Our veterans deserve the best of care alongside the wounded

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by UKForcesAfghanistan, Aug 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gen Sir Richard Dannatt writes an intelligent piece in today's Telegraph on the level of care afforded to veterans compared to that given to those wounded and still serving.

Read more here

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Everybody wants to help the handsome limbless young soldier, but it gets a bit different when he's 80, senile and sitting in his own shit

3. Nail on head Jim24

Thankfully the RBL does more than bricks and mortar, unlike some charidees.
    Even if it's just getting an old sailor or Waaf out for a day trip or providing carers breaks.

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I'm as we speak having a conversation with someone who wants to start another holiday type charity, when most ex service people need help with jobsworth council workers, the cnuts at the Veterans Agency, and the probably unqualified Asian doctors they have to put up with to get their pensions

5. Facts not opinions!

6. The problem with the RBL is that it is broke, even allowing for the 'donation' made by Bliar. It cannot afford (or won't) rebuild the legion in Chesham burned down a couple of years ago (I was told by a member there that RBL are using every legal loophole to get out of rebuilding it), and has recently closed at least half a dozen of its 'super branches' because of the way it used its charitable monies.
    It is a great shame but the RBL still has the 'old-n-bold' image and not that of the modern serviceman. Go into any RBL branch and you will find 95% over 70 and very few of the younger serving and ex-serving.
    Also, there are around 50+ charities all (allegedly) looking after the interests of the wounded and discharged service personnel and whilst some are brilliant (Help for Heroes, Arrse, etc) there are a few led by high-ranking ex-1* & 2*s who use their name to promote very little.
    There should be a root and branch review of a lot of the service charities and it should not just be the retired generals who get elevated to the top jobs. I would hate to see the RBL fold but it struggles to attract the young element

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I totally agree, there are far to many all struggling for the public's pound, but there are also a number of conning cnuts around out to make a fast buck