Our opening day

ugly

LE
yesterday despite the forecast for clouds and wind we had a scorcher of an open day, not many birds shot and to be honest not many more presented but its still early and leaves are on the trees so cover is very good. best turn out ever, 12 guns and 9 beaters with 15 dogs.

I'm not sure the new guns believed me when I said it was better than last year but looking in the game register opening day last year netted a single Cock Pheasant!

Attachments

Yes it was a good day and as usual you worked the beaters well.- thanks

Sorry to miss the next date but the rest of the season is ok ,oh, and I must sort some stalking in Nov too
Cheers

ugly

LE
Well there are plenty of Does about, should be a good season. It did me good to scatter Sheba's ashes at the start of her drive.
I dont know how many beaters we will get next time but it certainly was enough this time!

How much lead, did you have to give the water bottle?????

ugly

LE
How much lead, did you have to give the water bottle?????

About 2 ounces!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps!

ugly

LE
Well if you and Claypig can make it I'm sure our Christmas eve shoot will be quiet but I believe he wants to attend the New years eve one!

I have my first day this Saturday coming! Still umming and ahhing over to take the dog for her first day? Thinking its probably best save it for day 2 once I know the guys a bit better.

ugly

LE
Well it all depends on how well behaved the dog is and how well trained you are?

Shes started responding to hand signals well in the last 3 weeks, she works of the stop and recall around 80% of the time. My main concern is that she is not steady off the lead, she likes to explore so I would be taking a anchor with me.

I suppose my main concern is that she has only retrieved a pigeon so far and still has puppyish play tendencies with some dummies. I don't want her to get hold of a bird and run off and not deliver it to hand.

I've just convinced myself in writing this out that shes not coming this Saturday. She will be going the week after when I'm beating as she will be good working in the cover crops and wood blocks. She wont disstract me on the peg either.

yesterday despite the forecast for clouds and wind we had a scorcher of an open day, not many birds shot and to be honest not many more presented but its still early and leaves are on the trees so cover is very good. best turn out ever, 12 guns and 9 beaters with 15 dogs.

I'm not sure the new guns believed me when I said it was better than last year but looking in the game register opening day last year netted a single Cock Pheasant!
I can see a game pie there

ugly

LE
I'm sure she will be fine, some dogs do better with a bit of picking up followed by a days beating rather than the other way around.

ugly

LE
It will be better once the woodcock arrive, then we will have a real feast!
Where do you shoot, I haven't got my guns any more but can still beat.

ugly

LE
Down in East Sussex, near Bexhill

Used to beat on the Earl De La Warrs estate, at Withyham.

Shes started responding to hand signals well in the last 3 weeks, she works of the stop and recall around 80% of the time. My main concern is that she is not steady off the lead, she likes to explore so I would be taking a anchor with me.

I suppose my main concern is that she has only retrieved a pigeon so far and still has puppyish play tendencies with some dummies. I don't want her to get hold of a bird and run off and not deliver it to hand.

I've just convinced myself in writing this out that shes not coming this Saturday. She will be going the week after when I'm beating as she will be good working in the cover crops and wood blocks. She wont disstract me on the peg either.
First day beating on Saturday with my latest addition, a 14 month working cocker dog, and I've got similar reservations about how he'll cope with all the distractions he doesn't get when we're out training with the dummy.

It's a chilled, driven shoot, which I've taken my two working cocker bitches on for the last couple of seasons, and will be left at home till the boy settles in.

I'm hoping that keeping him on an extending lead untill the last third of each drive will help him settle to game.

Any other top tips, as he seems much livelier than the bitches at that age ?

ugly

LE
First day beating on Saturday with my latest addition, a 14 month working cocker dog, and I've got similar reservations about how he'll cope with all the distractions he doesn't get when we're out training with the dummy.

It's a chilled, driven shoot, which I've taken my two working cocker bitches on for the last couple of seasons, and will be left at home till the boy settles in.

I'm hoping that keeping him on an extending lead untill the last third of each drive will help him settle to game.

Any other top tips, as he seems much livelier than the bitches at that age ?
Dont bother with an extending lead or tracking line, if he wont behave put him on a normal lead, I have had people turn up with long lines and they get frustrated and wound up as does the dog because its unnatural.
I find taking the dogs for a quick run first before I get to the shoot helps. I ran 10 spaniels last weekend and they are in the truck for about an hour after arriving whilst we have breakfast and shoot briefing etc. There is nowhere for them to run around so its tough on them. You could keep the dog on the lead at heel till the last 100 or so yards of each drive in the morning. The dog may learn that this is normal but I rely on them staying together as a pack and never run a new dog on its own.

ugly

LE
Used to beat on the Earl De La Warrs estate, at Withyham.
Dont come to our lowly shoot then it will only be a dissapointment!

Our first day produced 3 hens, 1 cock and 1 rabbit. Not much else seen all day and it was red hot.

One shot - one hen for the day so I was more than happy!