"Out on the Ulu"

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by johno2499, Jun 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the origin, please anyone? One of my instructors was very fond of the phrase way back when in basic training. He claimed to have "done a bit" for the Rhodesian Army.

2. It's Malay for Jungle

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

No idea - ask Tropper!

I do know that the phrase was in use in the 1960's, I often heard it and used it myself, although I would have said Out in the Ulu.

4. I did Google this first. No luck - as with the link above. Thanks Jack - your answer explains why the phrase is used in "The Virgin Soldiers".

5. Yeah, on[b/] the ulu sounds a bit odd to me.

6. I tend not to respond to cyber warriors VG.

7. Malay "up-river", which is where it gets jungly, so used to refer to a remote jungle area.

8. Thanks, folks. My recollection is "on" rather than "in" - but it's a long time ago....

9. Correct, Ulu in Malayan means the source of a river, Hutan means jungle, Ibans would use the word Ulu as deep jungle

10. Sometimes used when in deep shit

11. A Rhodie WALT , one of many.

No it was "out in the BUNDU" in Rhodesia

.Ulu I believe was a bit futher East.

12. Kerrrekt!, did plenty of it too, as a riverrat in Brooners and Koochers, as we jungle wallahs called them.

13. was used a lot by the instructors at the jungle warfare school in khota tingi in johore state,

14. Ulu/bundu/bush/veldt were all in use in the latter 70s.
    There was a Rhodesian contingent in the Malaya campaign so this consistent with above.
    I seem to recall John Edmondson using the phrase in one of his Troopie Songs.
    But I believe it should have been "out in[from] the ulu".

15. It's actually a term Cecil Rhodes used for outdoor sex with his many male secretaries.