Our opening day

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Oct 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

yesterday despite the forecast for clouds and wind we had a scorcher of an open day, not many birds shot and to be honest not many more presented but its still early and leaves are on the trees so cover is very good. best turn out ever, 12 guns and 9 beaters with 15 dogs.

I'm not sure the new guns believed me when I said it was better than last year but looking in the game register opening day last year netted a single Cock Pheasant!

Attached Files:

2. Yes it was a good day and as usual you worked the beaters well.- thanks

Sorry to miss the next date but the rest of the season is ok ,oh, and I must sort some stalking in Nov too
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well there are plenty of Does about, should be a good season. It did me good to scatter Sheba's ashes at the start of her drive.
    I dont know how many beaters we will get next time but it certainly was enough this time!
  4. How much lead, did you have to give the water bottle?????
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

About 2 ounces!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps!
  6. Wish it was in my larder!
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well if you and Claypig can make it I'm sure our Christmas eve shoot will be quiet but I believe he wants to attend the New years eve one!
  8. I have my first day this Saturday coming! Still umming and ahhing over to take the dog for her first day? Thinking its probably best save it for day 2 once I know the guys a bit better.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well it all depends on how well behaved the dog is and how well trained you are?
  10. Shes started responding to hand signals well in the last 3 weeks, she works of the stop and recall around 80% of the time. My main concern is that she is not steady off the lead, she likes to explore so I would be taking a anchor with me.

I suppose my main concern is that she has only retrieved a pigeon so far and still has puppyish play tendencies with some dummies. I don't want her to get hold of a bird and run off and not deliver it to hand.

I've just convinced myself in writing this out that shes not coming this Saturday. She will be going the week after when I'm beating as she will be good working in the cover crops and wood blocks. She wont disstract me on the peg either.
  11. I can see a game pie there
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm sure she will be fine, some dogs do better with a bit of picking up followed by a days beating rather than the other way around.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It will be better once the woodcock arrive, then we will have a real feast!
  14. Where do you shoot, I haven't got my guns any more but can still beat.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Down in East Sussex, near Bexhill