"Out on the Ulu"

What's the origin, please anyone? One of my instructors was very fond of the phrase way back when in basic training. He claimed to have "done a bit" for the Rhodesian Army.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No idea - ask Tropper!

I do know that the phrase was in use in the 1960's, I often heard it and used it myself, although I would have said Out in the Ulu.

I did Google this first. No luck - as with the link above. Thanks Jack - your answer explains why the phrase is used in "The Virgin Soldiers".

No idea - ask Tropper!

I do know that the phrase was in use in the 1960's, I often heard it and used it myself, although I would have said Out in the Ulu.
Yeah, on[b/] the ulu sounds a bit odd to me.

I tend not to respond to cyber warriors VG.

Thanks, folks. My recollection is "on" rather than "in" - but it's a long time ago....

What's the origin, please anyone? One of my instructors was very fond of the phrase way back when in basic training. He claimed to have "done a bit" for the Rhodesian Army.
A Rhodie WALT , one of many.

No it was "out in the BUNDU" in Rhodesia

.Ulu I believe was a bit futher East.

Malay "up-river", which is where it gets jungly, so used to refer to a remote jungle area.
Kerrrekt!, did plenty of it too, as a riverrat in Brooners and Koochers, as we jungle wallahs called them.

was used a lot by the instructors at the jungle warfare school in khota tingi in johore state,

Ulu/bundu/bush/veldt were all in use in the latter 70s.
There was a Rhodesian contingent in the Malaya campaign so this consistent with above.
I seem to recall John Edmondson using the phrase in one of his Troopie Songs.
But I believe it should have been "out in[from] the ulu".

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
trust you to bring that up!

go on then I'll bite - and what did he use for lubrication oh fountain of 'wrong hole' knowledge?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Ulu is also a kurdish forename Ulu Beg being one of the nationals heroes