outdated??

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by justforlaughs, Dec 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are the traditions of the mess still relevant in todays society?

2. Depend's upon your type of mess young man :wink:

3. The traditions of the Mess are what sets the Forces apart from the rest of society.

4. Nope. I especially like the one where no one can go for a piss until the Badge says you can, what a hoot.

I still use that particular gem on the family when we all sit down for special dinners.

How I love to see the little ones faces as they realise they have seepage. :D

5. Bill Ti4222e's passtime :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Oh here we go, another bleeding heart liberal! If you don't like it, hand your banana's in and feck off down to some wnaky ikea-esque wine bar you cnut

7. I like to think our traditions are what make us better than 'today's society'. After all we don't have chavs and doleys in the Mess. Nor do we have regular stabbings.

If you don't like the mess you are in, work to change it (ie turn up to mess meetings) or hand your tapes in and join the privates in the pig's bar.

8. Any specific traditions, or is this just the wah / flame for a Saturday?

How do you answer your own question?

9. What about the tradition of getting one of the mess staff/waiters to say that you have an urgent phone call halfway through a dinner night so you can have a piss?

10. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

As I have often said with out traditions we are nothing more than civilians or RAF.

11. I remember getting stitched up big time as a very junior Sgt - tasked with arranging a dinner night - infact my first ever mess function.

One of the senior WO's said for me to print off a page or seven of mess rules and traditions for each person attending the function (miss no one out he said) - you know the stuff - pass the port this way or that way, the bottle must not leave the table blah blah blah.

Anyway I print it off and as instructed put one in every attendees mail box.............

Gripped by several senior members and even more senior guests each pointing out that they had been in the mess longer than I had been alive and that they didn't need my handy work.

Lesson learnt, never trusted that particular WO (now commisioned) ever again.

Wizard Wheeze!

12. Vinho do Porto!!

Vinho do Porto!!

Vinho do Porto!!

Don't understand ? ... that will cost you another bottle of Vinho do Porto

The traditions are fine - it's the subsequent gout that's a tw@t!!

13. What is mess life like today? Does all the business still get done on a friday afternoon? Are ladies banned from the bar? Are honorary members still permitted under the same conditions? I left the mess in 1994 and hardly ever go to formal clubs.