Our World War BBC3

Dont think much of the music, seems much at odds . I expect its another programme produced by 25 year olds ...

It was trying to be a bit 'Band of Brothers' on a fraction of the budget. No doubt 25 year olds were heavily involved with the production due to it being stuffed full of stereotypes i.e. Cheeky cockney, dour Scotsman, clumsy bumbling crow etc. excellent touch at the end though with the revealing of the VCs won.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I believe those actual VCs are held at the Tower of London, PWRR/Fusilier museum.

Someone seems to have got their 4th City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) mixed up with the 4th Bn, Royal Fusiliers, as the fusiliers at Mons were regs and not TF. Which begs the question: why was Lt. Dease wearing an Imperial Service badge on his Service Dress? I'm pretty certain that Dease held a regular commission. It also begs the question why a sapper would keep referring to his corporal as 'Sir'? - and why his corporal would keep on letting him get away with it?

I'm also sure that 'Eat lead kraut motherfuckers!' would not be standard vernacular for 1914 - but I'm making that last bit up... like the scriptwriters obviously have.

Last edited:
It's BBC3; written by teenagers with minimal attention spans, for teenagers with minimal attention spans (or at least, written by cynical arts graduates convinced that they understand what will appeal to teenagers with short attention spans).

I thought it was pretty good and more than good enough to show people with no idea about what it's like to be in any kind of firefight (you know, the 99% of the UK population who've never been on an operational tour and actually been shot at) what it was like for the lads holding the bridges at Mons.

The attention to detail was high, and yet they ballsed up on basic stuff - like a distinct lack of bayonets.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I turned off when it showed an RE full screw giving an officer a bollocking, very loudly and in front of the men and the officer just smiling and letting him get away with it.

That just would not have happened in 1914.

Missed that bit (making a brew). Just re-watched and... [sigh] the case for the prosecution is rested m'lud.

anyone else notice how well that machine gun fired without any bullets in the belt? :rolleyes:

I was more concerned with the extremely poor sighting of the Vickers gun. half the field of fire was masked by the bridge to the right and it was actually dug in below the height of the far bank with only a narrow field of fire to the front.

p023fx53.jpg

I'm sure they would have sited it out to a flank so that it would have been able to sweep the entire far bank and the bridge itself with fire.

Am I expecting too much from the BBC to get the basics right?

Visually however I thought it looked pretty good, except for the weird animated runner chappie which was somewhat strange. Verbal messages to a company commander stating "intelligence say this...Intelligence says that"? I don't think so - it would have been written messages with stuff like "How long can you hold? Send ammunition status etc etc"

As expected however, it was based more around how people see modern soldiers behave on TV, rather than reflecting the attitudes and social mores of the Army of 1914.

Good effort though - at least they didn't have to have the cast wearing appallingly shaped berets.

Rodney2q

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good effort though - at least they didn't have to have the cast wearing appallingly shaped berets.

Rodney2q

Not surprising really as the vast majority of the cast came from Soldier Blue, a casting company consisting of ex and serving squaddies run by a couple of ex squaddies.

It's BBC3; written by teenagers with minimal attention spans, for teenagers with minimal attention spans (or at least, written by cynical arts graduates convinced that they understand what will appeal to teenagers with short attention spans).

Hence da funky music innit. For maintaining dem kidz attention.

Not surprising really as the vast majority of the cast came from Soldier Blue, a casting company consisting of ex and serving squaddies run by a couple of ex squaddies.

Everyday a schoolday! Cheers mate.

Good drills for the chaps who thought of starting the company.

Rodney2q

Do you think he's got any parts available as a slightly overweight, scruffy Staff Officer?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Given the background of the Soldier Blue boys I am quite surprised they let the production get away with the crap points detailed above. No military adviser listed - and even then they can miss small stuff which gets yer proper battlefield guide type WW1 buffs wound up.

Glad I'm not the only one who was waiting in vain for the Jock RE corporal to use the immortal phrase
' Don't call me Sir - I work for a living'

I thought the action sequences were well done, despite the GTA style soundtrack.

Any space left on the Arrse Mons tour in October ? S-o-o-o tempted.

I turned off when it showed an RE full screw giving an officer a bollocking, very loudly and in front of the men and the officer just smiling and letting him get away with it.

That just would not have happened in 1914.

Please tell me you remembered that guy from still game.

"It says Nosmo King. Good guy, Nosmo."

"Whit? You smoked yer leg aff?"

Last edited:
Being an uneducated pleb I enjoyed it - although largely for what it was. I noticed many small mistakes too (the corporal being refered to as 'Sir' was really grating) but for a bit of an action buzz and to really deliver an impact as to how much of a travesty the whole thing was, it did a good job. Pointing out that within the first 2 minutes there were 500 German casualties was smart and lifting the camera to an overhead shot of the action helped to put the whole thing into perspective. They made a point of showing you the gravity of the situation for both sides.

I know very little about World War 1 (had always read up on WW2 and learned about that in history) but I have to ask - the way the Germans kept marching into the oncoming machine gun fire as they approached the bridge - is it accurate? Would they really have walked right through that fire even after the first line fell?

Latest Threads