Our European Friends

Belgium has withdrawn its last 2 Alouette lll from duty.

AlouetteIII-adieu-coxyde.jpg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don't suppose that there are any Alouettes left in French service?

Oyibo

LE
End of an era. I was medevaced ("evasan'ed") from the field by Alouette in Djibouti in late 1982 or early 1983.

I was on a Himalayan expedition with the Indian Army (and a few other nations) to climb Nanda Devi. Very sadly, an American SF guy fell from the summit - he tripped on his crampons.

The only helicopter able to go high enough to search for his body was the Alouette (Nanda Devi is 25,643ft), which the Indian Forces duly sent.

Unfortunately they didn't find him.

I seem to remember they were used a lot by the French in the Alps for mountain rescue.

Yes, the Alouette lll were very popular in the mountains. An Alouette pilot once told me they could fly for ever but the operating costs are now of a different era....

The Lama combined the engine of the Alouette lll with the fuselage of the Alouette ll and is, l believe, still the holder of many RW mountain records.

I was on a Himalayan expedition with the Indian Army (and a few other nations) to climb Nanda Devi. Very sadly, an American SF guy fell from the summit - he tripped on his crampons.

The only helicopter able to go high enough to search for his body was the Alouette (Nanda Devi is 25,643ft), which the Indian Forces duly sent.

I seem to remember they were used a lot by the French in the Alps for mountain rescue.
The French used Indian Forces to recuse people in the Alps?

I heard that this was the Panther featured in an issue of 'After the Battle' as a scrapyard find.
Shame on the German authorities for their theft.
Putting an 80 plus year old through all that!
Confiscate his firearms and ammunition, yes, of course; but his tank?

Not quite the Himalaya but tricky all the same...an Austrian army Alouette III going about its business in the fog earlier this week

1628140631793.png

1628140612160.png

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Joint Spanish Guardia Civil and French Gendarmerie patrol in Spain on the paths leading to Santiago de Compostela

View attachment 597877
Looks like a sensible arrangement. We should encourage more cooperation with foreign law enforcement agencies especially when dealing with foreign nationals in corridors or at international events.

I believe we have arrangements with the French at the Channel Tunnel entrances.

Looks like a sensible arrangement. We should encourage more cooperation with foreign law enforcement agencies especially when dealing with foreign nationals in corridors or at international events.

I believe we have arrangements with the French at the Channel Tunnel entrances.

I have already seen British PCs on rhe northern French coast, pre migrant crisis.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have already seen British PCs on rhe northern French coast, pre migrant crisis.
The English police are allowed to hottrod across the borders into Scotland and vice versa.

Latest Threads