Our Colonel In Chief

He's specifically stated that he did not want a State Funeral and all the gubbins that it is associated with.
Yes I see this sort of thing being trotted out.
So a man who spent a great part of his life involved with uniforms and pageantry didn't want a fuss being made,
Of course he didn't.

ACAB

LE
So a man who spent a great part of his life involved with uniforms and pageantry didn't want a fuss being made,
Of course he didn't.
Read the above post then.

green_slime

War Hero
His funeral will be quiet, but I trust his wakes and memorials will be numerous and raucous (Covid compliant of course).

His life is being celebrated with beer, champagne and pink gins here.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Of course he didn't.

I think you may be wrong:

"A lot of time and energy," he told students and staff at the Chesterfield College of Technology, "has been spent on arranging for you to listen to me to take a long time to declare open a building which everyone knows is open already."

According to the Telegraph today his funeral will be a low key affair but the military units he was associated with will be represented in some form and the Corps was mentioned.

the Corps was mentioned
I didn't see that. This was interesting:
It was the Duke’s “great interest in design” which inspired him to help design the modified Land Rover that he wanted to carry his coffin. A second, support vehicle will also be on site.
A tremendously good idea to have a LR carrying the coffin. Just as good to have a recovery truck nearby.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Our Colonel Commandant was in top form and looking dead martial. For a man who probably hasn't done any drill at all since Sandhurst, he cut a very proper figure indeed.

Brilliant, low-key but dignified, precise and impeccable funeral. Top marks all round, especially to the eight poor Royal pallbearers who had an incredibly hard job.

green_slime

War Hero
Indeed, a credit all round.

I thought the Corps Col did well as well btw.

There was a nice moment on Talk Radio around 1700 with Tom Tugendhat mentioning some nice moments regarding HRH, and giving him credit for the Corps Mess kit. Perhaps not the Duke's finest memoriam.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed, a credit all round.

I thought the Corps Col did well as well btw.

There was a nice moment on Talk Radio around 1700 with Tom Tugendhat mentioning some nice moments regarding HRH, and giving him credit for the Corps Mess kit. Perhaps not the Duke's finest memoriam.
Mind you. we're still the only Corps in the Army which allows you to identify precisely where folk were serving by the colour of their Mess kit. My own was neon-Cypriot.

I never actually met him. I contrived to be on sick leave when he visited Ashford but he was a true friend to the Corps and a glass will be raised in his direction this evening.

As is the way of these things, a successor as Colonel-in Chief will have been 'tapped up' some time back. I wonder who it will be. Harry is out of the running. Edward would be a likely favourite at the 'Greenfly bookies' especially as he is in line to take the Dukedom of Edinburgh.

An outside tenner on Kate Cambridge?

Dining-in evenings would be graced by a real beauty.
Know nothing about her personality other than what the media put out - but I'd guess she is at least - pleasant.

TamH70

MIA
Bone question alert - is the Rose bit of the Rose and Laurel thingy a reference to the Latin phrase "Sub Rosa", or "Under the rose" being used to refer to keeping secrets?

If so, I think it fits the Corps. Very classy, unlike that for my own Corps - a bare butt guy with wingy ankles, a snakey staff and a wingy hat on his head.

green_slime

War Hero
It is the Loyal Rose and as such denotes loyalty to the Crown and has a parallel to Sub Rosa.

Some have been known to refer to the symbolism as a pansy resting on its laurels but I could not possibly comment.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some have been known to refer to the symbolism as a pansy resting on its laurels but I could not possibly comment.
Then let me help: the pansy bit is unfair, the laurels bit is spot on.

I didn't see that. This was interesting:

A tremendously good idea to have a LR carrying the coffin. Just as good to have a recovery truck nearby.

A sticker sometimes seen on Land Cruisers in these parts - 'Land Rover Recovery Vehicle'.

It is the Loyal Rose and as such denotes loyalty to the Crown and has a parallel to Sub Rosa.

'Twas ever thus - or all least it was when my Old Man joined the Corps (1948 )

Last edited:
I don't know when the process for appointing a new Colonel in Chief begins (indeed it may have already commenced) bit I'd like to stick an outside (virtual) tenner on Sophie Wessex. She's very well grounded and intelligent and would be an ideal pick. I might drop her name to an old acquaintance who haunts the upper corridors of HQ these days (a far cry from the bar at Loughborough when he was on the pool tale with a cue up his....ahem, well enough about that particular incident except to say I have never seen a finer rendition by the Corps Formation Dance of the Flaming Arse'oles Team!)

Last edited:
I don't know when the process for appointing a new Colonel in Chief begins (indeed it may have already commenced) bit I'd like to stick an outside (virtual) tenner on Sophie Wessex. She's very well grounded and intelligent and would be an ideal pick. I might drop her name to an old acquaintance who haunts the upper corridors of HQ these days (a far cry from the bar at Loughborough when he was on the pool tale with a cue up his....ahem, well enough about that particular incident except to say I have never seen a finer rendition but the Corps Formation Dance of the Flaming Arse'oles Team!)
So he's the one. :p

Latest Threads