Our National Anthem

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Lepus, Jun 12, 2006.

?
  1. God Save the Queen

41.7%
  2. Land of Hope and Glory

25.0%
  3. I Vow to Thee My Country

16.7%
  4. Jerusalem

16.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the subject of National Anthems, what is the general opinion on it? Should it be changed?

My nomination is that old hymn "I vow to thee my country", I prefer it to "Land of Hope and Glory". Although I do believe that all three are worthy candidates. I do however think that Jerusalem is possibly not rousing enough to be the anthem.

Discuss:

Rab

2. Interesting to note that the three suggested alternatives are all hymns to one's country, as opposed to the National Anthem which is a declaration of loyalty to the sovereign. If we move away from the national Anthem, are we moving away from the concept of loyalty to the Crown - the Crown being the epitome of the nation. Interesting idea. Given the erosion of the place of the monarch in the nation, you might find a ground swell of support - especially from the republican movement.

3. Jerusalem also states 'in England's green and plesant land' - are you trying to up set the Scots Welsh and Northern Irish or just being a t!t?

You forgot to have 'keep god save the queen' on your poll, slight boob there (now you're a pair of t!ts)!

Answers on a post card to the usual address

4. God Save the Queen is the first option mate...............

5. But the other countries have their own National Anthems :)

6. True, but the NATIONAL anthem is the one that represents the NATION, said nation being the UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND! Check you passport, warrent or commision parchment, that's the 'nation' you belong to!

You make no mention of it being 'a song for Eng-er- land' poll - slopy admin, bad drills, take 3 extras (and a further five for not noticing my deliberate mistake!)

7. Unfinished Sympathy is an Anthem of the highest order. You should've included that ;)

8. God Save the Queen for the UK and Jerusalem for the English Anthem

9. Xplosiverab

Jerusalem can be a very stirring tune when sung well. One has to remember however that William Blake's lyrics make reference to England and not Scotland. If this is to be the anthem of the united kingdom it must be discounted.

God save the queen is my choice. Although with pillocks like you floating about wanting to change the national anthem... hang on. why do we even need a monarchy? Ah so God save the queen must be discounted too on the grounds that in a couple of years, if anti-establisment scumbags like you have your way, it will be no longer appropriate.

I vow to thee my country is a nice one. Unfortunately it has quite a complex tune in comparrison to the existing anthem. we only need look at saturday's football match to realise that some of our underclass scum subjects have enough difficulty with simple chanting let alone anything which involves actually trying to sing. I feel that this song must be ommited from the selection on the grounds that it would be too hard for the thickies.

Land of Hope and Glory is of course extremely rascist and in our politically correct society might offend muslims who are of the opinion that the true land of hope and glory can only be reached by blowing yourself and those around you into little bits. Quite frankly I'm surprised we are still allowed to have a national anthem at all.

Perhaps we could keep the same tune but change the words slightly to make them more appealing

GOD/ALLAH/INSERT DIETY OF YOUR CHOICE SAVE OUR QUEEN WHO IS A SIMPLE FIGUREHEAD AND NO WAY SUPERIOR TO US AS WE STRIVE TOWARDS A CLASSLESS SOCIETY

LONG LIVE OUR NOBLE (EQUALLY NOBLE TO THE RESTO OF SOCIETY) QUEEN PROVIDING SHE WAITS IN THE NHS QUEUES LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE

GOD/ALLAH/HALLAL SAVE THE QUEEN

TRA LA LA LA

SEND HER VICTORIOUS (PROVIDING THAT HER SOLDIERS CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR SHOOTING HER ENEMIES)

HAPPY AND GLORIOUS

LONG TO REIGN OVER US PURELY AS A FIGUREHEAD WITH NO AUTHORITY OR ADMINISTRATIVE POWERS

GOD/ALLAH/FUCKING KOSHER SAVE THE QUEEN

fcuking change the national anthem?

fcucking puff

why don't we change the name of the country too? lets face it Britain is hardly a brand name anymore.

Yours Aye

truly disgusted

10. God Save the Queen is, objectively speaking, an awful dirge and Jerusalem's a grand tune (on hearing it for the first time, King George V said that he preferred that Jerusalem replace God Save The King as the National Anthem) but the words are hatstand. viz "And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England?" Well, no, they didn't but it did the job in the Great War. Land of H&G's rather jingo lingo even for us so we need a happy medium and I'm boogered if I can think of one. So I shan't.

11. Lairdx mate, I havn't suggested changing it at all.

What I advocate is that if there HAS to be a change, then my nomination would be I vow to Thee My Country. I am not one of these members of the PC brigade. Believe me, I'm perfectly happy with God Save the Queen, to quote Captain Darling, I know all the verses! I merely recognised that there is a consensus of opinion out there that belive that there should be a change, and thought it would be interesting to see what strength this opinion has.

Rab

12. I'm not a religious man, so the God part in 'God save the Queen' technically holds no meaning for me. However, the Queen part does. It's my national anthem and that's the ways I bloody likes it.

13. Bollocks. If that is a widespread opinion all it proves it that there is a large cross section of our society who are not fit to have an opinion.
    What I advocate is suppression of civil liberties for all those who wish to undermine our existing values and traditions.

....you sure you aren't a bloody social worker?

14. Absolutely, im not a social worker. I really think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. Like I said, im happy with God Save the Queen, and was interested to see what others thought. There really isn't any need to read any deeper into it than that.

15. Keep digging sunshine, like I said before, sloppy admin, bad drills! (Hint, get the wordy wordy right before you hit submit and you won't have the membership after you for said sloppy admin and bad drills in compostion of what could have been an interestin debate) 8)