"Our War" BBC3 Raw Helmet Cam Footage

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Your_Mums_Pal, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our War

Saw this on the BBC News website (BBC News - Life at war captured through the eyes of soldiers) where the article generally discussed the idea that such raw footage was mostly unavailable to anybody but the soldiers who filmed it. Seemingly the documentary is 'unvarnished' and shows the reality of life in Afghanistan, not just for young soldiers but for older veterans and experienced seniors as well as families back home.

It'll first be shown on the 7th of June.

2. I started a thread and posted a link 5 days ago to no interest...which was surprising. Looks really good!

3. I was interviewed for this programme and gave some video footage. Hopefully it'll show what the realities for the troops on the ground doing the fighting are really like.

• Like Like x 6
  4. I honestly didn't realise that you'd been on Herrick, Fally, I'd always pegged you as one of the much older crowd.

No offense and all that - please don't rip my anus out with a racing spoon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. There was loads of footage taken from H4. I remember OC A Coy, 3 PARA saying "put the ******* cameras down, and get some rounds down the range!"

6. Haha, I've always been very surprised that filming is allowed, I'd imagine such things would be very strictly banned. Pissing around on operations is generally a no-no and I imagine fannying about to strap a camera to your helmet can be quite time consuming and a bit of a daft looking concept. Yet on the BBC preview it's quite clearly a Plt Sgt looking for the casualty. It seems like the idea was really popular even for seniors over there.

7. I am still serving mucker. :) Was on Herrick 4, 8, 11, and 13 but last two more in a teaching capacity.

8. 3 PARA eh? Or something close to that?

9. Yep. Gungy three.

10. Your mum, I thought you wrote ' something close to HAT!'

11. Don't tempt fate, you bastard. He'll come up and rip me several new *********.

Christ I cannae get last nights **** off my mind...

12. You'll never really be able to show that in a video, book or interview. The vast majority of people have never been in a comparable situation, and simply can't relate.

You can tell someone that a tour is 6 months long, but 6 months doesn't seem all that long until you're 5 months in. You can tell someone that the troops haven't slept for 3 days, but very few civvies have ever gone that long without sleep. You can tell show a clip of the troops route clearing, but very few civvies know what it's like to inch forward waiting for a bang.

13. Big Fella was he?

14. I gave up trying to explain this to my family and friends long ago, even the REMFs I currently work with can't grasp what soldiers on the front line living out of WMIKs or PBs have to endure over a 7 month deployment.

15. Yep. Most soldiers haven't a clue what it's like to be in close contact with the enemy to be honest.

• Like Like x 1