conduct tests to find out the cause and if it is ACL then a MRI will show the extent of the damage. Hopefully it's just a minor tear and a few strands have gone, but left unchecked it can turn into a bit of a nightmare.
  7. Just to add guys. It feels absolutly fine right now with no pain, I can run up and down the stairs, can step off that leg etc but the problem comes about an hour after prolonged exercise and will last for roughly 12hrs.
  8. That signifies a problem of some sorts mate. REST IT. Get it sorted professionally, take advice on prevention. Simples :wink:
  9. Sounds exactly the same to what I've been through with ITB syndrome. Pain comes on after a mile or so, I had it for a day and then fine while resting. As mentioned get it professionally diagnosed and go from there. I've paid out on physio, specific running shoes (or you can get inserts made for you, which can be transferred into boots when needed) and I have been fine since. Though I went for a big run without them once and the pain comes back. So see what becomes of the scan and if it turns out to be ITB then it is fairky good news as it can be rectified and no op needed etc...
  10. Pompey- cheers for the reply. Finally someone who has had this injury, having been reading on it this morning apparently it is quite common. Also read that you can massage the TFL and the reason for the pain is that it shortens and so rubs on the knee??

If it is diagnosed officialy as such, what work did the physio do on it?
  11. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Went to my professional sports massage therapist. He pinpointed the source of my knee pain - in this case a tight groin; told me which stretches to do. I did them. Two days later the pain was absolutely gone. This is about the 7th time he's fixed various pains like that.

Until a few years ago, I would have relied totally on a doctor. But many of those chaps don't know how muscles interact because they don't think that way - so for muscular stuff it's best to also seek out an experienced massage professional (shut it!) or physio. Otherwise, you'll end up on painkillers or with a costly operation, where the right stretches would have done the trick much quicker and better. Beware of chiropractors, though!
  12. Hello DD, this is Old Rat.

My twopennorth, based on very recent experience.
    Treat this as a potential all time show stopper. "Actions On" should commence with a web search for the absolute best sports physio available. Combine it with mates' recommendations, but take them with a pinch of... Make your own mind up. I can recommend a Midlands based practice if it's of use. When you've found one, interrogate them robustly as to the exact nature of the injury, until you fully understand it yourself. As well as treating the injury with manipulation, ultra-sound, perhaps acupuncture, a good physio will analyse your gait on video. They will also provide an exercise regime. Follow it to the letter, to the minute. They will advise on when you may recommence training. Do not anticipate that date by one hour, no matter how frustrated you become. A top level physio will be able to arrange a scan for you much more quickly that the NHS, if deemed necessary. If you are advised to defer Westbury, do so. Use the extra time to prepare to an even greater degree in all the non physical areas.

The good news is that you're not looking at brain surgery consultancy fees here. Initial assessment and first treatment will be in the order of £50 -£70. Treatments thereafter say £50 a time(ish)

This may sound just the teeniest bit hysterical. But not one hundredth part as bad as to have the wretched thing blow up again on course.

Very best of luck.

Old Rat, Out.
  13. Just to add that if you google ITB exercises you will find plently that you should be doing daily which will help, they DO make a difference. The physios will / should give you exercises to do, as well as their treatment pf sports massage and ultra sound. Only downside is cost of treatment sessions and then the cost of new specific running shoes and maybe bespoke insoles that will cost about £200 +.

Hope you get it sorted.
  14. Are your outer quads more developed than your inside quads? It's possible that due to tightness on the outside of the leg it's pulling your knee cap out of place. Just something to consider, that's often the cause of my outer knee pain on my right leg and with good massage and work to align the knee cap through working my inner thighs it disappears again for a good period. But yes, listen to your mate and the doc - flexibility is important. If you rock up at RMAS with flexibility issues you're just gonna keep getting tears and problems. Good luck.

EDIT: You may want to go private and keep it off your docs record....

I also highly recommend acupuncture as a cure for muscle/tendons and ligaments and general inflammation.
  15. I developed a spot if ITB after a few months of heavy running last year. What brought it up was me suddenly upping the weekly milage AND doing some hill sprints but being too impatient to walk back down (I ran down which is not good on a tarmaced road). The result was about 3 months off running.
    I did take about 1 month off training as a whole, worked on my flexibility issues during that time and then spent 2 months strengthening the tendon around the knee joint, and now the issue is gone.

Although now I have developed a spot of Plantar fasciitis, which is a thorough pain in the bum. I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago and did some testing runs after 3 weeks of rest (some light 6-7 milers around the lovely coastline of cornwall), stretching it out as much as possible before and afterwards and it held up ok.

I'm trying to let it rest now and do non impact phy, however I'm doing a 9 mile mountain run on Saturday in Ireland, so I don't think that will make it overly happy. After that I foresee a few weeks of complete rest.

I would like everyone highly recommend a physio.

I think the issue with running is upping the milage too quickly as inflammation sets in too afterwards.